So far great device! Love it SO much more than the MT4G.

Will keep you guys updated
    04-21-11 11:21 AM
    Congrats on the G2X. It looks like an awesome device.
    04-21-11 11:23 AM

Thats awesome.
    04-21-11 11:30 AM
    Congrats! If you can give us a review. Enjoy.
    04-21-11 11:35 AM
    Tell me about reception....!!!!... (waiting, hardly patiently)
    04-21-11 11:51 AM

I'm actually having the opposite experience . The device seems buggy, which may just be a handset issue & would rectify itself if I exchanged handsets. But, it's missing a ton of functionality that I guess I just took for granted on my MT4G. The browser is a lot different, which I wasn't expecting. It's more like it was on my old Vibrant. It's not as easy to open & switch between pages. Also, it doesn't seem to have long-press/drag copy & paste, which is a huge deal. It also doesn't have auto-wrap after I zoom. For as much browsing I do, this is kind of a deal-breaker. I've tried other 3rd party browsers while on my MT4G, & I always ended up going back to the stock browser after a few days.

I listen to music on my device a LOT, & forgot that Media Room isn't an Android thing, it's a MT4G/Sense thing. The stock music player blows, & there's no widget for the lock screen. I downloaded Winamp, which is better...but there's still no lock screen widget. Yikes.

There are other things I'm not digging about the phone, like the calendar app. I like the MT4G one better. I like the combined email app on the MT4G. It's sort of combined on the G2X, but I have to put each individual account on my home screen, instead of one app that lets me choose which email account I want to look at. Also, I don't know what's to blame for this...but my SD card got damaged transferring between devices. I thought "No worries, I'll format. I have everything backed up on my computer." Well...I can't find a bunch of pics & videos I swore I had backed up. I really hope I didn't lose those for good.

The experience so far has left a bad taste in my mouth, & I'm about 98% sure I'll be returning it tomorrow. It's funny that there can be SO much difference between Android devices. I was foaming at the bit for a new phone, but actually this experience makes me appreciate my MT4G. Different strokes for different folks, I guess! Olliegrl, I'm glad you're enjoying your new phone .
    04-21-11 11:55 AM
    i haven't really messed with it that much...but i'm finding it more appealing than MT4G...i appreciate the vanilla android better than MT4G.

i do have some questions though...my Fb app won't sync with my contacts...as in put their photos into my contacts list from their fb profiles.

also, in the txting app, i have a contact card set up for "me" so that when i txt people i have a photo on that slot. for some reason my photo doesn't come up.

???
    04-21-11 12:16 PM
    The browser is a lot different, which I wasn't expecting. It's more like it was on my old Vibrant. It's not as easy to open & switch between pages. Also, it doesn't seem to have long-press/drag copy & paste, which is a huge deal. It also doesn't have auto-wrap after I zoom. For as much browsing I do, this is kind of a deal-breaker. I've tried other 3rd party browsers while on my MT4G, & I always ended up going back to the stock browser after a few days.
    I browse the web often and I won't be able to use vanilla android because the stock browser doesn't automatically reformat my pages... I guess I'm stuck with sense phones. :-P

My friend is getting this phone. He's super stoked. I can't wait to check it out. Congrats olliegirl! :-)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-21-11 12:20 PM
    i haven't really messed with it that much...but i'm finding it more appealing than MT4G...i appreciate the vanilla android better than MT4G.

i do have some questions though...my Fb app won't sync with my contacts...as in put their photos into my contacts list from their fb profiles.

also, in the txting app, i have a contact card set up for "me" so that when i txt people i have a photo on that slot. for some reason my photo doesn't come up.

???
    On FB go to settings > Sync Contacts > Sync with existing contacts

I would recommend Handcent SMS for texting, it has tons of features and way better than the stock SMS app. You can display pictures on individual messages or thread view. If fully customizable.
    04-21-11 12:58 PM
    I'm actually having the opposite experience . The device seems buggy, which may just be a handset issue & would rectify itself if I exchanged handsets. But, it's missing a ton of functionality that I guess I just took for granted on my MT4G. The browser is a lot different, which I wasn't expecting. It's more like it was on my old Vibrant. It's not as easy to open & switch between pages. Also, it doesn't seem to have long-press/drag copy & paste, which is a huge deal. It also doesn't have auto-wrap after I zoom. For as much browsing I do, this is kind of a deal-breaker. I've tried other 3rd party browsers while on my MT4G, & I always ended up going back to the stock browser after a few days.

I listen to music on my device a LOT, & forgot that Media Room isn't an Android thing, it's a MT4G/Sense thing. The stock music player blows, & there's no widget for the lock screen. I downloaded Winamp, which is better...but there's still no lock screen widget. Yikes.

There are other things I'm not digging about the phone, like the calendar app. I like the MT4G one better. I like the combined email app on the MT4G. It's sort of combined on the G2X, but I have to put each individual account on my home screen, instead of one app that lets me choose which email account I want to look at. Also, I don't know what's to blame for this...but my SD card got damaged transferring between devices. I thought "No worries, I'll format. I have everything backed up on my computer." Well...I can't find a bunch of pics & videos I swore I had backed up. I really hope I didn't lose those for good.

The experience so far has left a bad taste in my mouth, & I'm about 98% sure I'll be returning it tomorrow. It's funny that there can be SO much difference between Android devices. I was foaming at the bit for a new phone, but actually this experience makes me appreciate my MT4G. Different strokes for different folks, I guess! Olliegrl, I'm glad you're enjoying your new phone .
    I guess you're used to glitzy sense and not stock Android. I have a Nexus One which has the same UI as the G2X and I prefer that over any Sense, Motoblur Touchwiz UI any day. The simplicity is what makes it great, too bad you don't like it.
    Last edited by JD914; 04-21-11 at 01:32 PM.
    04-21-11 01:02 PM
    Vanilla Android > all skins.
    04-21-11 01:08 PM
    I WOULD like it a lot if it had some of the same functions I'm used to. For me, the speed & simpleness doesn't make up for the lack of functionality. I know everyone's different, but this is just what I prefer.
    04-21-11 01:15 PM
    I still don't understand why the browser is so different, though. I would think that that would be an OS thing, not a skin thing. The browser on the MT4G is very intuitive with the way it handles copy/paste, text wrap, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not totally hating the G2X, it's just very different than what I've been using.
    04-21-11 01:22 PM
    Vanilla Android > all skins.
    I concur

10char
    04-21-11 01:31 PM
    I still don't understand why the browser is so different, though. I would think that that would be an OS thing, not a skin thing. The browser on the MT4G is very intuitive with the way it handles copy/paste, text wrap, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not totally hating the G2X, it's just very different than what I've been using.
    It is a skin thing. Android is Android. Froyo is Froyo. Froyo + Sense/MT4G skin is different. If you only notice the difference when a skin is involved, then it is the skin.
    04-21-11 01:37 PM
    I did the fb thing on setup. Guess it didn't work :/

04-21-11 01:40 PM
    If I could somehow download the MT4G browser, media room, & calendar app, as well as some of the Sense widgets, I'd have a much different opinion of this phone.
    04-21-11 01:41 PM
    I did the fb thing on setup. Guess it didn't work :/

Did you go back to settings and make sure contact sync is enabled?
    04-21-11 01:54 PM
    If I could somehow download the MT4G browser, media room, & calendar app, as well as some of the Sense widgets, I'd have a much different opinion of this phone.
    Maybe this device didn't meet to your expectations but the positive reviews keep coming.

on 3:30 of this video Aaron of Phonedog says this is the best Android device on the market. I have to agree.

04-21-11 02:11 PM
    Where would contact sync be located?

04-21-11 02:23 PM
    Maybe this device didn't meet to your expectations but the positive reviews keep coming.

on 3:30 of this video Aaron of Phonedog says this is the best Android device on the market. I have to agree.

Oh definitely, the reviews got me SUPER hyped for this phone, especially Aaron's. But, I'm not the only one who is experiencing problems w/ the handset: T-Mobile G2x™ - T-Mobile Community

One of the bugs I'm experiencing is that it's hard to get the phone out of standby mode. I'll press the power button & nothing will happen. I'll try a few more times, & nothing. Then when it decides to come on, the screen will flicker through all the times I had pressed the button. Some folk @ XDA are reporting the same issue, so it must not be that isolated:
    [Q] Phone doesn't come out of standby - xda-developers

Tonight I'm going to give it a factory reset. I'm going to have more time to play w/ it tonight than I did last night. I haven't really gotten to look @ it today since I've been working. I'm really trying to give this phone a fair shot because I was so excited for it.
    04-21-11 02:30 PM
    Where would contact sync be located?

Settings > Accounts and Sync > Select Facebook > Make sure "Sync Contacts" is checked.

on FB app

open app > on the upper left click on "Facebook" > hit menu button > select settings >
    scroll down where it says "Sync Contacts" > make sure "Sync with existing contacts" is enabled.
    04-21-11 02:36 PM
    Oh! Btw Olliegrl, hit the home button & power button @ the same time & you'll get screenshot abilities!
    04-21-11 02:48 PM
    Thanks! And that fb thing did work.

04-21-11 02:56 PM
    It seems the factory reset worked. All of my issues with bugs seem to have disappeared. Another big one I discovered was that the device wouldn't pick up voice and sound. Then the media player stopped working. After the reset, everything worked. I had a 45 minute call with my parents and a 10 minute call booking a hotel. Sound quality was great.

One thing this phone is reminding me is that 4" screens are my sweet spot. I loved that on my old I don't think my tiny girly hands could go much bigger. I'm struggling to make the typing adjustments. I wish they could have condensed the space at the bottom. And I wish they would've added a friggin trackpad. That made it ridiculously easy to edit text.

I'm trying to overlook this phone's shortcomings and focus on what it does well.
    04-22-11 07:35 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD