Just caught this in my mobile news notifications and thought it would be a good topic on crackberry.

How do you guys feel about google coming out with a Tablet. I mean i know a lot of you Blackberry users are against Apple's Tablet but what about a Google one?

Google Concept Tablet Revealed � Smartphone Insight Blog
    Last edited by CrackberryBrandon; 02-02-10 at 09:58 AM.
    02-02-10 09:53 AM
    I don't think people are so much against the idea of an Apple tablet as they are the fact that it has no additional functionality over an iPod touch.

Give me a cool tablet with more performance/functionality by Apple, Google, RIM, whoever...and I'll be interested.
    02-02-10 02:56 PM
    Agreed

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-02-10 02:59 PM
    I don't think people are so much against the idea of an Apple tablet as they are the fact that it has no additional functionality over an iPod touch.

Give me a cool tablet with more performance/functionality by Apple, Google, RIM, whoever...and I'll be interested.
    Yeah. I think they are still going to sell a ton of ipads regardless. Apple could release a bag full of rocks called iSac and it would sell millions. Many people were disappointed though because of all the rumors, specs, etc going around about the new ipad. Years of secrecy and development and speculation...and what do we get? A bigass ipod touch. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but people were expecting more functionality and features out of it, especially for the price tag. For the same price as the base ipad, you can get a ipod touch and a 160gb netbook. I just dont see a lot of mac fanboys that already have a macbook and an ipod jumping up and down for the ipad, since it doesn't really bring anything new to the table. Even people that go "well i dont need an ipod now, i can just play music on my ipad." It's too limited to be useful as a laptop replacement, and too big to be used as an mp3 player.
    02-02-10 03:47 PM
    Yeah. I think they are still going to sell a ton of ipads regardless. Apple could release a bag full of rocks called iSac and it would sell millions. Many people were disappointed though because of all the rumors, specs, etc going around about the new ipad. Years of secrecy and development and speculation...and what do we get? A bigass ipod touch. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but people were expecting more functionality and features out of it, especially for the price tag. For the same price as the base ipad, you can get a ipod touch and a 160gb netbook. I just dont see a lot of mac fanboys that already have a macbook and an ipod jumping up and down for the ipad, since it doesn't really bring anything new to the table. Even people that go "well i dont need an ipod now, i can just play music on my ipad." It's too limited to be useful as a laptop replacement, and too big to be used as an mp3 player.
    I think its more of a thing which you kind of hit in your post, people started rumors made up specs for it but apple never admitted to any of these things it was all people assuming what it would be.
    02-02-10 03:49 PM
    iPad. It seems the target to this are people with desktops that would like to have a little something to browse the web on while they are 'laxing in bed. It does seem a little impressive, with all the technology that came with it, like the badass touch screen. I have no use for one. I need something small that I can take notes on, which an iPad would not be able to do successfully. It definitely doesn't seem like something I could use for long periods of time because of the odd position you would have to be in to use it.

On a more relevant note, if Google made one. It would be closer to a netbook then to an iPod touch, no doubt. I would actually be surprised if they DIDN'T make one. Google said that they would like to have Chrome OS on specific machines, and that would be a candidate. Google should go ahead and do it, just have a word processor that doesn't blow.
    02-02-10 03:55 PM
    iPad. It seems the target to this are people with desktops that would like to have a little something to browse the web on while they are 'laxing in bed. It does seem a little impressive, with all the technology that came with it, like the badass touch screen. I have no use for one. I need something small that I can take notes on, which an iPad would not be able to do successfully. It definitely doesn't seem like something I could use for long periods of time because of the odd position you would have to be in to use it.

On a more relevant note, if Google made one. It would be closer to a netbook then to an iPod touch, no doubt. I would actually be surprised if they DIDN'T make one. Google said that they would like to have Chrome OS on specific machines, and that would be a candidate. Google should go ahead and do it, just have a word processor that doesn't blow.
    Agreed. something with decent memory and speed that doesn't break the bank would be nice. a little do-everything device. Even something that ships with the openoffice suite wouldn't be bad. That would help keeps prices down, while still maintaining compatibility. Even if the ipad came with a modified or limited version of MacOS, at least you'd be able to multitask on it. Even though Microsoft started doing limited versions of 7 on their netbooks, running 3 programs at once, on top of being compatible with the zillions of windows programs, makes it more useful than the ipad. at least on a day to day basis.
    02-02-10 04:54 PM
    Agreed. something with decent memory and speed that doesn't break the bank would be nice. a little do-everything device. Even something that ships with the openoffice suite wouldn't be bad. That would help keeps prices down, while still maintaining compatibility. Even if the ipad came with a modified or limited version of MacOS, at least you'd be able to multitask on it. Even though Microsoft started doing limited versions of 7 on their netbooks, running 3 programs at once, on top of being compatible with the zillions of windows programs, makes it more useful than the ipad. at least on a day to day basis.
    I think they lifted the whole 'only 3 programs' restriction. I read about it, but I don't know if they actually did or not. It was there way of killing of the netbook, which didn't work, I assume.

Exactly, there aren't any 'extra programs' that are already available for it that can be used. Just their little apps that thousands of people have created. These are nice on an iPhone or iPod touch, but if you were looking for a device that can satisfy computing needs, they won't cut it. Maybe between now and then, however, a programmer will emerge with an app that can make multi-tasking possible. But if you really think about it, what would you multi-task? Looking at your facebook and checking stocks? It's not like a desktop when you can play WoW and look up the quests on the internet [which is a lot more useful xP]
    02-02-10 05:03 PM
    I think they lifted the whole 'only 3 programs' restriction. I read about it, but I don't know if they actually did or not. It was there way of killing of the netbook, which didn't work, I assume.

Exactly, there aren't any 'extra programs' that are already available for it that can be used. Just their little apps that thousands of people have created. These are nice on an iPhone or iPod touch, but if you were looking for a device that can satisfy computing needs, they won't cut it. Maybe between now and then, however, a programmer will emerge with an app that can make multi-tasking possible. But if you really think about it, what would you multi-task? Looking at your facebook and checking stocks? It's not like a desktop when you can play WoW and look up the quests on the internet [which is a lot more useful xP]
    true, but on my acer netbook, i can have outlook open, browse the web, chat on AIM, and download torrents all at once. I cant play games, but my netbook is the best thing i ever bought for when i'm away from home, traveling for work, visiting family, etc. i couldn't use it ever day due to some of its restrictions (graphics, optical drive, etc.) but it does video, music, office, etc on the go. Not bad for $257 at Sam's Club.

I see what you're saying though, I don't HAVE to do all those things at once, but if i'm chatting online while away from home, it's nice to be able to have a browser open, utorrent, facebook, etc.
    02-02-10 06:00 PM
    true, but on my acer netbook, i can have outlook open, browse the web, chat on AIM, and download torrents all at once. I cant play games, but my netbook is the best thing i ever bought for when i'm away from home, traveling for work, visiting family, etc. i couldn't use it ever day due to some of its restrictions (graphics, optical drive, etc.) but it does video, music, office, etc on the go. Not bad for $257 at Sam's Club.

I see what you're saying though, I don't HAVE to do all those things at once, but if i'm chatting online while away from home, it's nice to be able to have a browser open, utorrent, facebook, etc.
    I own a netbook myself for school work and whatnot. I play games on it and such, but of course the video lag is horrible. I think it is one of the best things you can buy for on-the-go. Multi-tasking has been waayyy over-hyped. But, programs now take advantage of it, so we grow so accustomed. I don't even know if blackberries technically have it. I usually only do one thing at a time.
    02-02-10 06:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD