I played with the droid and the eris... and I too prefer the eris. Just feels better and much more polished. Anyway, for those of you that have been using the eris could you let me know your impressions of a few items please....

1. Any problems activating the phone when carrying it in your pocket?

2. There have been a couples posts about a serious problem with the native text messaging of the device... any truth to those posts or is the texting ok?

3. I realize there isn't a flash but as for the camera how's the picture quality?

4. Any other impressions that haven't been discussed in other posts?

I appreciate your input. I've ordered mine but just wanted to hear from some of you that have been actually using it as your device and not just doing a demo in the stores. Thanks.
    11-07-09 10:56 PM
    !. Don't carry the Eris in a pocket, so can't answer this one.
    2, No issues with the messaging app at all.
    3. Camera worked fine when I took some pics indoors this morning. I was surprised, actually.

Really like this phone....and once I learn more about the OS and what all the phone can do, I'm sure I'll like it even more.
    11-07-09 11:12 PM
    That's great to hear about texting and camera. Would love to hear from other owners too about these things. I've always carried my pearl in my pocket so I'm sure out of habit that's where the eris is gonna go also so would love some feedback on that as well. Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-09 11:27 PM
    No issues in the pocket, still learning on texting but good so far. Camera is fine. Really a smooth device, way less lag than I expected and the screen is beautiful. Nice keyboard too, typed this up on my eris actually.

11-07-09 11:34 PM
    1. Any problems activating the phone when carrying it in your pocket?

None at all, i carried it around all day today and it never accidentally turns on.

2. There have been a couples posts about a serious problem with the native text messaging of the device... any truth to those posts or is the texting ok?

Haven't noticed any problems, i've gotten all my text messages so far and i'm using the native program.

3. I realize there isn't a flash but as for the camera how's the picture quality?

I love the camera on this thing, I also downloaded the barcode app and have scanned in quite a few products very easily.

4. Any other impressions that haven't been discussed in other posts?

Great phone, i'm coming form a curve, hasn't taken me too long to adjust to the typing. Sense UI is awesome and overall i am more then happy with the phone.
    11-07-09 11:40 PM
    !. Don't carry the Eris in a pocket, so can't answer this one.
    2, No issues with the messaging app at all.
    3. Camera worked fine when I took some pics indoors this morning. I was surprised, actually.

Really like this phone....and once I learn more about the OS and what all the phone can do, I'm sure I'll like it even more.
    Lock the phone before pocketing it, simple.
    The SMS issue is a known issue. But it can be easily fixed.
    Camera takes very good pictures.
    11-07-09 11:59 PM
    I'm really excited about this phone. Especially after hearing these good reviews. Thanks for your input! Was planning on keeping my Pearl around until I was positive I liked the Eris but it sounds like it may find a new home sooner than expected...I loved my Pearl but time to move on... Anyone notice anything else about the Eris that might be helpful?
    11-08-09 12:00 AM
    Lock the phone before pocketing it, simple.
    The SMS issue is a known issue. But it can be easily fixed.
    Camera takes very good pictures.
    What is the easy fix for the text issues?

Had planned on locking before putting it in my pocket but wasn't sure if maybe someone had noticed it unlocking easily or something similar? I always put my Pearl in standby before putting it in my pocket but every once in awhile I hit it just right and it comes out of standby mode.

I'm really happy to hear the picture quality is good. Was worried since there's no flash.
    11-08-09 12:04 AM
    What is the easy fix for the text issues?

Had planned on locking before putting it in my pocket but wasn't sure if maybe someone had noticed it unlocking easily or something similar? I always put my Pearl in standby before putting it in my pocket but every once in awhile I hit it just right and it comes out of standby mode.

I'm really happy to hear the picture quality is good. Was worried since there's no flash.
    The lock is activated by pressing down the right button briefly and unlocked by pressing the same button then down swiping the screen. You can also setup a swipe pattern. You could probably do it with your hand in your pocket but it would be pretty difficult.

The fix for the sms issue is listed in the eris tips and tricks thread. Disable notifications, dont use the widget and use the Chomp client. This will not be a issue when android 2 comes out for Eris. Which I have been told will not be too far off (q1 of 2010).
    11-08-09 12:11 AM
    The lock is activated by pressing down the right button briefly and unlocked by pressing the same button then down swiping the screen. You can also setup a swipe pattern. You could probably do it with your hand in your pocket but it would be pretty difficult.

The fix for the sms issue is listed in the eris tips and tricks thread. Disable notifications, dont use the widget and use the Chomp client. This will not be a issue when android 2 comes out for Eris. Which I have been told will not be too far off (q1 of 2010).
    Ok so it sounds like everything is good except for the native text issue. Will have to check out the text app you spoke of then.
    11-08-09 12:16 AM
    Why are you worrying so much about this text issue before you even get the phone? You probably won't have the problem.
    11-08-09 12:19 AM
    If you are having some battery life issues, its probably due to the native messaging app. If its anything like the Sprint version, the native app wont allow the phone to sleep, it stays awake always. Handcent sms is the best text app on the market. Its customizable and free, and it is not affected by the sms bug.
    11-08-09 12:20 AM
    Why are you worrying so much about this text issue before you even get the phone? You probably won't have the problem.
    Because I text A LOT! I'm hoping I don't have a problem. I have had a great experience with my BB and I'm a bit cautious about changing to a new OS so I'm just trying to find out as much as possible as I can so when my phone arrives I can hit the ground running and have a great experience with it.
    11-08-09 12:22 AM
    Understandable, but worrying too much can't be healthy.
    11-08-09 12:23 AM
    Understandable, but worrying too much can't be healthy.
    You are correct. I would say 90% of what I use my BB for is texting, email, and calendar. Since I use gmail for email and google for calendar wasn't concerned with those but the sms is different. Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.
    11-08-09 12:26 AM
    Because I text A LOT! I'm hoping I don't have a problem. I have had a great experience with my BB and I'm a bit cautious about changing to a new OS so I'm just trying to find out as much as possible as I can so when my phone arrives I can hit the ground running and have a great experience with it.
    I text heavily as well. The alternatives to the native SMS client are truly better. They are threaded, fast and easy. Typing is so much easier than on the S1 that its not even funny. Even typing on the portrait keyboard is a snap. Something I couldn't do on my storm.
    11-08-09 12:29 AM
    Thanks again for all of the input! Any suggestions for apps?
    11-08-09 01:33 AM
    You can peruse some of them here. Free Apps List:
    Just select a category and browse around.

Android Market
    Last edited by SGracer; 11-08-09 at 01:56 AM.
    11-08-09 01:54 AM
    What were the first apps all of you downloaded for your eris?

11-08-09 08:04 AM
    I have an add on to the questions already asked and answered, if you guys don't mind.
    How much free memory was on the phone when you got it? The demo I looked at only 133MB available and the droid had about 245MB.

11-08-09 08:40 AM
    I have an add on to the questions already asked and answered, if you guys don't mind.
    How much free memory was on the phone when you got it? The demo I looked at only 133MB available and the droid had about 245MB.

Yes and I'd like to know what are the typical sizes of the apps as well. Any input?

11-08-09 09:35 AM

the unit in the store, when I went to go try it out, had about 114MB available memory.

When I brought my unit home it was one of the first things I checked (force of habit I guess) and I had about 147MB of available memory. I downloaded about 30 apps last night and right now I'm at 114MB or so.
    11-08-09 10:04 AM
    Yes and I'd like to know what are the typical sizes of the apps as well. Any input?

Typical size of apps as far as I noticed is about 1MB. Some a little more some a little less
    11-08-09 10:05 AM
    the unit in the store, when I went to go try it out, had about 114MB available memory.

When I brought my unit home it was one of the first things I checked (force of habit I guess) and I had about 147MB of available memory. I downloaded about 30 apps last night and right now I'm at 114MB or so.
    That's pretty good news. I love my pearl but I think it would laugh at me if I told it I was gonna download 30 apps to it in one night!

11-08-09 10:09 AM
    And answering the OP's questions...

I carry mine around in my pocket and so far no issues with unlocking the device. As already mentioned it is pretty difficult to hit the end key and swipe the device when it is in your pocket.

I have been using the native messaging app and I wasn't even aware there was an issue with it so I guess it is ok. I'm going to look more into that though.
    As far as typing is concerned, I type pretty fast on the Eris and I'm coming from a long line of blackberries including the S1 and the S2. There is more of a learning curve but you get used to it after a day or so.
    11-08-09 10:10 AM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD