The app that iPhone wasnt allowed to have is apparently on droid? What exactly does it do and is it worth trying or will it be a huge hassle.

Thanks
    11-09-09 08:34 PM
    Google Voice is sweet. Its a phone routing tool. You pick a local number from google. You tell that google number you want your cell, work, or home phone, (or all 3) to ring when someone calls your google number. When someone leaves a voice mail on your google number it transcribe that voice mail into a email or text message for you to read.
    11-09-09 08:41 PM
    So do you give out your Google Number? Sounds confusing, friends/colleagues would call that instead of your cell?
    11-09-09 08:44 PM
    ya they have to call your google number. You can also have it set up where unknown numbers go straight to voice mail. Or and certain number you want.
    11-09-09 08:50 PM
    Yes, you hand out your Google number, no worrying about whether to hand out your cell, home phone, whatever. Any and all devices you want will ring when your Google number is called. First phone that you answer with is the one the call is routed too. You can also send the call to voice mail but listen in as the caller leaves a message in case you want to talk to them. Good for those in-law calls you would just rather avoid.
    11-09-09 08:51 PM
    So do you give out your Google Number? Sounds confusing, friends/colleagues would call that instead of your cell?
    You can set up a Google Voice now to your current number, too. So you can have them call you as well.

But yes, ultimately all calls would go through GV instead of, say, Verizon. They'd call that, and you can set it up so 8 am - 12, they call work... 12 - 1, they call your cell, 1 - 5 work, 5 - 6 cell, 6- 11 home, 11pm - 8 am direct to voice mail .

Then you can customize from there - unknown, direct to voicemail. Mistress Jenny, always cell. Mother-in-law, home always. Wife, direct to voicemail.

Get it?

I use it for the visual voicemail aspect really. I get a transcript sent to my Gmail account whenever anyone calls me. It's so much easier than listening (although I can if I'd like) and it's still instant, rather than polling which the Google Voice app does.
    11-09-09 08:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD