The SMS issue is addressed in this update. This is the exact problem I had that was driving a friend crazy. Its on page 4.

HTC Droid Eris OTA Update Coming Too | Android Phone Fans
    11-09-09 03:59 PM
    Thanks for this find; it lets me read all of the issues before I go buy the device. Though I haven't found it yet, does it state when the 2.0 update is coming? I'm glad that they're getting these issues fixed so fast! (December, January)
    11-09-09 04:11 PM
    So I guess no 2.0 this year then?
    11-09-09 04:11 PM
    Well, it labels in smaller print if the fix / update is coming in the December 'patch' or the January 'patch'. Did you not see it at all, roe?
    11-09-09 04:16 PM
    Why does it list issues with Exchange/ActiveSync when the Eris is Android 1.x, which does not even have ActiveSync?
    11-09-09 04:20 PM
    Many things will get resolved with the December update, the rest in January. Who knows with 2.0. I expect it in January though.
    11-09-09 04:20 PM
    Why does it list issues with Exchange/ActiveSync when the Eris is Android 1.x, which does not even have ActiveSync?
    It does have ActiveSync. I use it on my Eris daily. It was added on by HTC, like a number of other things vanilla 1.5 lacks.
    11-09-09 04:57 PM
    I just played with an Eris and saw that it has ActiveSync. Nice! So, can that add-on be put on other Android 1.x phones? I thought it was a 2.0-only thing.
    11-10-09 10:58 AM
    What SMS issue is this you speak of?
    11-10-09 01:45 PM
    the native sms app prevents the phone from "sleeping" when it is locked and drains the battery faster then you can say eris pwns.

to fix it go into your native sms app, menu, options, turn all notifications off
    download the handcent sms app from the market (which is pimp btw)
    send one message with handcent
    reboot device

problem solved. (hopefully, worked for me)

to see for yourself, go to settings>about phone>status and look at wake time. if it is 100% you have the problem. check it after the fix, it should be 50% or below.
    Last edited by Caddyman; 11-10-09 at 01:57 PM.
    11-10-09 01:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD