My wife just got her first smartphone. HTC Inspire 4G with AT&T.

I was reading the other that Google is going to release a security fix in the next few days.

Google: Android security fix to roll out over next few days - CNN.com

1) Will the phone automatically get and install this update?

2) Does she have to manually check for and install this and all updates?

3) If she has to do it manually what is the procedure?

Since I'm a BlackBerry user I am not familiar with Android devices.

Do you have to connect them to a computer in order to sync and/or back them up?

TIA
    05-23-11 08:58 AM
    My wife just got her first smartphone. HTC Inspire 4G with AT&T.

I was reading the other that Google is going to release a security fix in the next few days.

Google: Android security fix to roll out over next few days - CNN.com

1) Will the phone automatically get and install this update?

2) Does she have to manually check for and install this and all updates?

3) If she has to do it manually what is the procedure?

Since I'm a BlackBerry user I am not familiar with Android devices.

Do you have to connect them to a computer in order to sync and/or back them up?

TIA
    1. Someone can correct if I'm wrong, but I believe unless she has a Nexus line phone, she has to wait for the carrier to push the update out (I also believe the update is only available for 2.3)

2. Update notifications are automatically pushed but I believe you can also check them manually in "Settings"

3. Go into the settings, check for updates, download and install (i think that's the location of it, i'm not sure... I've never used HTC Sense extensively)
    05-23-11 09:18 AM
    The device owner doesn't need to do anything. It is all done automatically in the background with no user interaction. The most you might see is a mysterious self reboot of the device.

It's not a full OS update being pushed. But rather more akin to some register settings or a config file being updated on the device.
    05-23-11 10:25 AM
    I've read the security issue was on Google's servers and they could fix it without us Android users doing anything. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-23-11 11:34 AM
    I've read the security issue was on Google's servers and they could fix it without us Android users doing anything. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    When they say it's a server side fix, they mean that Google was able to place the fix on their servers which in turn are pushing the fix to devices that are affected. Ensuring everybody gets the update, and people that are too lazy or not paying attention will get it too.

Here's an excerpt from WIRED magazine...
    • The fix will be made on Google's side of the fence and automatically pushed to those affected, meaning that users don't need to download or install any patches. That's handy because while updates are prevalent in modern smartphones (and unlike iPhone feature-bumps, most Android users can do the entire process on their phone), not everyone takes the time to install them.
    05-23-11 12:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD