I have My 9780 & My Droid Pro which I Love!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-03-11 08:37 AM
    I have a 9700 and thinking of adding a Desire as a 2nd/backup phone. Would I be able to use the data from my BB plan on the Desire (I'm on Vodafone UK)?

Thanks in advance
    01-03-11 03:01 PM
    I have a 9700 and thinking of adding a Desire as a 2nd/backup phone. Would I be able to use the data from my BB plan on the Desire (I'm on Vodafone UK)?

Thanks in advance
    You will, but you won't be able to send/receive MMS on the Desire with an active BB data plan.
    Juxtapozed likes this.
    01-03-11 03:04 PM
    You will, but you won't be able to send/receive MMS on the Desire with an active BB data plan.
    So the internet will be fine to browse using the 500mb allowance I have. Aside from MMS restriction everything else should work fine?

Many many thanks for the quick reply Phill
    01-03-11 04:36 PM
    So the internet will be fine to browse using the 500mb allowance I have. Aside from MMS restriction everything else should work fine?

Many many thanks for the quick reply Phill
    That's right

Data for internet browsing, email delivery etc. will come out of your 500MB monthly allowance on the Desire; and if you keep your BB data plan, you can still swap back to your 9700 for MMS if needed... sorted!
    Juxtapozed likes this.
    01-03-11 05:01 PM
    Just wanted to thank both Jux for posing the question and Phill for the answer I wanted to hear.

I have my 9780 which I love, and just today got given a new little silver HTC Wildfire. Looking forward to having a play with Sense/Froyo, and it's really good to know I can go ahead using my existing BIS allowance without having to call O2 and swap my 'Bolt on' every time I want to change phones.

Cheers guys.

01-10-11 04:29 PM
    I had both the Galaxy S and 9700 for a while but I just knew I would never touch the 9700 again so I sold it.

I'm at the point where I'm about to do the exact opposite, having the exact same devices. My Android bores me to tears... love the apps and potential of open source market, but it's hideous... all touch screen phones are ugly. I've been using the 9700 for the last month or so and haven't once thought of my Vibrant.
    01-11-11 04:57 PM
    Different strokes for different folks. That is the best thing about mobile technology.
    01-11-11 07:31 PM
    Different strokes for different folks. That is the best thing about mobile technology.
    yeah having choice is always nice. I think BB don't try to catter the same customer base that android has. For one thing android is something that has the potential to work really well and please a lot of people but some other time it can be really frustrating because of the bugs or because it does things the certain way.
    I'd compare iOS with android before android vs rim
    01-11-11 08:12 PM
    The 5 blackberries are in the closet.
    01-11-11 11:47 PM
    I have a Galaxy and 8520. I got hundreds of bbm contacts cant just throw my blackberry away until i figure out how to keep contact with them. Ever since i use blackberry i dont have to have sms plan and i intend to keep it that way

01-12-11 01:40 AM
    I have a Galaxy and 8520. I got hundreds of bbm contacts cant just throw my blackberry away until i figure out how to keep contact with them. Ever since i use blackberry i dont have to have sms plan and i intend to keep it that way

I had a ton of BBM contacts too... but eventually, I was able to free myself of BBM.

Plus, with Android GV functionality, I don't need or use carrier texting.
    01-12-11 02:04 AM
    I have my old bb sitting in my nightstand. I don't see a reason to ever pull it out.
    01-12-11 09:33 AM
    I'm at the point where I'm about to do the exact opposite, having the exact same devices. My Android bores me to tears... love the apps and potential of open source market, but it's hideous... all touch screen phones are ugly. I've been using the 9700 for the last month or so and haven't once thought of my Vibrant.
    I, too, am getting to where I'm using my Android (LT Optimus T) less and less and my 9700 more. I love Android as a device to replace my Palm TX. It's great at browsing. I love the apps, like Google Sky and my scriptures application. Just really great devices. Unfortunately, for me, not a great phone or messaging device.

Here's my long list of why, after 3 Androids in the last four months, I'm still using my 9700:

1) No unified inbox. I have four email accounts, plus BBM, text and MMS on my 9700. They all come to the same inbox. I also get Tweets and Facebook updates in my inbox. All use the same simple interface. On my Androids, I have consolidated some of them, but still have four different inboxes: one for Gmail (personal), one for Yahoo (business), one for my work Exchange server (job), and another for SMS and MMS (mostly family messages).

Each one has a completely different interface. Huh, what's with that?

If you only need a personal Gmail account, you won't get why some of us, with more complex needs, have a problem here.

2) Fragmented, weak, contact management. The Blackberry contact database is excellent and rich in features. It will sync with Outlook, which also has robust contact management (over USB, which sucks, if you aren't on BES which I'm not). On my Androids, I have a separate database that syncs with Gmail and one that syncs with my work Exchange server. They don't integrate at all. The Gmail contacts are weak and the Gmail groups don't sync (at least to any of the three Androids I've had).

3) Touchscreen texting. I have never been able to get as fast or comfortable with touchscreen text entry as with my 9700 keyboard. The myTouch Slide had a hardware keyboard, but you have to slide it out to use it which is a pain and it adds weight to an already heavy phone. I've worked and worked to get proficient at Swype and can do it fairly well -- when I'm fresh and alert. When I get tired it is all misery.

4) Awkward phone searching. I love OS6's universal search. I wish the Android's search worked as well. My search bar in Android will search the web and contacts (at least the Gmail ones, not the Exchange ones), but doesn't search my calendar. What's with that?

5) Phonebook errors. I don't get this one. On my LG I have phone number entries that show up when I text that aren't there when I go to edit the contact record.

6) Need to unlock before doing anything. I really hate this. It is a problem with touchscreen devices. With my 9700, I can slip it from its case and hold down a speed dial button. Or I can mute music without even taking it from the case. Not so my Androids. Every time I touch it I have to unlock the screen.

7) No speed dial. Speaking of speed dial, on my Android, I can put direct dial shortcuts on the screen. On the Vibrant I could add speed dials to the phone screen, but you still have to unlock to the device, swipe to the dial screen or open the phone screen, and then touch the icon to dial the contact.

8) Flakey bluetooth. My 9700 does bluetooth, including voice dialing great. It reconnects when out of range or when I take the headset off the charger, without any drama. My myTouch Slide would not initiate voice dialing from the headset. My Vibrant would not voicedial from bluetooth at all. My LG does it better, but the voice prompts are super quiet and I have a hard time hearing them in the car. All three Androids have trouble dropping the bluetooth connection or reconnecting after a connection is lost.

9) No BBM. Enough said.

10) Fragmented notifiers / No profiles. I hate having to set a notifier from every program separately.

11) Can't enlarge the fonts. Okay, I admit I'm over 50 (don't ignore this problem, you too will be over 50 some day). I don't see small text as easily as I used to. I could not believe I could not enlarge the text in my Android applications. Android OS does not include the ability to change fonts. (Yes, I know I can root the phone and install new font packages, but I'm not into doing brain surgery on my phones).

OK. Enough of my rants. I love Android, but I just don't think it's very mature yet. I agree it has the upper hand in momentum and I expect I'll be using one full time in the future. Just not yet.
    01-12-11 10:15 AM
    I had a ton of BBM contacts too... but eventually, I was able to free myself of BBM.

Plus, with Android GV functionality, I don't need or use carrier texting.
    "free myself from bbm" how did you do that lol

01-12-11 10:37 AM
    I've had them both... Gave my BB to my brother once I got the G2.

I don't think I can go back to BB now though lol, my G2 does EVERYTHING and even then some my BB couldn't or wouldn't do properly.

Only thing I miss is the battery life, I could tweet, call, and play on my BB all day with maybe one full charge... With my Droid I have to keep that thing charged or I'm screwed.

And our BB group, but I found out about CNECTED which is cross platform so we got the band back together again lol.
    01-12-11 12:29 PM
    I, too, am getting to where I'm using my Android (LT Optimus T) less and less and my 9700 more. I love Android as a device to replace my Palm TX. It's great at browsing. I love the apps, like Google Sky and my scriptures application. Just really great devices. Unfortunately, for me, not a great phone or messaging device.

Here's my long list of why, after 3 Androids in the last four months, I'm still using my 9700:

1) No unified inbox. I agree. I hated that. K9 email fixes the unified issue (for me) another option is Maildroid. I have several email accounts I need to keep track of, and I admittedly wanted something that mimics the BB experience.

2) Fragmented, weak, contact management. I won't disagree that Android does not fill your needs. I do find it robust, but then again, I used BB Sync.

3) Touchscreen texting. This was my BIGGEST reservation... but, like you, I discovered Swype.

4) Awkward phone searching. The search bar opens in whatever program you're using... so, if you hit it when in Contacts/People, it'll search that. If you open it when in "nothing" than it defaults to web search. I like that you can narrow your search to whatever program (Evernote, email, text) you need to be in.

5) Phonebook errors. I don't get this one. On my LG I have phone number entries that show up when I text that aren't there when I go to edit the contact record. Cannot answer this one. It would bother me.

6) Need to unlock before doing anything. You can adjust that in Settings. I had the same setting applied on my BlackBerry.

7) No speed dial. Speaking of speed dial, on my Android, I can put direct dial shortcuts on the screen. On the Vibrant I could add speed dials to the phone screen, but you still have to unlock to the device, swipe to the dial screen or open the phone screen, and then touch the icon to dial the contact. Sounds cumbersome... there are quite a few lockscreen widgets that let you call directly from there, IIRC.

8) Flakey bluetooth. My 9700 does bluetooth, including voice dialing great. It reconnects when out of range or when I take the headset off the charger, without any drama. My myTouch Slide would not initiate voice dialing from the headset. My Vibrant would not voicedial from bluetooth at all. My LG does it better, but the voice prompts are super quiet and I have a hard time hearing them in the car. All three Androids have trouble dropping the bluetooth connection or reconnecting after a connection is lost. No comment... that is problematic.

9) No BBM. Enough said. While I used to be a huge BBM fan, I have come to a few conclusions that hold true for ME. BBM is a crutch...( hear me out ): I worked in a BB-heavy environment. Most of the people I worked with did not use it. Still, I managed to accumulate quite a number of BBM contacts. You know how I lost the most contacts? That's right... defection from RIM devices. So..., when it comes to messaging, I look for the long term. Google Talk doesn't have some of the benefits that BBM has, but it beats BBM in one important aspect: operability across platforms.

10) Fragmented notifiers / No profiles. I hate having to set a notifier from every program separately. This is cumbersome... agreed. It does allow for maximized customization. I do miss BB profiles, but there are apps to bridge the gap.

11) Can't enlarge the fonts. Okay, I admit I'm over 50 (don't ignore this problem, you too will be over 50 some day). I don't see small text as easily as I used to. I could not believe I could not enlarge the text in my Android applications. Android OS does not include the ability to change fonts. (Yes, I know I can root the phone and install new font packages, but I'm not into doing brain surgery on my phones). No excuse. That is silly not to include this natively into the OS. Rooting, however, is one-click easy, and most of the built-in data apps allow for you to increase fonts, I believe.

OK. Enough of my rants. I love Android, but I just don't think it's very mature yet. I agree it has the upper hand in momentum and I expect I'll be using one full time in the future. Just not yet.

Not at all trying to pick holes in your arguments... I agree with some major points you raise.
    01-12-11 01:21 PM
    Not at all trying to pick holes in your arguments... I agree with some major points you raise.
    Good comments trelawrence. You've given me some more ideas to try and things to think about. I'm fickle enough I'll probably switch back to the LG this weekend when I have time to mess around some more, and I'll try some of your suggestions.
    01-12-11 05:07 PM
    I have both, my 9780 doesn't get much love
    01-12-11 08:40 PM
    I'm now in the one-of-each camp as of this week. I'm on Sprint with my personal account and had a BB Bold 9650, yet have to also carry an AT&T Torch 9800 for work. As such, thought many times about switching the personal line to something a little more adventurous. I'm not a big fan of phones with only touchscreens though, so when the EVO Shift 4G came out last weekend, it was perfect for my needs and I made the switch over to Android. I am LOVING almost everything about this little phone! Speed is amazing, keyboard is tight, screen is crisp & clear, call quality is crystal clear... the only thing I'm not bowled over by so far is the battery life. Reading over on Android Central, seems that I'm in the minority and that everyone is getting awesome battery life. Me, not so much. I can't go a full day without charging. Guess the Seidio battery on my Bold really spoiled me!

So for now I'm enjoying the best of both worlds with the EVO Shift and the Torch (except that the Torch, sadly, is on AT&T...).
    01-14-11 02:57 PM
    I think come summer I will be jumping over to the Droid side and testing the waters. Most of my siblings are on BBM as well as my wife and I. So I will need to find another app to allow for the shared calendar notifications and messaging that is cross platform. I will also need to configure my work email, as well as my other 4 email accounts. And I will need to be able to sync it to my iMac. But barring that I am looking forward to something different with shiny new buttons.
    01-14-11 04:03 PM
    I'm now in the one-of-each camp as of this week. I'm on Sprint with my personal account and had a BB Bold 9650, yet have to also carry an AT&T Torch 9800 for work. As such, thought many times about switching the personal line to something a little more adventurous. I'm not a big fan of phones with only touchscreens though, so when the EVO Shift 4G came out last weekend, it was perfect for my needs and I made the switch over to Android. I am LOVING almost everything about this little phone! Speed is amazing, keyboard is tight, screen is crisp & clear, call quality is crystal clear... the only thing I'm not bowled over by so far is the battery life. Reading over on Android Central, seems that I'm in the minority and that everyone is getting awesome battery life. Me, not so much. I can't go a full day without charging. Guess the Seidio battery on my Bold really spoiled me!

So for now I'm enjoying the best of both worlds with the EVO Shift and the Torch (except that the Torch, sadly, is on AT&T...).
    Most of the folks who get great battery life tweak their devices to achieve such.
    01-14-11 04:41 PM
    I've got a blackberry for work and android for my personal and like them both. If I had to choose Id stay with android, their innovation and creativity moves at a much faster pace than RIM. People complain about battery life on android but I've got a second battery and a car charger so I don't mind.

01-15-11 10:53 AM
    The only reason I still carry my BB Storm around is because I have some clients who will only communicate via BBM. It would be nice to have an app on my Storm (or maybe there is and I haven't noticed) that would forward all my BBM messages to my android device via MMS, and vice versa any MMS I send to my Storm will forward that MMS via BBM to my clients. If I could do that, my Storm would just sit at home on a charging station.
    01-15-11 11:06 AM
    The only reason I still carry my BB Storm around is because I have some clients who will only communicate via BBM. It would be nice to have an app on my Storm (or maybe there is and I haven't noticed) that would forward all my BBM messages to my android device via MMS, and vice versa any MMS I send to my Storm will forward that MMS via BBM to my clients. If I could do that, my Storm would just sit at home on a charging station.
    LiveProfile will be the new BBM soon due to its cross platform capability.
    I'm betting many BB users will install so they can chat with friends that went android or iphone.
    Last edited by Slingbox; 01-15-11 at 11:21 AM.
    01-15-11 11:19 AM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD