I am needing to return the BB 9700 purchased recently due to a problem with the phone freezing and I've been looking at the Aria the last couple of trips to the store. I've played around with it enough to see it does everything about as well as my BB but I could use some insight from those of you that have had the device for a while.
    1. How is the battery life, I typically just check my email, go to a few wesites and mostly listen to Pandora for about 1 hr a day. Texting is minimal. My blackberry will last a couple of days on a full charge.
    2. I've heard complaints about not being able to see the screen outdoors real well, is it true and what if anything can be done about it.
    3. How is the incoming call volume, can you hear the phone ring fairly easily, my friend who owns this device says that at times he has had problems hearing the ringtones of incoming calls.
    4. How is the email sync, do emails get to your phone fairly quickly, Gmail is running real slow lately on my old BB.
    If any of you have actually come from a 9700 or any BB to this device please let me know what you think of the differences. I appreciate any input.
    10-30-10 12:02 PM
    My battery easily lasts all day and I'm overclocked to 806Mhz from the stock 600Mhz.

Yes, the ringtone volume could be louder without a doubt.

My gmail works awesome.

As an aside, I could not use one of these out of the box. I'm rooted and running cyanogenmod's stable Android 2.2 release and overclocked. The way it is now is PERFECT.
    Last edited by Totalimmortal363; 10-30-10 at 12:57 PM.
    10-30-10 12:55 PM
    My battery easily lasts all day and I'm overclocked to 806Mhz from the stock 600Mhz.

Yes, the ringtone volume could be louder without a doubt.

My gmail works awesome.

As an aside, I could not use one of these out of the box. I'm rooted and running cyanogenmod's stable Android 2.2 release and overclocked. The way it is now is PERFECT.
    How easy is it to root the phone, I've jailbroke my old 3g iPhone which was a piece of cake. How does one overclock the phone and did rooting help the ringtone volume at all. I can get the Aria for free from a store with an upgrade but want to make sure this one will be more effective and efficient for me than my Blackberry. Thanks for the help.
    10-30-10 04:33 PM
    Here's the rooting process and how to load a custom ROM

HTC Aria How To’s | TheUnlockr

Read the comments in the rooting how to, you need to install HTC Sync then uninstall it leaving the USB Drivers.

Here is the Cyanogen 2.2 ROM

CyanogenMod-6 for Aria: It's soo sexxy - the proof is in the kernel! V6.0.2.1 (09/12/2010) - CyanogenMod Forum

Here is the overclocking zip files. I'm using version 3.5 at 806MHz with no issues which is what the link is for.

Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire

Do a nandroid back up before you overclock just to be safe, its in the recovery menu which can be accessed several ways. mainly by holding the power button while the phone is on like your going to turn it off and select boot into recovery.
    10-30-10 05:01 PM
    Here's the rooting process and how to load a custom ROM

HTC Aria How To’s | TheUnlockr

Read the comments in the rooting how to, you need to install HTC Sync then uninstall it leaving the USB Drivers.

Here is the Cyanogen 2.2 ROM

CyanogenMod-6 for Aria: It's soo sexxy - the proof is in the kernel! V6.0.2.1 (09/12/2010) - CyanogenMod Forum

Here is the overclocking zip files. I'm using version 3.5 at 806MHz with no issues which is what the link is for.

Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire

Do a nandroid back up before you overclock just to be safe, its in the recovery menu which can be accessed several ways. mainly by holding the power button while the phone is on like your going to turn it off and select boot into recovery.
    Have you noticed a change in your battery life since putting on the new rom, been hearing that Froyo is supposed to improve it. Thanks for the info, still deciding if I'm switching to Android or not. Been drinking RIM's kook aid for a long time could take time to adjust
    10-30-10 05:35 PM
    My battery life does really well, even overclocked. No complaints thus far. I mean it goes the whole day, but by around 8-9pm its time to plug her in.
    10-30-10 06:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD