I'm a big fan of the droid, but am getting my 5th sent to me. Had popped pixels on the screen, headphone crackling and other malfunctioning and most recently the phone freezing and requiring a batt pull when its locked among other issues. Anyone else having a rough time?

Verizon is sending me a new phone (not refurb) so hopefully itll get better - but this is getting ridiculous. I even considered switching to the ERIS.

Anyone else having a lot of problems or is there hope that I've just been unlucky?
    01-10-10 08:50 PM
    Every new phone forum has somebody who returns like 4-5 phones, so it's not like it doesn't happen. Why it happens who knows? But it happens.
    01-10-10 09:00 PM
    I've had about 7. I gave up. Each one had its imperfections such as the keys on the front having burned out leds (unevenly lit). Other problems were that videos and pictures would not send because they were 'too big'. Some would reboot by themselves, some wouldn't work in the dock. Talk about bad luck, huh?

I am debating on ordering a new one because this was prior to the 2.0.1 update
    01-10-10 09:01 PM
    Never had any of those issues but yhe sliding mechanism on my current one is getting a little loose. I'm on my first one still and contemplating whether or not I should switch it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-10-10 09:05 PM
    Hang in there, no offense intended to Eris owners, but don't settle for an Eris. Apparently, some of the earlier Droids had quality issues, but hopefully the later batches are better.

I am on my second one, first one kept rebooting randomly. His one has reset a few times now, but nowhere near the amount the first one did.
    01-10-10 09:09 PM
    Had 3 replacements. All because of random reboots, even my current one reboots every now and then but only after certain apps are installed or uninstalled.
    01-10-10 10:57 PM
    Some people expect the perfect piece of equipment that flawlessly runs. They replace their phone because their screen flickered.

01-11-10 04:01 AM
    IMO people who return many phones for "pixel problems" are OC and won't be happy. People who return several for "random reboots" are having problems with 3rd party apps and won't get any love either. Just my .02.
    01-11-10 10:01 AM
    Returning the phone because something installed is causing it to reboot seems a tad ridiculous. Now if nothing has been installed, and a factory reset doesn't fix it, I would return it by all means.

As for dead pixels....I don't believe in paying that much money for a device that has screen flaws such as that. If it was a free phone, that would be one thing. But its not.
    01-11-10 11:37 AM
    I always feel bad when I see these posts I feel like I have a cellphone leprachaun in my pocket or something. All the PDA's I've had with Verizon and only 1 has been replaced with 1 Certified Like New. This goes all the way back to 2000. It may be because I'm an employee and know how to thoroughly care for my phone (Know whats ok and whats not good to put on it) but I'm puzzled at why a device that can work perfectly flawless for me has to be replaced 4-5 times for others... I'll just consider myself lucky.
    01-11-10 12:01 PM
    I'm a little picky with phones but all of the ones Ive had have had real problems. Dead pixels on a screen aren't OK (it would turn bright green whenever it was assigned a dark color). Random freezes aren't OK when the other phones I've had with the same apps have been fine (did two factory resets).

C'mon a flickering screen? If I had a flickering screen I would want a new phone too - that seems ridiculous.

I carry a Tour as well and am using the one I got a few days after release (remember all the problems people had with that)? In fact it's almost refreshing using the Tour because it doesn't have all the software quirks and screw ups that the DROIDDOES. Still obviously prefer the droid though, its not even close.
    01-11-10 02:12 PM
    When I first got my BB Storm, I got into the forums and seen alot of people with issues with the Storm and having to get 4-5 new phones. I was lucky I guess. I only had the one that worked fine. Hopefully I will have the same luck with the Droid.
    01-12-10 04:40 PM
    Considering how many different electronic components are in a cell phone I am not too surprised that so many fail. It still doesn't change the fact that it sucks for the people that get the faulty device.

But you play the numbers game. Some are just unlucky. For some it is user error. While others don't want a refurbished device.

The worst that has ever happened to me is going through 2 Moto Qs for work. Those phones are the biggest pieces of junk ever.

**This comment was not meant directly at anyone**
    01-12-10 05:00 PM
    I luv my Droid, but not sure why. Have been through the mill with mine!!! I am on my 3rd Droid in 2 1/2 months!!! Now they have to do a hard reset on my Droid and I will AGAIN lose my data!!! I know they are giving me a refurbished phone and I want a new one!!! Any suggestions as to how to get them to provide me with a new one? Thanks!
    02-05-10 02:58 PM
    I luv my Droid, but not sure why. Have been through the mill with mine!!! I am on my 3rd Droid in 2 1/2 months!!! Now they have to do a hard reset on my Droid and I will AGAIN lose my data!!! I know they are giving me a refurbished phone and I want a new one!!! Any suggestions as to how to get them to provide me with a new one? Thanks!
    I don't think you can make them give you a new one. My advice to anyone who has had to replace their phone over 3 times is to abandon that model phone and try something else. Also, if you're trudging back to the same store at the mall maybe get one sent to you from somewhere else. Maybe they have a bad batch. I haven't done a phone store in 5 years.
    02-05-10 03:19 PM
    Took me three phones to get one that worked correctly. First two from the same store and the third one shipped from VZW. I'm going with the bad batch theory for the first two. Neither one could stay up more than 6 hours and that's if I turned it on and barely touched it. Usually they would power cycle over and over throughout the day.
    02-05-10 03:58 PM
    My friend is on his 10th one. His battery drains very fast.
    02-07-10 05:12 PM
    i dont think they will cave in with that
    02-08-10 07:29 PM
    lol if you get the eris, you will go running back to your droid. i promise
    02-09-10 01:10 PM
    My friend is on his 10th one. His battery drains very fast.
    His tenth one?

That is ludicrous, the Droid isn't known for its great battery life. Maybe it is something that he is running on his phone. Tell him to try to run the phone stock and nothing else. After he has ran the phone stock and if he sees an improvement then he could start installing one app at a time. This will help him find the culprit, if there is any.
    02-09-10 01:47 PM
    It seems that there are many brands of devices that have issues. This thread is very informative for me because I didn't know the Droid randomly reboots itself. I just read another post where someone said that Droids were better than BBs and one of the reasons was that BBs randomly reboots or needs battery pulls. It seems like the Droid has the same issues. I do think that the Droid is a great device, but it is no different than any other smartphone. They will also have performance issues.

02-13-10 01:40 PM
    It seems that there are many brands of devices that have issues. This thread is very informative for me because I didn't know the Droid randomly reboots itself. I just read another post where someone said that Droids were better than BBs and one of the reasons was that BBs randomly reboots or needs battery pulls. It seems like the Droid has the same issues. I do think that the Droid is a great device, but it is no different than any other smartphone. They will also have performance issues.

I think some batches within any product are going to have issues, thing with Droid vs BB is that with BB you seem to be more likely to run into reboots and pulls regardless if you are stock or hybrid. I ran my Droid stock for a month, maybe 6 weeks with out shutting it down and without a reboot. It wasn't until I installed a ROM that I had a reboot, and even at that it was only if installing a random new app. I don't know what similar issues the iPhone may have in regards to freezes and reboots, but obviously can't pull the battery, but I say the Droid is way different than the BB.
    02-13-10 01:45 PM
    It is definitely certain batches because I have not had one reboot or performance issue at all with my Droid.

02-13-10 01:50 PM
    Yes, I will disclaim as well. I had my 8330 for a couple months and had to battery pull once a day, gave it to my wife and I don't think she ever battery pulled. She is now using a 9630 and never ever had to pull the battery on 5.0
    02-13-10 02:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD