Am I crazy for being nervous about using a home replacement app? Anyone else hesitant about using them?

I tried PandaHome and I liked it but I got OCD about memory and battery drain that I just deleted it.
    12-03-09 05:36 PM
    Bought dx top last week and have been using it ever since. I needed the extra homescreen, and the transitions seem faster than the stock home. I haven't noticed a difference in battery life either.
    12-03-09 05:48 PM
    Is dx top better than pandahome or home++ in anyones' opinion?
    12-03-09 05:50 PM
    I've tried pretty much all home replacements and dx top is my favorite. I don't know, it's all about personal preference.
    I'd say give it a shot, and if you don't like it, you are able to get your money refunded back to you as long as you are within the 24 hour period (one great thing about the Android market).
    12-03-09 05:59 PM
    Hero I've been running PandaHome New for a couple weeks now and it's fine. Not one issue with it.

You have to let the BB ways go : )

Android is an EXCELLENT OS.

I don't run task killers, never shut down, install, delete and update apps and push the device. It hasn't missed a beat.

You will be fine.
    12-03-09 05:59 PM
    Hero I've been running PandaHome New for a couple weeks now and it's fine. Not one issue with it.

You have to let the BB ways go : )

Android is an EXCELLENT OS.

I don't run task killers, never shut down, install, delete and update apps and push the device. It hasn't missed a beat.

You will be fine.
    CK you're right. I have to fight the old BB ways. Such a hard habit to break.
    12-03-09 06:01 PM
    Am I crazy for being nervous about using a home replacement app? Anyone else hesitant about using them?

I tried PandaHome and I liked it but I got OCD about memory and battery drain that I just deleted it.

this is the mentality of so many ex-blackberry users. there always concerened about memory and running apps when there is no need for this.
    12-03-09 06:02 PM
    Im using GDE with no issues.
    12-03-09 06:14 PM
    GDE>Home++>dxTop>Panda/Open Home

Tried them all.
    12-03-09 06:16 PM
    I just downloaded and quickly tried home++, did not like it at all. I'm not crazy about the screen scrolling all the way around. Makes my wall paper look crappy.
    12-03-09 06:18 PM
    Had open home for a bit just so I can have my home screen on landscape without opening the keyboard, but took it off after a while. In my personal opinion I don't want any themes, the widgets are enough for me to keep my home screen varied.
    12-03-09 06:18 PM
    I just downloaded and quickly tried home++, did not like it at all. I'm not crazy about the screen scrolling all the way around. Makes my wall paper look crappy.
    That is the one gripe I have with it. The way the 4th screen overlaps.
    Had open home for a bit just so I can have my home screen on landscape without opening the keyboard, but took it off after a while. In my personal opinion I don't want any themes, the widgets are enough for me to keep my home screen varied.
    Home replacements are not themes. You can run themes with them but that is not their purpose.
    12-03-09 06:42 PM
    Forgot to mention Hero..that if you settle on Panda you can use openhome and aHome themes with it. All free : )

I like GDE but it has some issues right now that I want to wait for the devs to get undercontrol before I get it.

Anyway just wanted to pass that on
    12-03-09 06:45 PM
    Im using GDE with no issues.
    Same here. Running it with the Hero theme (does not change the icons only the bottom dock) its pretty sweet.
    12-04-09 02:43 PM
    I have tried all of the desktop replacements and GDE is hands down the best. Most customizable, most function.

Allows 1-7 home screens, you can select which home screen is default. it allows you to select from 5 types of home screen transitions. It allows you to change on screen default buttons. Its the best designed.

Try it. search for GDE Desktop on the market. Its only like $2.50 or something. you can always have it refunded in the market if you don't like it. But its brilliant.
    12-04-09 02:51 PM
    GDE>Home++>dxTop>Panda/Open Home

Tried them all.
    +1

GDE Rocks. I hope more skinners make more skins for in. I use HERO. and its nice with my "weather widget" (looks like hero, sense ui, eris Flip clock w/ weather).
    12-04-09 02:53 PM

I am exactly the same way. I did the exact same thing. I am really hung up on memory. You see what RIM has done to us!!!
    12-04-09 05:27 PM
    I've used almost all the alternative home apps. I like GDE the best for looks and customization and up to 7 screens. My problem has been the same with all of them, they start working fine and I don't think there is much lag. But after a day or so of decent use things seem to start working slower. Typing lags, screen switching lags, notification bar is slower, switching apps is slower. So I keep coming back to the regular home until an update comes out where I try again.

So far the slower speed annoys me enough that I'm back to regular home again. I usually run weather widge, twidget, power control, mototorch, battery widget, and pure calendar.

Any ideas or suggestions?
    12-04-09 05:36 PM
    Can anyone explain if there is a real need for a home replacement or is it just a novelty to switch things up a bit?
    12-05-09 02:01 AM
    is it so hard for google to allow us more screens?! that's all i want...scroll up down right left

here's to hoping 2.1 "fixes" this!

oh and landscape mode without having to open the keyboard
    12-05-09 02:36 AM
    So is there a good home screen replacement that allows for landscape screens? Something that is stable. I got out of the OS upgrades a few weeks ago
    01-18-10 07:52 PM
    So is there a good home screen replacement that allows for landscape screens? Something that is stable. I got out of the OS upgrades a few weeks ago
    I use Home++ and it works perfectly fine for me. No problems with it at all. It has landscape home screens.
    01-18-10 08:15 PM
    I have since done away with all home replacements, too bad as I liked them and each had a nice addition to it.

But Home ++ always FCed on me. I just got sick of it. Even with all the updates, something I had on my phone must not have agreed with it. GDE and dxtop are definately nice, but I noticed a lag on the phone that could not be pinpointed to the replacements, but since going back ot stock home, I haven't had trouble.

It was nice having 5-7 home screens, but have found that 3 is sufficient. I mean, all I have to do is flip up the tab and have access to the programs anyhow, and try to limit widget use to save battery.
    01-18-10 09:40 PM
    After dropping the BB (hard to do) I have loved the performance of the android system. I love it and yes, think it is a better phone experience over the Blackberry ALL things considered. I don't use home replacement apps, because the "original vanilla" is slick enough for me. I like home++ for being free, and I have gone back and forth with it with some force closes (you tap the "OK" button, and you are back to normal in 2 seconds, unlike the BB, where you may have to battery pull and go down for 10 minutes!) yea, home replacement apps on the droid are fine
    01-18-10 10:06 PM
    I am going to try it out. It looks very nice!
    01-18-10 10:41 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD