So, they are saying this may be the best smartphone to date.

Samsung Galaxy S II review -- Engadget
    04-28-11 01:27 PM
    I read that. I'm still trying to figure out if the screen is any better than the Charge's.
    04-28-11 01:29 PM
    It is the same screen. SAMOLED Plus 800x480. This device is 10x better than the Charge. The G2X and this device is in a league of their own, with the SGS2 being the leader by a nice amount. They said absolutely nothing phases this device.

For Engadget to say this device might be the best smartphone to date is really saying something. Especially when you consider their Apple bias. If this was called the iGalaxy S2 it might have received a 10 out of 10.
    04-28-11 01:38 PM
    I don't really trust engadgets reviews in general tbh... They rag some phones for the stupidest reasons possible and then praise the **** out of others that basically have the same problems they ragged on a previous phone for.

In other words their reviews tend to be insanely biased based on stuff that it shouldn't be...
    04-28-11 01:39 PM
    I don't really trust engadgets reviews in general tbh... They rag some phones for the stupidest reasons possible and then praise the **** out of others that basically have the same problems they ragged on a previous phone for.

In other words their reviews tend to be insanely biased based on stuff that it shouldn't be...
    This review seems pretty fair to me. They rag on the same stuff (lower pixel density, plastic build quality, and browser aliasing) but still give it a 9.
    04-28-11 01:41 PM
    This review seems pretty fair to me. They rag on the same stuff (lower pixel density, plastic build quality, and browser aliasing) but still give it a 9.
    the comment they had about browser aliasing has me wondering about the screen's "goodness". what good is it if browsing looks lousy? I wish they had provided some CLEAR, DETAILED pictures of what they meant by that.
    04-28-11 01:47 PM
    Also wish they'd stop using the quadrant scores in their reviews...
    04-28-11 01:48 PM
    It is the same screen. SAMOLED Plus 800x480. This device is 10x better than the Charge. The G2X and this device is in a league of their own, with the SGS2 being the leader by a nice amount. They said absolutely nothing phases this device.

For Engadget to say this device might be the best smartphone to date is really saying something. Especially when you consider their Apple bias. If this was called the iGalaxy S2 it might have received a 10 out of 10.
    Engadget is actually both Apple and Android.
    Same with Gizmodo.

BGR is Apple and Blackberry.
    04-28-11 01:52 PM
    Same with Gizmodo.

Ah, Apple banned Gizmodo.
    04-28-11 01:53 PM
    Also wish they'd stop using the quadrant scores in their reviews...
    That wont stop anytime soon. People seem to really think that apps hold merit when it doesn't. It can be fooled easily, and most of new devices used might not even be supported.

Same with Gizmodo.

Engadgets Apple bias is far greater than their Android bias. I don't remember any device within the last 2 years or so to score the same as the iPhone.
    04-28-11 01:58 PM
    damn pure sex...even with touchwiz
    04-28-11 02:00 PM
    damn pure sex...even with touchwiz
    hey, it's a PHONE--not JLo!
    04-28-11 02:03 PM
    That wont stop anytime soon. People seem to really think that apps hold merit when it doesn't. It can be fooled easily, and most of new devices used might not even be supported.

Engadgets Apple bias is far greater than their Android bias. I don't remember any device within the last 2 years or so to score the same as the iPhone.
    Yep, there are basically rom guides on "how to win at quadrant"...

And yeah Engadget is crazy Apple biased. That's also why you will not see them say that an Android phone is the best smartphone, they will only say it beats other Android phones.
    04-28-11 02:19 PM
    Yep, there are basically rom guides on "how to win at quadrant"...

And yeah Engadget is crazy Apple biased. That's also why you will not see them say that an Android phone is the best smartphone, they will only say it beats other Android phones.
    Yep. I had my DX scoring 2500 at one point, just by changing a simple line of text.

Yea they can't admit something is better than the iPhone, they just say it might be the best smartphone yet.

It's the best Android smartphone yet, but more importantly, it might well be the best smartphone, period
    04-28-11 02:32 PM
    I can't wait to get my grubby little paws on this phone. C'mon Verizon!
    04-28-11 03:10 PM
    I expect VZW to get the SGS2 last just like they did with the SGS. Especially since they just got the Charge and they are CDMA.
    04-28-11 03:12 PM
    I expect VZW to get the SGS2 last just like they did with the SGS. Especially since they just got the Charge and they are CDMA.
    Oh, yeah. I'm sure Samsung will be offering it to all the carriers, just like it's predecessor. The only question is, when? Though I am willing to wait.
    04-28-11 03:21 PM
    I'm guessing around the end of summer to early fall.

Another question is, will it have LTE?
    04-28-11 03:32 PM
    Phone looks good. I want to see the VZW version. I may get this instead of an HTC dual core phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-28-11 03:33 PM

That's what I'm thinking. I guessed August, in one of the other threads. I'm also thinking that it will be LTE.
    04-28-11 03:40 PM

Sadly, an lte version won't be amazingly thin.
    04-28-11 04:43 PM
    That's what I'm thinking. I guessed August, in one of the other threads. I'm also thinking that it will be LTE.
    Hopefully it is LTE. Otherwise, a refreshed version will come out just like the Charge with basically the same hardware months later.

Sadly, an lte version won't be amazingly thin.
    Yea that is true. Battery life will take a huge toll as well with these first gen chips.
    04-28-11 04:47 PM
    I don't get all this butthurt boo-hooing about people, reviewer or other, being biased toward any product. That's a bias to take into consideration, I'd say. When the pros have a preference it's time to shut-up and listen. I love a lot about Android, but don't kid myself in thinking it's better than iPhone. It's all dependent on what you value in your phone. For Android users it's freedom to customize and micro-manage processes/roms/etc. Personally it's about function, and I've never handeled an Android, rooted or otherwise, that was as smooth and seemless as any and every iPhone I've ever seen/handled/owned. Non-stop freezing and constant necessity to pull batteries and perform factory resets is just incompetence to the highest degree! I'm sure some iPhones have needed this, though none I've heard of or seen, but the number of Androids that do is just mind-boggling!

The things I love about iPhone (& BlackBerry) are that everything is proprietary. There are no third parties dipping their hands in and adding their own "skins" flare to it. Thus reducing the posibility for flaw. I like that everything is built to specifically house what was developed specifically for and by them. The more hands involved the more room for error.
    04-28-11 05:18 PM
    Don't particularly get what you mean...

First off, they aren't pros... Generally the reviewers know less than most of the people you can find on this forum or probably 70% of the people on XDA.

Also the comment about everything on BB being proprietary isn't true. You can "skin" a BB quite easily. The only exception is that you can't go in an skin all of the first party apps.

The android skins don't even really mess with the OEM launcher, they stack on an additional launcher + widgets on top of it... It would be like creating a new app that provides a new homescreen layout for BB. You could do it, because you aren't actually replacing the old one.
    04-28-11 05:33 PM
    I wouldn't doubt that, but they definitely know more than the average user and that's what those reviews are for.
    04-28-11 06:12 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD