Just played my first round of the season and used a free gps app called "how far am I?". It only gives you the distance to the middle of the green, but worked flawlessly. I strongly recommend it, with the caveat that it completely drained my battery through 18 holes (barely made it through). It keeps an open connection to gps and it pretty much just killed my battery.

So are there any rangefinders (free or cheap) that aren't such a battery hog out there? Thanks for any suggestions.
    03-22-10 11:43 AM
    Look up golflogix. Works awesome. Does cost $39 per year. Free trial. Must download at their website. I don't think it is in the marketplace.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-22-10 02:02 PM
    Just played my first round of the season and used a free gps app called "how far am I?". It only gives you the distance to the middle of the green, but worked flawlessly. I strongly recommend it, with the caveat that it completely drained my battery through 18 holes (barely made it through). It keeps an open connection to gps and it pretty much just killed my battery.

So are there any rangefinders (free or cheap) that aren't such a battery hog out there? Thanks for any suggestions.
    That sounds like a useful app, but I like doing it the old school way. I look for yardage markers. Plus, I ride all the time. Most of the carts have GPS in them. But, if the app is free, I will try it out. Maybe I will enjoy it.
    03-22-10 02:14 PM
    I've been on the lookout for a free GPS golf app. Goes how far amI have courses that it can access or do you have to find your course? I think the freebees have to constantly dl/draw the holes like Google Maps as well as locate you. That may have an effect on battery. Considering golf takes about 4 hours that's not bad IMO. The ones they sell in golf magazines for $300 have all the maps in memory and you can add them using a pc. I want one you can lay on the green and it points downhill like a level. I think the iPhone has one.
    Last edited by thebignewt; 03-22-10 at 02:31 PM.
    03-22-10 02:27 PM
    GolfCard: Home

I love this app and its only a few bucks.
    03-23-10 08:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD