Hey all, I currently have a storm but the screen just broke (backlight went off wont come on again) for the second time and my upgrade is due. I loved the eris in person and the droid felt a tad too bulky for me. I've heard the eris battery life is bad...(How bad is bad? can it make it through 1 day? my storm can hardly do that). I was just wondering once you start to throw apps on it how much does it really bog down?

Thanks in advance!
    11-15-09 12:35 PM
    Oh my gosh. Shut the **** up. I'm sure he knows the Storm 2 exists and probably tried it out in the store. Not everyone cares about changing ******* font sizes.
    11-15-09 01:14 PM
    I don't even own an Android phone yet. I will in a little over a week. It's just really annoying seeing you come into EVERY Android thread telling them to get a Storm 2 because you can't change the font sizes.
    11-15-09 02:05 PM
    I have a droid and my wife has the eris. We both had Storm 1's and we are not going back. Android is very smooth. The Sense UI on the Eris is very smooth on the desktop. but opening apps is a little slower. On the droid the desktop is a little laggy but opening apps is very fast. As far as the battery goes on the Eris out of the box it was horrible. It was dead after 6 hours. After changing some settings I got it last 15 hours.
    11-15-09 02:08 PM
    Obviously the OS was going to be new to them. These are Verizon's first Android devices. Verizon has had Blackberry's for years, so they should be more familiar with them.

Either way, I had never touched an Android device before and had no problem navigating around them. It's really not too hard.
    11-15-09 02:40 PM
    How does this help the OP?

--------------------------------

like all phones with a tad of tweaking you can make it last all day. I would compare the battery life of the eris to the storm 1. I dont have an android phone yet, leaning to the eris hoping for the passion. But my brother in law let me play with his eris for a day and it probably would have made it all day had i not been surfing the web and watching videos all day good luck to you
    11-15-09 04:52 PM
    Now now calm down I will post whatever I won't on these fourms. My opinion might help others out with their decision on buying a phone. You must be frustated with your font sizes!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    It's really frustrating seeing you continuously harping about this font size thing when after several of your posts you've been told multiple times that your information is wrong! You can in fact change the font size throughout the entire phone! How is your false information gonna help someone make a decision? Find a new forum to spread your mis information please!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-09 04:58 PM
    Hey all thanks for the posts...yeah I've used the storm 2 and yes it is good i like the new screen and everything. RIM just isn't giving me the updates I want right now so I figure ill give the android devices a shot..always a big fan of HTC. If in 2 years RIM is the one with the best gear then I'll gladly change back. As for battery life the storm 1 is awful i get about a day thats it out of it so as long as the eris will get me through most of the day Ill be happy/ I'm sure new after market batteries and proper app management i'll be fine. The only thing that worried me was people mentioned the phone wasn't powerful enough to handle sense UI and had heard that once you load it up you slow right down.

Thanks Again though!
    11-15-09 05:37 PM
    Hey all thanks for the posts...yeah I've used the storm 2 and yes it is good i like the new screen and everything. RIM just isn't giving me the updates I want right now so I figure ill give the android devices a shot..always a big fan of HTC. If in 2 years RIM is the one with the best gear then I'll gladly change back. As for battery life the storm 1 is awful i get about a day thats it out of it so as long as the eris will get me through most of the day Ill be happy/ I'm sure new after market batteries and proper app management i'll be fine. The only thing that worried me was people mentioned the phone wasn't powerful enough to handle sense UI and had heard that once you load it up you slow right down.

Thanks Again though!
    I agree with you. For the last 2 weeks I've been fortunate enough to use both the Storm 2 and the HTC Hero (which is pretty much the same as Eris).

As a BB only user for the past 6 years, Android took some getting use to, but right out the box I was amazed by the OS and apps. I had to plans whatsoever of switching from my 8900 to either Storm or Hero but after using Android I can't help myself... I'm sticking with it for now.
    11-15-09 05:50 PM
    I have a droid and my wife has the eris. We both had Storm 1's and we are not going back. Android is very smooth. The Sense UI on the Eris is very smooth on the desktop. but opening apps is a little slower. On the droid the desktop is a little laggy but opening apps is very fast. As far as the battery goes on the Eris out of the box it was horrible. It was dead after 6 hours. After changing some settings I got it last 15 hours.
    what settings did u change?
    11-15-09 08:41 PM
    I had to download handcent for sms. Some phones have a bug where the messages app wont let the phone sleep. The phone goes dark but it's still awake. Goto settings, status, and at the bottom it will give you a awake %. If its 100% then its not sleeping. So you download handcent or chompSMS send a text using one of those app. Then set the default for sms to use that app. Reboot the phone and let it go dark for 1 min. Then check the awake time. It should be around 50%.

I also turned always on off. Goto wirelss controls, then mobile network settings, and uncheck always on. Im not sure if this part helped but I did it anyways.

The message part is better explained here halfway down the first post.
    Eris Tips and Tricks - Android Forums

Hope this helps. It worked for us. Battery life is still not great but it got alot better. Hopefully the update in dec. will fix everything.
    11-15-09 09:18 PM
    Battery life is fine, and actually good if you're just using your Droid Eris as a phone and a little messaging. As far as bogging down, etc....it will blow away any S1 or S2, so don't worry about that! No bog down whatsoever for me, just smooth and awesome....peace!
    11-15-09 09:30 PM
    Ya I agree the battery life on my eris was not good at all. I couldn't make it past 6 hours of use without having to charge it. And I had done the SMS fix a d turned off wifi, GPS, backlight, etc. So I just returned it and got the doid and couldn't be happier. With heavy use my Droid can last me about 12 hrs
    11-16-09 08:20 AM
    Woo thanks for all the responses. Yeah I understand the battery life on this bad boy just isn't good by any stretch of the imagination. Like I said I hope that after-market batteries will be made and with proper app and setting management I should be able to manage. After all Verizon gives 30 days for m eto figure out how much I like it. I'm very happy with the posts and responses in this thread.

BUT! I like apps and coming from the awful bberry app catalog I know I'm going to be using a lot of them. I had heard on the hero that it lagged up considerably with apps. Thoughts?

Thanks!
    11-16-09 12:08 PM
    Glad the thread helped Jedi
    11-16-09 03:07 PM
    I have the Eris and probably have about 25 apps loaded. Works great, still super fast and smooth. The battery life is fine if you charge your phone every night. No big deal for me, but then again I also have a charger at home, one at work, and always a car charger just in case (but I have done this with every phone). I like the Eris over the droid due to size and smoothness. The droid is a killer phone don't get me wrong, but I'm not a fan of the slider and I prefer the smaller phone. I have owned many phones with a flash and can't really tell you the last time I needed one, so no flash is fine for me. To each their own, but android has their stuff together when it comes to the overall smoothness of their OS.
    11-16-09 04:20 PM
    I have the Eris and probably have about 25 apps loaded. Works great, still super fast and smooth. The battery life is fine if you charge your phone every night. No big deal for me, but then again I also have a charger at home, one at work, and always a car charger just in case (but I have done this with every phone). I like the Eris over the droid due to size and smoothness. The droid is a killer phone don't get me wrong, but I'm not a fan of the slider and I prefer the smaller phone. I have owned many phones with a flash and can't really tell you the last time I needed one, so no flash is fine for me. To each their own, but android has their stuff together when it comes to the overall smoothness of their OS.

Thats exactly what I wanted to know. I charge my phone every night already and can charge when needed. As long as it runs smooth with a lot of apps its the phone for me. Thanks! Hopefully I'll be picking one up next week.
    11-16-09 04:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD