I Used to have a 8800.

my progression since has been

T-Mobile G1

iPhone 3GS

HTC desire

So I used to gmail working brilliantly

My old 8800 would do push gmail with no issued but the contacts and calendar was a pita.

I'm used to 2 way wireless sync of contacts and calendar

So is this possible ?
    11-18-10 08:55 PM
    yes its possible and it works very good!! when u set up ur gmail account just select the voice "sync contacts" and "sync calendar" (talking about bis)
    11-18-10 09:08 PM
    I shall have to find a shop with a live demo model.
    11-18-10 09:10 PM
    Gmail works beautifully on the torch, calendar, contacts and email sync work very well. Personally I love my torch if you were to ask me i'd say torch 100% but different people enjoy different toys so i would highly recommend trying it out at a shop fiddle with it for a bit and c how u feel.
    11-18-10 09:41 PM
    what about the slider wobble, not like the 1st batch of nokia N95's is it ?
    11-18-10 09:43 PM
    Gmail and Blackberry go together like cookies and milk man!!!
    11-18-10 10:38 PM
    My slider does not wobble (unless it is forced).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-10 12:31 AM
    the basis for bb is email. and it does it great. that being said i want a torch that doesnt wobble hope i get one that doesnt
    11-19-10 01:38 AM
    Meh, there isn't much convincing needed. If you like the Blackberry platform, you will enjoy it. If you're satisfied with Android then you should stay with something that you're comfortable with. I know many people with Blackberry switching to iPhone and iPhone switching to Blackberry. Many would say they are very satisfied with the vice versa switch and some are not.
    11-19-10 02:44 AM
    I agree, I my self went thru G1, dream and a few other htc and iphone devices , all great but with my first bold I truly felt like blackberry is what I need since then I upgraded to a Torch and I'm loving it. It does what a Blackberry should do + Great social and media device along with a keyboard and outstanding email client, bbm, and since you are coming from the android you will certainly enjoy the social feeds and a bunch more stuff

11-19-10 03:28 AM
    if you need to be CONVINCED, then probably you're better staying with an Android platform.
    and this is the reason why there's no ONE platform to rule them all..
    most people... in the world are actually more comfortable with Symbian OS..
    that's why Nokia is still number 1.
    11-19-10 06:08 AM
    OP, to reiterate the above posts, it all comes down to whether the Torch meets your needs and testing it in the store. If messaging is your priority, the Torch is a great choice. The i4 and the Captivate are also good choices as well. Being a RIM device forum, there will a slight bias, TIC.

11-19-10 06:14 AM
    I have not noticed this problem on regular use, but if you want it to wobble it will with force. Thats the same with most sklide or flip phones.

I do not experience any of the wobble problems when using the phone.
    11-19-10 06:15 AM
    if you need to be CONVINCED, then probably you're better staying with an Android platform.
    I'm always amused whenever I see a post with someone wanting "convincing"; either you take a chance on it or you don't.

I vacillated between the Bold 9700 I was using and the Torch 9800 before I finally pulled the trigger with no input from anyone else. How hard can that be?
    11-19-10 06:23 AM
    When my wife had a Tour and I had a Droid (IMAP gmail) the same push gmail got to her about 5 seconds before it showed up on my Droid. However, BB does not have true IMAP support so it is more difficult to manage your gmail than with an Android device. I think it comes down to whether you want true IMAP. In my experience Android manages gmail better than BB or iphone. BB is better for Yahoo mail.

Android syncs contacts and calendars with gmail seamlessly. The updates happen within a few seconds with no second party programs needed.
    11-19-10 06:36 AM
    +1
    Couldn't have said it better myself. If you NEED CONVINCING then you should probably stick with what you know. The android platform.
    jcp007 likes this.
    11-19-10 06:40 AM
    Gmail and Blackberry go together like cookies and milk man!!!
    If gmail is the cookie you love, which you hope would be even tastier with milk (BB), then this metaphor is accurate - including the horrible reality that your dreams are smashed when you dunk the cookie in the milk and it crumbles into a horrible mess which you have to dig out the bottom with your fingers.

For the record, I'm not a BB basher. I am mostly enjoying the torch, my first BB - but wish someone had dispelled the myth of the BB being the ultimate email device (at least for gmail) before my 30 day trial was up. Although I have no basis for comparing it to android, here are my observations of gmail on the torch (with BIS on AT&T in the United States):

1) The BB messages app (even with the so-called "enhanced" gmail plug-in) does NOT provide a reasonable IMAP, push email experience

1a) it can literally take hours for actions taken in other email clients (eg reading or archiving vias the web interface) to be reflected in the BB messages app - see discussion here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/gma...il-app-527040/

1b) although incoming email is typically received in a timely manner (ie within minutes of appearance in other email clients), it frequently is delayed (anywhere from 5-60 minutes). Problem seems to effect me most when BB is switching between wifi and AT&T data network. Even worse, most mornings after I bring phone out of bedside mode I have to send myself an email or dig into the options settings to re-send the service books - before my phone will reflect email received during the night.

1c) your entire gmail account is NOT synced to the BB; only the emails from the date of the setup forward. So for example, you cannot view any of your "all mail" prior to the date you joined the BB club - see http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/pr...yncing-524834/

1d) occasionally emails are not sent, and you have to discover this yourself and manually re-send them - http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/pro...-gmail-542528/

2) Google's gmail app for the BB has very limited functionality compared to the BB messages app

2a) it does not display inline HTML

2b) it is not integrated with the BB contacts or calendar databases - I suppose a workaround at least for contacts would be to sync BB contactswith gmail contacts, but as I already sync with outlook on my laptop I don't want to add in another level of potential conflict (eg due to unsupported fields)

2c) search function is buggy - see http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/help-gmail-512835/

In light of thes problems, I typically use the BB messages app for most gmail stuff, but keep the google gmail for BB app running as well. Based on my experience, if a quality gmail experience is your highest priority then I would NOT reccomend the Torch. I don't know - and frankly don't care - if the problems that myself and others have reported is due to RIM or google or both. The bottom line is that gmail does not work well on my torch.

Last edited by somainer; 01-01-11 at 10:42 PM.
    11-19-10 08:46 AM
    When my wife had a Tour and I had a Droid (IMAP gmail) the same push gmail got to her about 5 seconds before it showed up on my Droid. However, BB does not have true IMAP support so it is more difficult to manage your gmail than with an Android device. I think it comes down to whether you want true IMAP. In my experience Android manages gmail better than BB or iphone. BB is better for Yahoo mail.

Android syncs contacts and calendars with gmail seamlessly. The updates happen within a few seconds with no second party programs needed.
    I'm not sure what you are refering to by "no second party programs needed"
    Gmail syncs with Blackberry via BIS without the need of anything, such as Googlesync, that it needed in the past.
    Last edited by pmccartney; 11-19-10 at 09:22 AM. Reason: fixed image link
    11-19-10 09:16 AM
    Gmail syncs contacts, calendar and email, however, not without issues on the BB. Before the Torch, I was using an HTC and then the iPhone 4. Both the iPhone 4 and BB have different issues with GMail, however, the HTC Desire worked BEAUTIFULLY which is expected.

On the BB, if I would delete an email without opening it, it would continue to remain in my INBOX as an unread message on GMail's web client. Opening and then deleting the message on the BB solves this issue. On the desktop side, if I read an email on the Web Client, it would correctly get marked as read on my BB, however, if I delete an email on the Web Client, it would not get deleted from my BB and I would have to manually delete it on the BB.
    11-19-10 01:18 PM
    I have no wobble on my 9800. It's been solid since I got it almost three weeks ago. I use Yahoo, not G-mail, so I can't comment on how G-mail works on the 9800, but I assume it's similar since I get calendar and contact sync with Yahoo.

I went from an 8100 to the iPhone3G, and now to the 9800. I have to say, I prefer the BB platform and love having the track pad and physical keyboard, I always hated the iPhone touchscreen keyboard.

I have to admit though, I love looking through damnyouautocorrect.com, I remember how hilarious some of the auto-correct words on iPhone were.
    11-19-10 04:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD