So I signed up to use my number with google voice and it only allows me to use voicemail which is not what i wanted at all. and from what i can find there is no way to change this. I used an old gmail addy and tried again but I am still waiting after about a month, so... if anybody has an invite to spair i would greatly appreciate it. you can private message me, or email me [email protected]. I don't know if there's a way to pay anyone back for an invite but if you have ever seen the movie pay it forward, I'll apply the same concept lol. Or if you know how I can fix my previously mentioned mistake that would be just as appreciated!
    11-28-09 06:23 PM
    What exactly are you trying to do? There are two ways to use Google voice.

The first way is as a substitute for your carriers voicemail. This uses your existing number and only provides a limited number of features.

The second way is to get a new number assigned by Google. You then give this number out as your new number while using the Google Voice tools to route it to your existing cell number, home phone, work phone, etc.

More details on these two options are here: Google Voice

For now, you cannot port your existing number to Google Voice.
    11-29-09 09:09 PM
    yes I realize this... thats the issue, when you use the voicemail you are about to use your existing number, so I thought by using my existing number it would be easier to use the features, but instead I'm only able to use the voicemail feature, which is cool and all but now what I wanted out of the membership
    12-05-09 12:29 PM
    So you don't want Google Voice "Light" and would prefer the full featured version?
    12-05-09 01:40 PM
    Looks like they've added the ability for you to fix your problem.

Google Voice Blog
    12-12-09 10:03 PM
    now if they would only let you port your phone number..
    12-13-09 01:07 PM
    Turn off the voicemail feature through ---- Settings>Deactivate Google voicemail on this phone
    12-13-09 01:48 PM
    i got google wave invites; can i trade for a voice invite!
    12-13-09 02:22 PM
    i got google wave invites; can i trade for a voice invite!
    I doubt anyone has any problem with you asking for invites. However, maybe you should do so in one of the multitude of threads specifically about Google Voice invites. That's not what this thread is about.
    12-13-09 09:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD