So I just finished reading various articles broadcasting that the Google/Moto-Mobility acquisition was officially approved. What do you think will happen?

My personal opinion...

Over the last couple of weeks we've seen Google sending out statements of intent to require a 2.5% cut of net profit from sales of devices which fall under their newly acquired patents. Do I think Google really wants that 2.5% of net profit? Probably not (but then I'm an armchair quarterback), but would instead leverage that by using the money to subsidize their 3rd party manufacturers. And Google now has a pretty solid portfolio behind them.

Note that that 2.5% is from net profit, and not from devices shipped or manufactured. Unless my math is wrong, no matter how I crunch the numbers (but I will admit I do have a couple beers and a scotch in me at the time of this writing, and the math is all done in my head), it still comes out to less than what Microsoft is making from manufacturers of Android devices (though not by much), but only based on dismal Windows device sales.

Is Google making a move to make an agreement with Microsoft? After all, if Windows devices become a more major player, that'd just be more money for Google. IMHO, both corporations will either come up with an agreement where they will pay each other, and licensing agreements turn into a wash, or come to a shared licensing agreement to help each other out. Either scenario, it could create headaches for Apple. RIM is already pretty solid in the agreement since Moto-Mobility (and as of now, Google) already pays pretty good money to RIM for the "keyboard designed for thumbs" patent.
    02-13-12 06:29 PM
    I think it means Samsung are going to lose a bucketload of business this year.
    02-13-12 06:33 PM
    I dunno about that. Google/Android operates under a business model that makes revenue by sheer volume of devices supporting it. I don't foresee Google making any moves to inhibit anybody like Samsung or HTC from producing and selling as many devices as possible.
    02-13-12 06:35 PM
    I am looking forward to some kickass Nexus-like devices (hopefully).
    02-13-12 06:35 PM
    Doubt it.... Highly doubt it...
    02-13-12 06:52 PM
    Actually, yes, thinking about it Samsung shouldn't be greatly affected. I'd like to see Google selling top of the line handsets cheaply though.
    02-13-12 06:53 PM
    I think the next Nexus device will be made by Motorola since they signed a deal with Intel.
    02-13-12 06:54 PM
    Don't think it'll change much.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    02-13-12 08:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD