EXCLUSIVE: Verizon Dropping Google Search From All Future Androids? � Android Phones, Android Tips, Android News Thedroidguy.com

"We�ve been working on this story since yesterday in regards to the Verizon Samsung Fascinate, A Galaxy S Phone. After the Samsung Galaxy release event in late June we discovered, as the rest of you did, that Bing would be the search on the fascinate. We pinged Verizon spokeswoman, back on July 1, 2010 who gave us this reply: �We also have a great relationship with Microsoft and Bing is the default search engine on our feature phones. Customers may change the search engine on their phones if they like. �

However after careful review of the Samsung Fascinate we found that the �Google Search� bar is not in the Android Widgets menu, nor can you access it from market. Also we tried several APK�s of the Google Seach bar and have not been able to get those to work either. These APK�s are working on the Captivate, and Vibrant as side loads.

Here�s where the story gets interesting. 2 of our Verizon tipsters, including the one who substantiated those HTC Merge photos back on August 4th, have told us that Verizon is dropping the Google Search from all future Android Devices and offering Bing in it�s place.

We were under the impression that Verizon is committed to the entire Google/Android experience."
    09-09-10 10:42 AM
    Ouch that would really suck..
    09-09-10 11:07 AM
    That would suck. But I think Droid-life mentioned that google search is not showing up in the market because 2.2 is required.
    09-09-10 11:17 AM
    That would suck. But I think Droid-life mentioned that google search is not showing up in the market because 2.2 is required.
    I highly doubt that because "Google Search" has never had an issue being installed on 2.1 before...

Update: Just checked the Market & it shows for me & I'm on 2.1
    Last edited by YaBoiD; 09-09-10 at 11:35 AM.
    09-09-10 11:32 AM
    Has nothing to do with 2.2.
    09-09-10 11:42 AM
    Motorola phones are exempt though..... whew...........
    09-09-10 12:46 PM
    Motorola phones are exempt though..... whew...........
    I didn't see that...everything I've seen on the net includes ALL Vzw Android phones. Hope you're right though.
    09-09-10 01:21 PM
    If true, I am very disappointed. What next? "Android" phones that don't truly integrate Gmail?
    09-09-10 01:26 PM
    I didn't see that...everything I've seen on the net includes ALL Vzw Android phones. Hope you're right though.
    As Verizon Implements Bing Default Search Deal, Company Sees User Backlash

I bet google has someting to do with this because when the Droid first came out it was google motorola and verizon. N google wanted VZ's grubby little mits off...
    Also I might add that ther article must hold true because if it were not the case Bing would have been on the X as well as the D2.
    Last edited by TrendyProfessional1; 09-09-10 at 01:36 PM.
    09-09-10 01:32 PM
    doesn't seem like a big deal to me. it just means we'll have options. the same way micro$oft was forced to give people an option of which default browser to use.
    09-09-10 01:39 PM
    I notice on the 360 view of the Fascinate, the battery cover doesn't say "with Google" on it, like the Droid, Eris, Droid 2, Droid X, and Ally did...
    09-09-10 01:42 PM
    I notice on the 360 view of the Fascinate, the battery cover doesn't say "with Google" on it, like the Droid, Eris, Droid 2, Droid X, and Ally did...
    @BzB
    I agree choices are good.
    But I would rather stick with the search engine of the one who invented the OS..... as far as Android goes. Maybe Bing is nice it can be downloaded from the market
    09-09-10 01:55 PM
    It'll be fixed on rooted phones pretty quick, I'm sure.

Still, blocking Google search from Google's own OS? That's rather stupid.
    09-09-10 01:57 PM
    trendy, i agree. i've never used bing before and i'm very familiar with android/google. i guess this is another issue that adds more credence to being rooted. i can make fatbootycakes.com my default search engine if i want.

edit - and i did google that website after the fact just to check if it were real. lol. unfortunately no dice.
    Last edited by BzB; 09-09-10 at 02:00 PM.
    09-09-10 01:58 PM
    OCTOBER my contract ends. If Verizon doesn't loosen up, I am a sprint 4G customer Bing isn't too bad, its the principal of lying in bed with Microsoft, and no one else that bothers me. Prudes, rofl.

And no, my comment is not a metaphor for life, ha ha.
    09-09-10 02:04 PM
    I'm just remembering how they threw Bing at their Blackberry's as the only search engine without an option to switch back. Have they provided the option to change back to Google or Yahoo since?
    Last edited by YaBoiD; 09-09-10 at 03:22 PM.
    09-09-10 02:07 PM
    No they have not, it is still defaulted with no way to change it. I hate it but i just go to my browser and use Google.com as my search instead of using the search bar that is integrated into the browser.
    09-09-10 03:05 PM
    well this sucks.. i noticed this also on the 9650 when i had one, it had bing too
    09-09-10 03:23 PM
    I wasn't 100% sure about the 2.2 thing. I just hope their droid devices remain "with google".
    09-09-10 04:09 PM
    Google Search is now back on the Fascinate...
    09-09-10 04:16 PM
    Google Search is now back on the Fascinate...
    By root yes, or by Verizon unlocking it?
    09-09-10 04:18 PM
    09-09-10 04:20 PM
    Cool
    09-09-10 04:34 PM
    09-09-10 04:46 PM
    SD that doesnt work, even if you download launcher pro and you search something in the widget and it re directs you back to bing
    09-09-10 04:46 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD