I am planning to upgrade from my BB Curve. I finally (I think) decided on the Evo over the iphone. This is mostly because I would like to stay with Sprint...also, the new iphone seems so small to me. But now I see mention of an Epic 4 for Sprint.
    Other than the physical keyboard on the Epic (which is nice), what are the other differences?
    When will the Epic be out?
    Are they basically the same except for the keyboard or am I totally missing something (I am pretty clueless re: android, sorry).
    07-01-10 02:11 PM
    I had the EVO but need a physical keyboard. So I will be getting the Epic when it comes out for my "weekend" phone.
    07-01-10 04:29 PM
    The Epic has a slightly smaller screen 4" vs 4.3", lower res camera on the front and back to the evo (vga/5MP vs 1.3MP/8MP), no HDMI out, hummingbird 1ghz processor vs snapdragon 1ghz processor. The Epic has touch wiz UI, while the evo has the Sense UI.

I love my evo, and not too fond of horizontal keyboards, at the end of the day its up to whatever you wasn't.
    07-01-10 06:41 PM
    The Epic looks like a great device. Km glad that Sprint is beeping up its lineup. But I don't think that the Epic is better than the EVO, just because I prefer an all touch device. But I may change my tune if I had the Epic in my hand. I am definitely curious about it. The keyboard looks amazing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-02-10 04:57 AM
    Returned my Evo ystrdy & got the 9650 to hold me over until the Epic 4G drops...
    07-02-10 09:05 AM
    I would be all over the Epic.......................
    07-02-10 09:35 AM
    you guys seriously dont know about android or the hardware thats packing inside the EPIC... the epic clearly kills the EVO in most aspects.. that 1 ghz hummingbird processor with GPU clearly wins over a old snap dragon processor running on the evo. the AMOLED screen alone makes it worth the jump
    07-02-10 11:28 AM
    you guys seriously dont know about android or the hardware thats packing inside the EPIC... the epic clearly kills the EVO in most aspects.. that 1 ghz hummingbird processor with GPU clearly wins over a old snap dragon processor running on the evo. the AMOLED screen alone makes it worth the jump
    Yeeup +1......
    07-02-10 12:07 PM
    You are right..I AM clueless about these androids!
    So, any info you can provide me would be great. I was all ready to get the Evo...but I would love to hear specifics that make Epic better. Hummingbird? Does that mean it's faster? Also, I don't know what AMOLED is??
    Told you...I am clueless ! But, I am picky about having a good phone so please enlighten me!!!!
    I would like as much info as possible.
    Also...when are these expected to be available?
    I am so sick of my curve...it's SO SLOW!!!!!!
    07-02-10 12:29 PM
    So, any info you can provide me would be great. I was all ready to get the Evo...but I would love to hear specifics that make Epic better. Hummingbird? Does that mean it's faster? Also, I don't know what AMOLED is??
    Told you...I am clueless ! But, I am picky about having a good phone so please enlighten me!!!!
    I think this is what you're looking for: link
    07-02-10 01:02 PM
    I'm not partial to either device, but from the looks of it, the Epic's UI (it's not called Touch Wiz) looks pretty ugly. Sense is an acquired taste, as well, but it is a nice working OS and has been proven time and time again. Would I get a Sense device? No, mostly because I think HTC hardware is **** wrapped in an ******* sandwich. You can't deny the fact that the Epic has the Evo on specs but it really comes down to which operating system you will like more. Sense or the Samsung one.
    07-02-10 01:19 PM
    My only problem with the epic 4g is Touch Wiz it reminds me of the iPhone UI to much i really hope that your able to turn off touch wiz and have the vanilla Android UI(if not i would just get a home replacement such as launcher pro or GDE)
    07-02-10 02:41 PM
    The hummingbird is a very fast processor, it does outperform the snapdragon but slightly, its main strength is in its graphics (much better than the snapdragon) which means its going to render graphic heavy pages faster and 3d content faster and run it better. The hummingbird uses less energy due to its 45nm design which means more battery life compared to the snapdragon.

Screen wise, Super AMOLED is excellent, more energy efficient (better battery life) great colors and blacker blacks. The draw back is once you go outside the screen is pretty much terrible in sunlight.

Get whatever suits you. If you try to play the spec game and buy the best, might as well wait. Whatever you get will be outclassed with the introduction of the dual core snapdragons phones coming out later this year, and they will hand both the evo and epic their ***.
    07-02-10 02:52 PM
    well i have not tried Touch Wiz which i would be curious to try but im pretty sure the SDX community will be able to get stock on it either way...

newmomto1- it also depends on what you like.. the EVO isnt a bad device at all but if you are looking into hardware the EPIC beats it .. I need a physical keyboard which is why i would get the EPIC. as for the processor.. Evo is using a old 1 ghz snapdragon processor with no GPU (gpu is dedicated to video as in gaming) the EPIC is using samsung own made Hummingbird Processor with a GPU ( Gaming on it and videos will rock on it) when it comes hardware Samsung doesnt F*** around. The EVO is biggest so typing on it isnt a problem either because i used my uncles EVO. But im a Techie and I need MOAAARR Power .. Evo has a 8 mp camera in the back and 1.3 in the front . Epic has 5 in the back and vga in the front which is lower then 1.3... so thats a lost there. but the processing power and the ability to overclock it and made it fast is on the EPIC.. but for a everday user both are fine just your choice if you like all touch screen or keyboard.. both are great phones but i perfer samsung!
    07-02-10 02:52 PM
    devildrifterX your drawback is wrong .. the AMOLED is possibly the best screen ever in the sunlight all the other phones have terrible display when seeing in the sun..

http://www.androidcentral.com/screen...irect-sunlight

i havent seen a real drawback on the AMOLED screen.
    07-02-10 02:59 PM
    My only problem with the epic 4g is Touch Wiz it reminds me of the iPhone UI to much i really hope that your able to turn off touch wiz and have the vanilla Android UI(if not i would just get a home replacement such as launcher pro or GDE)
    Keep in mind Gingerbread is coming later this year - which is a major graphical update, according to some possibly making custom Android skins like Sense and TouchWiz obsolete (cross your fingers).
    07-02-10 06:24 PM
    devildrifterX your drawback is wrong .. the AMOLED is possibly the best screen ever in the sunlight all the other phones have terrible display when seeing in the sun..

http://www.androidcentral.com/screen...irect-sunlight

i havent seen a real drawback on the AMOLED screen.
    LCD still outperforms S AMOLED in direct sunlight, not a matter of opinion. Is it better than before? Yes, but I can get that visibility just from only 80% brightness on my EVO, and living in florida, that is a big deal since I don't stay cooped up in the house during the day.

I like the screen on the epic but it is what it is.
    07-02-10 09:45 PM
    LCD still outperforms S AMOLED in direct sunlight, not a matter of opinion. Is it better than before? Yes, but I can get that visibility just from only 80% brightness on my EVO, and living in florida, that is a big deal since I don't stay cooped up in the house during the day.

I like the screen on the epic but it is what it is.
    did you watch the video... the S beat all three..

the evo doesnt use use AMOLED so your not making sense here if living flordia is a big deal then get the EPIC ... the video is proof enough said
    07-03-10 03:43 PM
    Epic 4, if I can order.
    07-04-10 03:37 AM
    did you watch the video... the S beat all three..

the evo doesnt use use AMOLED so your not making sense here if living flordia is a big deal then get the EPIC ... the video is proof enough said
    Guess what device AIN'T UP THERE?! Ill give you a hint, it starts with an E and ends with a VO. I mean we might as well throw an iPhone 4 in there, but then it would whip every phone in that video in regards to the screen, including my EVO.

Seriously my EVO IS MORE VISIBLE THAN EVERY PHONE IN THAT VIDEO. I'm not saying its better overall than Super Amoled, cause its not not by a longshot . But if you think Super Amoled is the hottest thing under the sun your feelings will be hurt when you see it in person (and i have but it was the Jet, some european cat had one at the resort I work at) in bright lights
    07-04-10 10:21 AM
    Guess what device AIN'T UP THERE?! Ill give you a hint, it starts with an E and ends with a VO. I mean we might as well throw an iPhone 4 in there, but then it would whip every phone in that video in regards to the screen, including my EVO.

Seriously my EVO IS MORE VISIBLE THAN EVERY PHONE IN THAT VIDEO. I'm not saying its better overall than Super Amoled, cause its not not by a longshot . But if you think Super Amoled is the hottest thing under the sun your feelings will be hurt when you see it in person (and i have but it was the Jet, some european cat had one at the resort I work at) in bright lights
    Amen my brother
    07-04-10 10:52 AM
    Yea I can see my Droids screen in the sun better than any AMOLED screen out there. I would love an AMOLED screen though. The color is incredible and I can deal with the sun "issues".
    07-04-10 10:59 AM
    Yea I can see my Droids screen in the sun better than any AMOLED screen out there. I would love an AMOLED screen though. The color is incredible and I can deal with the sun "issues".
    +1

I can't remember the last time I was just chillin out in direct sunlight using my phone for long periods of time unless I was on a call, in which case I don't need to see the screen.
    07-04-10 01:04 PM
    +1

I can't remember the last time I was just chillin out in direct sunlight using my phone for long periods of time unless I was on a call, in which case I don't need to see the screen.
    Exactly. The benefits of an AMOLED screen outweigh the negatives.
    07-04-10 01:49 PM
    How does the Hummingbird processor kill the Snapdragon? Both are clocked at 1GHz and I bet Sprint will lock the Epic at 30FPS as well. If you're talking about the GPU, then yeah that is obviously better than the Snapdragon's. However, if you do an overall side-by-side hardware comparison, the EVO absolutely smokes the Epic IMO. Oh, and BTW, a few mods will get you an overclocked Adreno GPU. Also, I could really care less about an Amoled screen.
    07-04-10 04:23 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD