On the BB we upgrade as new OS's become available. As android offers new OS's on new models in the future are we stuck with what's on. our phone when we got it?

Also, like the BB, can we wipe and reload the OS on the Droid like we do with the BB when things get screwed up?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by hal1; 11-19-09 at 05:26 PM.
    11-19-09 02:48 PM
    On the BB we upgrade as new OS's become available. As android offers new OS's on new models in the future are we stuck with what's on. our phone when we got it?

Also, like the BB, can we wipe and reload the OS on the Droid like we do with the BB when things get screwed up?

I hope we can. I'm new to Droid so anyone with experience please let us know.
    11-19-09 03:19 PM
    We are not stuck with the OS that the phone comes with. The Droid is already getting an update in December.

As far as an end user loading/reloading software on the phone, that would require rooting the phone, as well as the software to load on the phone. Something that isn't currently available.

11-19-09 03:49 PM
    As far as an end user loading/reloading software on the phone, that would require rooting the phone, as well as the software to load on the phone. Something that isn't currently available.
    So we can brick our Droid?
    11-19-09 05:22 PM
    You can brick the Droid easier than you think.... I've had a few customers convert from Blackberry devices to the Droid that when the Droid gave them an issue they pulled the battery out with the phone on... The fixall for the blackberry device but it Bricked their Droid's. Which is why we do the Control + ALT + DEL to restart the Droid. (Shift Key, Alt, Del) I do know that the open source nature of the device allows for the phone to be updated.
    11-19-09 05:34 PM
    I just downloaded an upgrade for my hero yesterday. I just wonder if these updates will be as frequent as the blackberries.

11-19-09 07:08 PM
    I guess what he is asking is not if the OS can respond to patches..but if the OS can actually be upgraded. Like, since the G1 can not upgrade to OS 2.0..if when OS 3.0 comes out..will the droid be able to upgrade to it?
    11-19-09 07:21 PM
    I would think so. They are saying the hero is suppossed to get 2.0

11-19-09 07:29 PM
    I guess what he is asking is not if the OS can respond to patches..but if the OS can actually be upgraded. Like, since the G1 can not upgrade to OS 2.0..if when OS 3.0 comes out..will the droid be able to upgrade to it?
    Exaclty. Would the droid/passion/whatever be upgradable to Android 2.5 or whatever comes out. If so, along those lines, wouldn't the Eris be able to be upgraded to from 1.5 to 2.0?
    11-19-09 08:44 PM
    The Hero/Eris is already supposedly getting 2.0, it is HTC that needs to modify Sense to work with the 2.0 code.

11-19-09 08:49 PM
    Correction, the G1 is already running 2.0 just fine.
    11-19-09 08:51 PM
    The Hero/Eris is already supposedly getting 2.0, it is HTC that needs to modify Sense to work with the 2.0 code.
    So it will also be voice turn by turn Google Nav? Since my (basic) understanding is that it's in the software, not the phone?
    11-19-09 08:54 PM
    So it will also be voice turn by turn Google Nav? Since my (basic) understanding is that it's in the software, not the phone?
    That is correct.
    11-19-09 08:55 PM
    Correction, the G1 is already running 2.0 just fine.
    Only possible on rooted G1 devices.

11-19-09 08:58 PM
    Explain the term "rooted".
    11-19-09 09:07 PM
    From droidforums.net:

Root definition - hacker
    In UNIX (Or in this case Android 2.0), it is the superuser or administrator account having complete control over everything in the machine.
    11-19-09 09:23 PM

Upgrading the software - plug in device and click an icon.
    Or click yes when asked to update OTA.

wait ~3 minutes....done.

You can brick the Droid easier than you think.... I've had a few customers convert from Blackberry devices to the Droid that when the Droid gave them an issue they pulled the battery out with the phone on... The fixall for the blackberry device but it Bricked their Droid's. Which is why we do the Control + ALT + DEL to restart the Droid. (Shift Key, Alt, Del) I do know that the open source nature of the device allows for the phone to be updated.
    Nonsense. If the phone isn't rooted (and it's not) nothing running has permission to modify the files used to boot the phone. Once it loads it's done with them until the next reboot.

If what your saying is true, it's a hardware issue not an issue with the OS.

As long as the phone has enough room to unpack and install the update it will run. You may have to tweak and slim down the GUI, but the core OS (even 2.1) runs just fine even on the crappiest hw you can imagine. LG rumor anyone?

It's elevating your user ID to "superuser" status. You then have permission to change ANY file in the phone's OS. I have my old adp running 2.0 with ~90% of the GSM version of SenseUI from the Hero.

It's also a very good way to truly brick a phone if you don't know what you're doing.
    11-19-09 09:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD