Okay so I have had the fascinate for a few months now and I am bored with it so I want to do the whole root thing. I understand rooting is and how to do it, but I'm confused with some other terms. After reading android forums, xda developers, and android central I am even more confused. I know how to do the one click root but what I don't understand is what clockwork recovery mod is, what roms are, and what kernals are. I have Odin installed and have used it so I get that. But if someone could explain to me the concepts of roms and kernals it would help. I know Blackberry concepts and terms very well so if u could compare them to blackberry concepts that would help me understand.
    Specifically I was looking to install the dj05 super clean rom with a themed kernal. Thanks.
    12-17-10 07:56 PM
    Okay so I have had the fascinate for a few months now and I am bored with it so I want to do the whole root thing. I understand rooting is and how to do it, but I'm confused with some other terms. After reading android forums, xda developers, and android central I am even more confused. I know how to do the one click root but what I don't understand is what clockwork recovery mod is, what roms are, and what kernals are. I have Odin installed and have used it so I get that. But if someone could explain to me the concepts of roms and kernals it would help. I know Blackberry concepts and terms very well so if u could compare them to blackberry concepts that would help me understand.
    Specifically I was looking to install the dj05 super clean rom with a themed kernal. Thanks.
    When I had my Fascinate, I didn't get too deep into it but I can TRY to answer. Clockwork is a way to install things (roms, etc). Think of roms like a hybrid os for BlackBerry, it's something someone makes and it's like a custom firmware.
    12-18-10 09:14 AM
    From what I read, the fascinate is easy to root. I would read more about it, and others experienced more just to gain some more understanding, and confidence in the process.
    12-18-10 10:32 AM
    Well the Clockwork ROM Manager is a Tool that is known as a Recovery Image, It allows you to back up, restore, clean cache, clean battery stats and some other things, as well as flashing .zip files. I'll did into that in a second.

ROMs are the operating systems of the phone. gives you all the various options like Wi-fi Tethering, Spare Parts and some other stuff built directly into the phone. And it will change the way the phone looks, feels and acts, and give you custom options that the coder saw fit for his/hers/their ROM. Personally i LOVE Cyanogen(mod) ROMs. I've ran several from XDA and nothing seem to have the fit and finish of Cyanogen.

The Kernal is a the very basis of the OS, it makes the OS work. Flashing different Kernels will effect performance, clockrates and several other features of your phone. I DO NOT recommend messing with the Kernels. The developer test their ROM on a certain kernel. And flashing the wrong kernel can brick the device and/or decrease performance greatly. Now there are some O/C (OverClock) kernels out there that people have build to run with a certain ROM. I would flash the ROM you want, then find a kernel to match the ROM.

Earlier when i mentioned flashing .zip files, those have several benifits. They can flash new ROMs, font Packages. Programs, Wallpapers and several other things. Custom Add ons if you will.

I hope this helps. If you have any question please post them. We have some very smart android cookies floating around here.
    12-18-10 11:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD