Played with the Droid for about 2 hours on three difference occasions in the Verizon Store. I love the Browser and all the Apps in the Market Place. I find I don't mind the slide out keyboard and the virtual keyboard in landscape is great. My biggest question is how people are adapting to the Portrait keyboard. I find myself using the Sure Type portrait keyboard quite often since the landscape mode requires both hands. Between the large keys and the auto complete feature, I really don't want to give it up. Any opinions on how usable the Portrait keyboard is would be helpful.

My other question, is I was unable to find in the Settings menu anyway to change the font size like you can on the BB. I assume it is there somewhere, but do want to make sure as my 49 year old eyes don't do "small" anymore.
    11-09-09 07:08 PM
    Rick use the device yourself....it may be perfect for someone and bad for another. I love the pull out keyboard the next guy doesn't. Some guy can type on the landscape keyboard faster than in portrait and the next guy is just the opposite.

It's pointless, use YOUR OWN judgement.

It's like asking " Whats your opinion on tongue. Is it good?" Some will say it sucks some will swear by it. Eat it and find out yourself. If you like it good for you if not so be it.

Come to your own conclusions....thats what we all do in life anyway.

Yes you can change the font size in settings
    11-09-09 07:21 PM
    Once you get the phone, download the app "Better Keyboard" made by Better Android. It makes the keyboard in portrait just like Sure Type after enabling certain settings. Works well...

I seen a setting somewhere to change the default font size. It's in there...

Plus the predictive text on the Droid is 2nd to none, as long as you get somewhat close to the word you're trying to spell, it'll figure it out...
    Last edited by bwhite757; 11-09-09 at 07:25 PM.
    11-09-09 07:21 PM
    i like the sure press....
    11-09-09 07:42 PM
    It's like asking " Whats your opinion on tongue. Is it good?" Some will say it sucks some will swear by it. Eat it and find out yourself
    The rest of the post was great this part sucks. I have conducted a worldwide study and I have concluded that no one on earth likes tongue (as a meal )
    11-09-09 09:55 PM
    Played with the Droid for about 2 hours on three difference occasions in the Verizon Store. I love the Browser and all the Apps in the Market Place. I find I don't mind the slide out keyboard and the virtual keyboard in landscape is great. My biggest question is how people are adapting to the Portrait keyboard. I find myself using the Sure Type portrait keyboard quite often since the landscape mode requires both hands. Between the large keys and the auto complete feature, I really don't want to give it up. Any opinions on how usable the Portrait keyboard is would be helpful.

My other question, is I was unable to find in the Settings menu anyway to change the font size like you can on the BB. I assume it is there somewhere, but do want to make sure as my 49 year old eyes don't do "small" anymore.
    I just switched off Storm1 to Droid. I've had the Droid for 3 days. Great phone, it's just not for me, it's going back to VZ for Storm2.
    11-09-09 10:33 PM
    I had the storm 1 & 2, and I like the eris much better. I did love my storm, especially when I got storm 2 but this one fits me better. The browser on the eris blows the bb put of the water. And the keyboard is just as easy to use as the storm but if u wait till the passion comes out in a couple weeks then u will hav the benefits of the HTC and the droid 2.0, along w a huge 4.5" screen

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-09 05:12 AM
    I just switched off Storm1 to Droid. I've had the Droid for 3 days. Great phone, it's just not for me, it's going back to VZ for Storm2.
    Do a return on the Droid and wait for the Passion.
    11-10-09 05:18 AM
    Once you get the phone, download the app "Better Keyboard" made by Better Android. It makes the keyboard in portrait just like Sure Type after enabling certain settings. Works well...

I seen a setting somewhere to change the default font size. It's in there...

Plus the predictive text on the Droid is 2nd to none, as long as you get somewhat close to the word you're trying to spell, it'll figure it out...
    can u tell me what those settings ARE? I Can't seem to figure it out

11-10-09 06:25 AM
    i currently own a s1 just got back from the local verizon store played around with the droid and eris and all i can say is wow the browser on the droid is fast really fast the eris browser not quite as fast as the droid but still makes my storm browser look like a dialup connection i didnt have trouble typing on the droid keyboard but it did seem a little clunky to me both great devices also need to say a friend at work has the s2 wasnt impressed at all and to me trying to compare the s2 to either the droid or eris is like comparing a pinto to a corvette as of right now im leaning toward the eris but gonna wait a few weeks to see if the passion drops just my opinion but there is absolutely no way id take a s2 over the eris or droid
    11-10-09 09:54 AM
    Hmmm.... I've downloaded Better Keyboard, but I don't see any options in there to enable a SureType keyboard layout...and I've looked through god knows how many skins in the android market.....can't seem to find it Ideas????
    11-11-09 09:58 PM
    *correction* I don't see the option for what I'm assuming is called the "compact qwerty" keyboard. I can turn on the t9 one and the leet one, but no compact keyboard layout option...
    11-11-09 11:17 PM
    To be honest I miss my storm1, I don't like not having a clickable screen it just doesn't feel right. I also miss the suretype, maybe someone can port it?

11-11-09 11:35 PM
    i went from a storm1 to a storm2 to the driod. and im not looking back. i also have not used the physical keyboard other than to try it as ive been using the virtual constantly. ive used the eris as well for about an hour and typed nice and fast on it.
    11-11-09 11:55 PM
    Storm what???

No, but really, I love the Droid over the storm. I'm a teen, so I love "wow that's cool!" apps. Yes, some might call them useless apps, but I'm out to have fun on my phone. My storm experience was far from "fun". When the software finally ran correctly with the later builds of 5.0, it was the same old crap but just speedier. Unless you have an actual NEED for a feature on blackberry, I think you'll enjoy the droid.

And on the suretype thing, I used that as well. I will say, it is an adjustment to switch.
    11-12-09 12:02 AM
    It's like asking " Whats your opinion on tongue. Is it good?" Some will say it sucks some will swear by it.... If you like it good for you if not so be it.

Come to your own conclusions....thats what we all do in life anyway.
    put me down as pro tongue, the more the better.
    11-12-09 12:54 AM
    If you're a business person than you need to go with the Blackberry. It's email cababilities and secutiry is second to none. I'm a teacher however so while I need email on my phone I don't need it to the point that i'm willing to forfeit all the advantages the droid has over my old Storm. My friends who are businessmen need the Blackberry because it's superior in the business world. Droid is better for me. Crackberry.com is still my fave site to watch troll hunting though.
    11-12-09 10:44 AM
    Alright, we get it, you need to buy some ******* reading glasses. Stop going in every thread talking about how you cannot change the goddamn fonts.
    11-12-09 12:15 PM
    For those who swapped from the S1 or S2 to a Droid, what are your thoughts on it's email? I've read that it is not too good?

Thanks
    11-12-09 12:40 PM
    For those who swapped from the S1 or S2 to a Droid, what are your thoughts on it's email? I've read that it is not too good?

Thanks
    Its ok if you just use gmail. With the Blackberry as it has been mentioned you can delete an email and still leave it on the server. Sorting emails by subject or by sender is far superior on the Storm. This hasn't been mentioned too much in the forums. Also editing an email and cut and paste is very good with the Storm. I used the Droid. Great browser and App available but it didn't suite my needs as I really use my device for communication. Phone, email and text messages. The media player is suprisingly good on the storm as well and its easy to sync music or video not too mention syncing contacts through outlook. As it has been mentioned before what see tour needs and pick your device based on that. Both are good but serve two different purposes.

11-12-09 12:55 PM
    I tried the Eris and looked at the droid but still the storm to me has more user friendly features. The androids have so many areas to search for things. Too many steps to send a text and no ability to save pictures from mms 's that have been sent to you. And coming from a blackberry the FONTS ARE TOO SMALL AND CAN'T BE INLARGED WHAT'S WITH THAT! I just think its not for everyone just as BB are not for everyone.

Enlarged.
    1) Everything is listed in the app tray
    2) there are 2-3 steps to send a text
    a) click MESSAGING
    b) choose a thread or hit "new message"
    c) (if necessary) select your contact
    3) To save pictures from MMS do a long press and copy attached to SD card

The font is too small for you. Perfectly fine for me. Get glasses?
    11-12-09 01:08 PM
    Also editing an email and cut and paste is very good with the Storm.

Last time I checked, you couldn't edit an email on a BB, which has always annoyed me. Yes, I know you can copy and paste but why is it so hard to allow inline replying?
    11-12-09 01:33 PM
    My biggest question is how people are adapting to the Portrait keyboard. I find myself using the Sure Type portrait keyboard quite often since the landscape mode requires both hands. Between the large keys and the auto complete feature, I really don't want to give it up. Any opinions on how usable the Portrait keyboard is would be helpful.
    Rick, I have found that the portrait keyboard on the Droid is WAY easier to use than the Storm's.
    11-12-09 02:03 PM
    Last time I checked, you couldn't edit an email on a BB, which has always annoyed me. Yes, I know you can copy and paste but why is it so hard to allow inline replying?
    Sorry! With Editing I meant copy/paste. When I used the Droid for a my 4days I found it ever so diffcult to use copy and paste . I coluldnt find a way to do it on the virtual key pad . I had to slide the physical key board out and hit alt and then highlight what you wanted to copy and then pate it to area that I wanted. On the storm I just hit select from the menu option . Highlight the area I want . select either copy or cut from the icons the bottom and paste it on a either a new mail , a reply to an email or a forwarding email.
    11-12-09 02:24 PM
    The rest of the post was great this part sucks. I have conducted a worldwide study and I have concluded that no one on earth likes tongue (as a meal )
    Thats not true.

National Deli - Tongue
    11-12-09 05:18 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD