Why are people so stuck on BBM...I keep hearing all they need is BBM....Droid has gtalk so much more wide open for the pure fact that you can put ANYone on it with a gmail addy. BBM is restricted to BB users....which are lessening by the days...sigh....odd.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-08-10 12:06 PM
    it's just fanboi/elitism is all. don't get me wrong, i love BBM, but much prefer other messengers such as google talk, yahoo, aim, etc.
    10-08-10 12:49 PM
    For me it's because it is encrypted, works great communicating internationally since its tunneled back to US and it is included in bb international plan. I send pictures, passwords, whatever and it's safe. Since my boss wants to be able to reach me via BBM, that's what I gotta have. Don't get me wrong I'm a tech geek and have always had the latest/greatest, and would love to be able to try out a Droid or iPhone, but unfortunately I need a device that does BBM and that limits me to BB.
    10-08-10 01:02 PM
    oh snap...
    10-08-10 01:24 PM
    I don't think bbm over bis has quite the same level of security it does over bes. That having been said, bbm was an awesome way to share files up to ~ 6mb. Talk needs to add some sort of file transfer protocol, and then it would be absolutely perfect.
    10-09-10 03:10 AM
    Interesting answers see I hardly ever used BBM....never had that many fellow phone users with BBs stuck with good old Yahoo up until my Droid.

10-09-10 08:23 AM
    Also, many users on a BES cannot install third party IM applications.
    10-09-10 10:45 AM
    BBM may not be as important to all, but for some people who have many BBM contacts or belong to social groups through BBM, the feature becomes very important. Its like being on Facebook and then not being able to contact those people through Facebook anymore. Some friends I only contact through BBM. So it becomes important in that sense. But that isn't the situation for all BB users.

10-09-10 10:58 AM
    I don't think bbm over bis has quite the same level of security it does over bes. That having been said, bbm was an awesome way to share files up to ~ 6mb. Talk needs to add some sort of file transfer protocol, and then it would be absolutely perfect.
    it is in the works. I would recommend nim buzz. It is like a unified chat box, it has them all...besides bbm. it has a powerful file/photo sharing platform too. Solves issue most of us have with a wide variety of friends on different chat platforms....
    10-09-10 11:30 AM
    I liked the bbm groups .

10-09-10 11:31 AM
    I liked the bbm groups .

gtalk does groups i use them on a daily basis.
    10-09-10 02:12 PM
    I see a lot of people (non BES) are just reluctant to change from what they are used to doing. I use BBM and GTalk and try to get all my BBM contacts to use GTalk because changing phones is wide open in 2011. GTalk's use on a PC makes it more accessible to my contacts.
    Last edited by rts3k; 10-10-10 at 10:17 AM.
    10-09-10 02:28 PM
    BBM isn't encrypted... that's what the news people say.
    10-09-10 04:23 PM
    Its like an antique you don't wanna get rid of.

10-09-10 04:35 PM
    only reason i liked bbm is becuz of the delivered/read alert it gives you on sent messages. other than that there's nothing that sets it apart form other messengers
    10-09-10 04:48 PM
    You do want to see what people thought of your IM right? When the heck is a platform going to come out that reads their neurospectrum and responds without their punk thoughts? WTH? I should be a synopsis in sleep....like hooked at the junction.....rofl......sorry....but BBM is so archaic, and pager like....Hey you (pink floyd) get a BB....I need you to IM......can't do it without a BB.......ecstasy.....
    10-09-10 10:55 PM
    exact same reason why people don't care for gtalk. Most of the people I speak to have an MSN account. It's hard enough to get people to want to change to GTALK. sure most of us have a gmail acct but its not the same as opening up another client. Google chat is used rarely even though I use my gmail acct a lot.

BBM just stays on my phone and its always on (unless i take the battery out)
    It's not something I need on my personal computer either. Whatever floats your boat because Im not about to start using 4 or 5 IM on my pc even with trillian and co jamming them all in one. I kinda like how BBM just stays put on my phone.
    10-10-10 02:26 AM
    exact same reason why people don't care for gtalk. Most of the people I speak to have an MSN account. It's hard enough to get people to want to change to GTALK. sure most of us have a gmail acct but its not the same as opening up another client. Google chat is used rarely even though I use my gmail acct a lot.

BBM just stays on my phone and its always on (unless i take the battery out)
    It's not something I need on my personal computer either. Whatever floats your boat because Im not about to start using 4 or 5 IM on my pc even with trillian and co jamming them all in one. I kinda like how BBM just stays put on my phone.
    You don't need to open it on the pc, when you open gmail it is already right there and logged in.
    10-10-10 09:27 AM
    I didn't mean the group chat function. I know gtalk has this. I mean the actual bbm interest groups with random people that are always connected. Those were a blast.

10-10-10 09:46 AM
    I didn't mean the group chat function. I know gtalk has this. I mean the actual bbm interest groups with random people that are always connected. Those were a blast.

I agree, they were fun, sketchy, but fun
    10-10-10 09:50 AM
    BBM is either a hookup service or a way to hide things from Mom & Dad in the consumer wold. That, to me, makes the IM just a toy and not a communications tool.
    10-10-10 10:26 AM
    BBM is either a hookup service or a way to hide things from Mom & Dad in the consumer wold. That, to me, makes the IM just a toy and not a communications tool.
    The same can be said about all the other IM services.
    10-10-10 02:07 PM
    In the 2 years I owned a Berry, I used BBM less than 10 times. Probably less than 5.

It's over rated. Texting is just as convenient.
    10-10-10 04:05 PM
    In the 2 years I owned a Berry, I used BBM less than 10 times. Probably less than 5.

It's over rated. Texting is just as convenient.
    It was the same way for me.
    10-10-10 04:51 PM
    its cooler to say "can i get your pin" instead of "whats your number"

i kid i kid
    10-10-10 05:39 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD