is this the biggest thing Apple has to hold over Android's head? Is it the only thing?

I've honestly never personally experienced or heard of anyone else's with iOS application troubles. Just curious on what others have heard and/or think. I know of the many advantages the other way, just trying to understand the other side of the fence.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-13-11 11:18 PM
    I can say from toying with my moms and friends ios phones apps close if they require an immense amount of work. I was running a search on facebook the other day and the app just closed. Same thing when I was on zillow and bank of america. Only when I have it working hard to find something.
    I got aggravated as a BB user because I usually wait for the clock to go away and the app continues.

I have also experienced this same problem on androids but it doesn't seem as common.

06-13-11 11:32 PM
    Might have to do with the fact that iOS automoatically puts EVERYTHING in the background.

Literally
    EVERYTHING.
    06-13-11 11:54 PM
    I still hate iPhones as an overall, but I like to know the pitfalls and pedestal placements of all devices.

06-14-11 01:04 AM
    I have an iPhone 3G (currently using as an iPod because that's about all it's good for...lol!) and VZW iPhone 4 and also the HTC Thunderbolt. Apple apps, including the ones built into the OS close themselves too when they frack up. The only difference is that they just close...they don't give you a message that says they closed. And I would say it happens with about the same frequency as the T-Bolt, which really isn't that often. In either case it's just the app that crashes though...not like the BB's where if the app crashes the phone reboots for the next 8 minutes!
    K Bear and SevereDeceit like this.
    06-14-11 03:21 AM
    Glad to have you chime in Chuck, and that's good to hear. I don't ever see the force close issue with my Galaxy Tab, but working with Android phones daily I see it on them constantly. I think this is where the dual core proccessors will start to make their value evident.

06-14-11 01:52 PM
    Until they develop better storage media, expect force closes

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    06-15-11 10:05 AM
    Glad to have you chime in Chuck, and that's good to hear. I don't ever see the force close issue with my Galaxy Tab, but working with Android phones daily I see it on them constantly. I think this is where the dual core proccessors will start to make their value evident.

The problem is, not all Android devices are created equally. But, is that truly a problem since users have choices to purchase Android devices that aren't going to be able to grind to a halt with only a few apps and tasks being installed. Problem is, most consumers don't do their homework when purchasing these devices and most retailers push whatever devices will earn them the biggest commission.
    06-15-11 05:50 PM
    I have noticed since switching from my old Storm2 that BB apparently was much better at handling app freezes than Droid seems to be.

--
    Sent using Tapatalk
    06-15-11 11:12 PM
    I have noticed since switching from my old Storm2 that BB apparently was much better at handling app freezes than Droid seems to be.

--
    Sent using Tapatalk
    Hey fellow NCer...

There is no way on earth I can agree with ya, though. BB hourglasses were the bane of my existence. The mere thought of them still makes me quiver and twitch.

My BB hated Socialscope, for example... that was a guaranteed freeze.

I have had a few FCs on Android, but nothing that made me have me to do a battery pull or (gasp!) reboot.

What device do you have?
    06-16-11 12:49 AM
    Hey fellow NCer...

There is no way on earth I can agree with ya, though. BB hourglasses were the bane of my existence. The mere thought of them still makes me quiver and twitch.

My BB hated Socialscope, for example... that was a guaranteed freeze.

I have had a few FCs on Android, but nothing that made me have me to do a battery pull or (gasp!) reboot.

What device do you have?
    i can agree with you on that. whenever i tried to load a facebook message with one of my friends, it would take long to load, i'm guessing the chat is too long so it takes a while to load, but after a while, it would close on me!
    06-16-11 01:37 AM
    My Droid Force closes, but that's due to low memory

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    06-16-11 12:34 PM
    On my MT4G, the only problem I had with force closing apps was the LiveProfile app & occasionally some random Sense process. It was rarely a problem with either, though. I'd just get a pop up asking if I wanted to wait or force close the app. I'd hit "force close" & go about my merry way. No freezes or reboots. I haven't had any force closes on my Sensation yet, but I've only had the phone a little over a full day.
    06-16-11 01:18 PM
    I rarely ever see a Force Close message. It was more common for me to see the dreaded BB hourglass.
    06-16-11 02:03 PM
    I rarely ever see a Force Close message. It was more common for me to see the dreaded BB hourglass.
    Don't know which was worse, the spinning hourglass or the white screen of death due to an app crashing on a Blackberry.
    06-16-11 09:51 PM
    ^ that ^

The back panel cover on my Bold became loose from constantly opening it to pull battery... And who could forget the blinding purity of a WSOD
    06-16-11 10:08 PM
    I usually see the force close message on 3rd party apps such as Facebook. Usually if an app force closes, I delete it and never touch it again.

This message is approved by my transformer
    06-17-11 09:04 AM
    Don't know which was worse, the spinning hourglass or the white screen of death due to an app crashing on a Blackberry.
    White screen of death always freaked me out. I first saw it on vacation just a couple weeks after getting the 9700 (my first & so far only BB). I plugged it into the charger before bed. Apparently the outlet I had it plugged into cut the power if a switch was flipped. Before my dad went to bed, he was going around turning off lights & flipped the switch to the outlet my BB was connected to. The next morning, white screen of death. I had noooo idea what it meant & I was freaking out that my new phone was bricked lol.
    06-17-11 10:29 AM
    I usually see the force close message on 3rd party apps such as Facebook. Usually if an app force closes, I delete it and never touch it again.

Never touch again? Some developers do update their apps you know.
    06-17-11 10:35 AM
    Never touch again? Some developers do update their apps you know.

Depends on the what type of app it is and how much do I want to use it. For example I still have facebook app installed and I still use it since there are no client facebook apps that i liked so far. Unlike twitter for example, I don't use the actual app itself but there are a good number of very good client apps in the market.

06-17-11 10:43 AM
    Understandable
    06-17-11 10:48 AM
    I never have the hourglass problem. The boot time sucks when I do battery pulls, but other than that I am issue free with BB.

06-17-11 02:14 PM
    I never have the hourglass problem. The boot time sucks when I do battery pulls, but other than that I am issue free with BB.

I mostly saw the spinning clock when I was switching between apps or when I was using GPS. It was especially annoying when I was using GPS in an unfamiliar place & I'd have to wait for the clock to go away until I could follow the route again. I haven't had that problem or similar on any of the 3 Android devices I've had so far.
    06-17-11 02:52 PM
    I mostly saw the hourglass like, well, all the time.

Seriously, it was a constant thing. Memory leak was really bad back then.
    06-17-11 03:00 PM

The beauty of Android- little to no battery pulls. Seriously, if an apps is going to fail, I'd rather it force close than brick or freeze up my device. Heck, my 9700 locked up on my multiple times while just browsing WAP sites.
    And before someone tries to tell me user error with the Blackberry, my other half was a level III tech support (smartphone support) for a carrier and now in retail for a third party retailer who has observed the multiple times my 9700 locked up on my for now reason.
    06-17-11 09:20 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD