Looks like HTC Sense, MotoBlur and other UIs will be gone and Gingerbread will be the one universal true Android experience (STOCK!!!).

This means faster updates and way more support!
    07-14-10 12:20 PM
    It may cut down on fragmentation, but I don't see it extinguishing fragmentation altogether. Unless they build all of the Android devices the same, I don't see how they are going to be able to do that. Just looking at the new Charm going to T-Mobile. If they are going to make devices like that, plus devices like the EVO, and Epic 4G, there's no way they can all run the same version of the Android operating system. But, someone could know something I don't. It wouldn't be the first time.
    07-14-10 12:23 PM
    It may cut down on fragmentation, but I don't see it extinguishing fragmentation altogether. Unless they build all of the Android devices the same, I don't see how they are going to be able to do that. Just looking at the new Charm going to T-Mobile. If they are going to make devices like that, plus devices like the EVO, and Epic 4G, there's no way they can all run the same version of the Android operating system. But, someone could know something I don't. It wouldn't be the first time.
    if you read the requirements, it said devices need at least a 3.5 inch screen, 512mb of ram, etc to run Gingerbread. So they might stop making lower end devices altogether.

and the epic and evo can run the same version. they both have the minimum specs to run 3.0.
    07-14-10 12:27 PM
    if you read the requirements, it said devices need at least a 3.5 inch screen, 512mb of ram, etc to run Gingerbread. So they might stop making lower end devices altogether.

and the epic and evo can run the same version. they both have the minimum specs to run 3.0.
    If that's true, that may not be a good thing necessarily for Android. They have sold a lot of lower end devices like the Cliq, MyTouch, and BackFlip. But it sounds like they are going the way of WM7. We will see what happens.
    07-14-10 12:33 PM
    If that's true, that may not be a good thing necessarily for Android. They have sold a lot of lower end devices like the Cliq, MyTouch, and BackFlip. But it sounds like they are going the way of WM7. We will see what happens.
    Yeah idk for sure but every 3.0 device will have to have at least a 3.5 inch screen so i guess they'll still keep popping out low end phones but they'll still be powerful.

i expect more 4.3 inch screen phones like the upcoming 2gh droid pro in the future.
    07-14-10 12:44 PM
    You can have the same OS running on different devices. How many devices can now support 2.1? And even the ones that will get 2.2? The only thing that's stoping most devices from getting the new update is the OS fragmentation with UIs from other companies. So they are saying that all Android devices will run the same software so they all can be supported in the same capacity. By getting rid of the customization of the manufacturer. There you go, the main hurdle to getting updates to all devices has been eliminated. They could have released everything with stock Android if they wanted to but I'm sure their agreements didn't allow it.

Of course the OS has to be optimized for your specific phone but that's no different than all the different computers with Windows 7 and blackberries with 5.0 and up and iPhone OS updates to supports the 3G, 3GS, iPhone 4, iPod touch generations. The only thing that stops all blackberries is the hardware and the carrier stuff. Well, google is trying to eliminate both elements by having hardware requirements and no 3rd party implementation.

I'm not sure what's so hard to understand about that.

As much as people may dislike it, Google will have to become a little more like Apple in terms of control over Android in order for it to be supported consistently and for most mainstream consumers to know what they are actually getting. I mean right now a lot of people have to choose which phone to get because they are not sure which one is getting the updates first. Or you have to pass because the sexy phone you want has a different UI than the Android you have now. That's cannot work going forward.
    07-14-10 12:46 PM
    You can have the same OS running on different devices. How many devices can now support 2.1? And even the ones that will get 2.2? The only thing that's stoping most devices from getting the new update is the OS fragmentation with UIs from other companies. So they are saying that all Android devices will run the same software so they all can be supported in the same capacity. By getting rid of the customization of the manufacturer. There you go, the main hurdle to getting updates to all devices has been eliminated. They could have released everything with stock Android if they wanted to but I'm sure their agreements didn't allow it.

Of course the OS has to be optimized for your specific phone but that's no different than all the different computers with Windows 7 and blackberries with 5.0 and up and iPhone OS updates to supports the 3G, 3GS, iPhone 4, iPod touch generations. The only thing that stops all blackberries is the hardware and the carrier stuff. Well, google is trying to eliminate both elements by having hardware requirements and no 3rd party implementation.

I'm not sure what's so hard to understand about that.

As much as people may dislike it, Google will have to become a little more like Apple in terms of control over Android in order for it to be supported consistently and for most mainstream consumers to know what they are actually getting. I mean right now a lot of people have to choose which phone to get because they are not sure which one is getting the updates first. Or you have to pass because the sexy phone you want has a different UI than the Android you have now. That's cannot work going forward.
    Exactly. I'm so glad Google is doing this.
    07-14-10 12:57 PM
    common sense would tell you, that if the OS has a minimum requirements, then older phones will not be able to run it. So how is this the end of OS Fragmentation? It actually creates more fragmentation from everything from the original Moto Droid and below...
    07-14-10 02:14 PM
    common sense would tell you, that if the OS has a minimum requirements, then older phones will not be able to run it. So how is this the end of OS Fragmentation? It actually creates more fragmentation from everything from the original Moto Droid and below...
    Yes, but eliminates the fragmentation for everything that meets the minimum requirements thereafter.

I think it is a good move on Google's part. I can predict though that there will be some users of older/low end Android phones getting left out of using some apps if developers choose not to release apps that support OS versions <3.0 in the future.
    07-14-10 03:43 PM
    Well you have to start somewhere. And unfortunately some things get left behind. But how long do you expect people to hold on to Droid Eris or TMO G1? Anyone who holds on to their phone that long probably doesn't care about the updates anyway.
    07-14-10 03:58 PM
    then with all considered, if you start with all the newer devices already on 2.1 and 2.2 there is very little fragmentation lol
    07-14-10 04:04 PM
    Well you have to start somewhere. And unfortunately some things get left behind. But how long do you expect people to hold on to Droid Eris or TMO G1? Anyone who holds on to their phone that long probably doesn't care about the updates anyway.
    I dunno, i usually sell my current phone to get the latest and greatest. but not this time for droid x or droid 2 since all high end motorola android phones will have locked boot loaders from now on. its so sad motorola only partially supports open development. btw is your incredible rooted??
    07-14-10 04:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD