So I've had a BlackBerry for a few years now. I went from the Pearl which I absolutely loved to the Storm which i wanted to throw out a window by the way. And then I went to the Curve for a short while and then finally to the Tour where I am now. When I bought the Tour (retail) I found that I had finally gotten the 4.7 like menu and operation system that didn't lag or take forever to do such simple things. It was essentially the Storm but in a non touch screen version. Over time I grew bored with my Tour. I felt like it could do so much but it was just so limited by the OS. The OS just looks so dull and black and archaic. Don't get me wrong - I love my BlackBerry. I just wish it weren't stuck in the past.

Then I saw the Droid and I said nah not for me way too clunky. Then I saw the Eris. I haven't even heard about the Eris before. I knew Verizon was going to release a 2nd Android phone but I didn't know they had released it. The OS looked very refreshing. I watched a few videos and I really liked what I saw.

The Android OS looks very awesome. I know the Eris only has 1.5 but that isn't such a big deal and I'm sure there will be updates in the future?

I just have a few concerns..namely the accelerometer is slow it seems and I remember that on my Storm. It doesn't look as slow as the Storm but still slow. Should I be worried? They keyboard looks awesome by the way. Will I be able to get my e-mails (Exchange with Outlook web access) like I can on my Tour and my GMail e-mail as well? BBM yes will be sad to lose. I hardly use AIM but I'd like to know it's there. I use my Tour a lot in web browsing so the Eris needs to be very good and reliable. I must have copy and paste.

So this thread is really about me being on the fence about leaving BlackBerry for a Droid Eris (really for the Android OS) and also my concerns about the differences. Do you have any thoughts without bashing? Recommendations? Or should I stay where I am?

Thanks
    Last edited by hakoreh; 11-21-09 at 08:04 PM.
    11-21-09 07:56 PM
    How about trying the phone in question to see if you'll even like how it feels in your hands?

I have no idea what the trial time is like in NY, but what will it hurt to give it a try?
    The only thing you have to decide is this...

Do you want to start a new line JUST to try the new phone? Or do you want to go through the trouble of dumping one platform (Blackberry) and starting all over with another one (Android)? And if you don't like it, undoing it all and going back to what you know?

How did you pick any of the phones you have had in the past? How did you pick Blackberry as the smartphone you wanted when you got it?

Personally I would like to try the Droid out, but not willing to pay two carriers, T-Mobile for my current BB and Verizon for the Droid to test for a few days. Maybe I should have held on to the Droid I found last week, to play with it before giving it back to it's owner. (dang my parents for raising me right!!!)
    11-21-09 08:13 PM
    My thoughts ... I came from the pearl so the form factor of the Eris was perfect for me. Like you I was frustrated with the BB os especially since the pearl had been completely forgotten about. The capabilities of the Eris blow the pearl away. I can't comment compared to the tour though. Browser is awesome. Copy and paste is easy. Some quality apps in the market and most are free. Extremely customizable. I'd you look through the forums I think you'll see the only complaint so far for most people is the battery life. Though mine is pretty good. I'm at about 60% right now and its gone through heavy use today for about 7 hours now so I can't complain about that. There is a slight lag when changing orientation and I don't know how that compares to the storm but it doesn't bother me. Being used to suretype with the pearl I find I'm just as fast typing on the Eris using the compact qwerty keyboard too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-09 08:25 PM
    Battery life made me return it. Back to BB. I loved the Eris tho.
    11-21-09 09:15 PM
    FWIW, my wife has the Eris and I love it! Oh yeah...she loves it, too. All is good w her battery life as she gets 30+ hrs per charge w average use. She got 32 today. I love it so much that I know for a fact it will be my phone if the Dragon doesn't live up to the hype. The key to "her" battery life was that she let it die every time b4 charging it to 100% ONLY. Once it's charged, take it off. My opinion from her Eris.
    11-21-09 09:30 PM
    I have the droid, but I am on the fence about the Eris. I don't use the keyboard on the droid at all, so the Eris would be great. The only reason I didn't buy it was the 1.5 os, but in time I am thinking there will be an update.

I do love the size and weight compared to the droid.
    11-22-09 03:36 AM
    I heard that the Eris lags when you start to type fast. Let's put it this way my Storm took 5 minutes to send a text. I need to be in and out so to speak if I want to email, text, or whatever. Will I have a problem?
    11-22-09 07:32 AM
    Goto Verizon, Best Buy, Walmart, and give it a try yourself with the text messaging.
    11-22-09 11:19 AM
    I love my Eris in every way! I don't type that fast, so don't notice any lag when doing so.
    I was at Walmart yesterday...in the cell phone dept...and pulled out my Eris. (they don't have it yet) and before long, was surrounded with ooohers and aaaaaahers. The sales people all came over to see it. They all said "why didn't Verizon advertise THIS one!!!" One of the sales personnel asked me if I would sell her mine! I told her she could go down the road to the Verizon store and get one there:-) I did mention to them all about the HTC Passion rumored to be out soon..and that it would be similar to the Eris, with higher-end specs. None of them had ever heard of it!
    11-22-09 11:48 AM
    I love my Eris in every way! I don't type that fast, so don't notice any lag when doing so.
    I was at Walmart yesterday...in the cell phone dept...and pulled out my Eris. (they don't have it yet) and before long, was surrounded with ooohers and aaaaaahers. The sales people all came over to see it. They all said "why didn't Verizon advertise THIS one!!!" One of the sales personnel asked me if I would sell her mine! I told her she could go down the road to the Verizon store and get one there:-) I did mention to them all about the HTC Passion rumored to be out soon..and that it would be similar to the Eris, with higher-end specs. None of them had ever heard of it!
    Ha ha. That's awesome. I too was in walmart yesterday but instead got funny looks as I used the shop savvy app to compare prices. I think they thought I was actually taking pictures of the toys. These apps work incredibly by the way. Found a dvd player 10 bucks cheaper down the road.

11-22-09 01:56 PM
    I switched from a Curve to a g1 and would never switch back. It's such a better phone, and Android is fantastic.
    11-22-09 09:33 PM
    I'm going to check it out today at a local Verizon store. The OS is definitely very innovative and that's what drew my attention but I just need to make sure that there's no glaring bugs like that lag.
    11-23-09 08:03 AM
    I am too thinking about a droid next. I know some people are worried about the OS being kinda beta-like, but if you ask it can't be much worse than the Storm .65!

I do like the droid for the physical keyboard, but I dont know if I can handle a phone that weighs more than the storm, so an eris might be a good compromise.
    11-23-09 07:06 PM
    I would go with the Droid. The weight is not that bad
    11-23-09 07:31 PM
    i tried it out today and the only thing bothering me is the 3 second delay (i timed it) on the accelerometer. i think im going to try it out, i have 30 days to return it if i want to if i want to
    11-23-09 08:24 PM
    My Eris doesn't lag that long with the accelerometer. I just timed it and it was just under a second... .89 if my stopwatch was correct.

11-23-09 08:36 PM
    No lag here on my Eris...works just fine. I can't find one thing to really complain about on the Eris. Since I don't need to be away from home or the car that much, I just keep it charged up..so battery life isn't important to me.

Ok, there is ONE thing I might like to see added...larger fonts for my email (Gmail) and so far I haven't found an app for that. I do have an app that makes my SMS text fonts larger.
    11-23-09 09:24 PM
    The Eris is definitely a nice phone. I tried it and really the killer for me was the battery. I pulled it off the charger, fully charged at 0730. By 3 PM it was dead. There is minor lag, youll see it mostly in the accelerometer (sp.) and the internet. Pages load fast, but go white as you touch scroll through them. Just my .02 cents.
    11-24-09 12:00 PM
    Android devices are really nice. I really liked the Eris. Outside of the iPhone, I think it is the best touchscreen device out and the best device on Verizon. The keyboard is a little cramped in portrait mode, but absolutely awesome in landscape mode. I didn't like the haptic feedback, but you can turn that off. The browser is close to Safari. It also has flash lite support. As far as looks, it is a really sexy device. If I were on Verizon, it would be my phone.

11-25-09 07:52 PM
    No lag here on my Eris...works just fine. I can't find one thing to really complain about on the Eris. Since I don't need to be away from home or the car that much, I just keep it charged up..so battery life isn't important to me.

Ok, there is ONE thing I might like to see added...larger fonts for my email (Gmail) and so far I haven't found an app for that. I do have an app that makes my SMS text fonts larger.
    How is video playback on the Eris?

11-25-09 07:53 PM
    I tried out a couple of You Tube videos on it, and since I have nothing to contrast the experience with, it was just great for me. My old phone wasn't good with videos...so I'm just happy with whatever I get! The playback was fast...and the image seemed pretty good...I guess I need to test out other phones to really be able to know how good the Eris is on this feature.
    11-26-09 06:13 AM
    The Eris is the most underated phone out right now. It really is a solid phone and hopefully, an extended battery will be out soon. Other then that, not much to complain about. Solid browsing. Both Droids just do a marvelous job browsing.
    11-26-09 01:35 PM
    Eris is awesome! Wife's gets 30+ hrs per charge and loves the darn thing more than me, now! lol
    11-26-09 02:10 PM
    @ OP
    this is how i feel too, which is why im gonna go with the droid and give it a shot.
    the bb os is stable but its just so boring
    11-26-09 04:20 PM
    I agree with the HTC Eris being the most underrated device out right now. Yes there have been a lot of complaints of battery issues, but there are also posts on how to fix that. People have been getting exceptional amounts of use out of one charge. I am a former BB OS user as well and I believe the Eris is a great pick!
    11-26-09 10:08 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD