The fad of all the apps will wear off. I returned my Curve2 after seeing all the apps my wife had on her new droid. After 3 weeks with my new Droid I returned it for the Storm 2. If you use the BB very much, you won't be happy with the Droid. It's not for the power user, it for someone who plays.
    Lol, another "Droid is a Toy" reference.
    12-21-09 09:13 AM
    Yep, that's all it was for me. It was fun to play on but couldn't keep up with what I needed it for. It's no where near a business ready device yet.
    12-21-09 09:25 AM
    The Droid is far from a toy that's why it bugs me when its compared to the iphone which is more of a toy in my humble opinion. I call the Droid "the complication tool" b/c its too complicated for the simple minded BB and iphone user alike. Once the brave have sought after everything the Droid has to offer, it flourishes with excellence degree of productivity.
    ^
    Learn about open source Linux then you will understand.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by noized77; 12-21-09 at 09:32 AM.
    12-21-09 09:28 AM
    I've never owned an iPhone (own an iTouch though) so I can't compare it to that.

My faults with the Droid...

Phone:
    Phone quality was worse than with my BBs. Occasionally had guys on the other end complain which they didn't do with prior devices and are not again now that I've returned the Droid.

PIM:
    Missing PIM features. Needs a native to-do list and memo pad (notes whatever). I downloaded every third party application made but they were worthless since they don't sync with anything. IMO, the core operating system needs to have standardized basic features that other software interacts with. Without it, there is no standardization.

Sync:
    If you use Google, your ok. If you use Lotus, Groupwise, etc, you're sunk. They need to improve the syncing of the device. Data need to be local, web access is not ok. To often I'm in locations with no web access and I need my data on my laptop at fingers reach.

Battery:
    Battery was dead by 1-2pm almost every day. Completely unacceptable.

Email:
    Email (other than Google) was slow. Email interface needs a lot of work and there is no way to delete from device and not the mailbox. Displaying of emails was nice and PC-like.

Software:
    Android crashed occasionally. Once it left my Droid useless. The radio was turned off and if I tried to turn it on the software would crash. I had to do a hard reset which left the phone "unauthorized" and unable to make or accept calls. WIFI worked, but not cell.

Touch screen:
    The damn thing kept answering the phone when in my pocket. It needs a more of an intentional way of answering calls. Mine picked up hundreds of phone calls while in my pocket before I could get it out.

Now I think the OS has a lot potential. I love Google and am extremely happy with what the future holds for the Android OS. It's just not there yet. I push everything I own to the limits. From my cars, to my computers, to my phones, they all get used hard. If you use a Droid hard, you'll find its faults. If you haven't found its faults, you aren't using it hard enough.

To me, the Droid is still a toy (a freaking cool one though). My wife still has hers and plays on it all the time. I've talked my brother into getting one and I'm sure he'll be ecstatic. For me, it needs to move into the big boy's world to be a real business device.

Unlike a lot of people who slam the Droid, I actually owned one and my wife still owns hers. I even returned my Curve 2 to get a Droid. There's a lot of things good about the device and I'll continue to recommend it to the right people. One day I hope to give it another shot.

I like that fact it is similar to Linux. I own several Linux web servers, deal with Irix machines daily, and have a machine at home running RedHat. I'm all about open source.
    Last edited by jnyost; 12-21-09 at 09:52 AM.
    12-21-09 09:50 AM
    I gave my Tour back to Verizon for the Droid, and I haven't looked back - not once. It's faster and don't have to deal with that trackball BS. It's not a perfect phone, at all, but it's much better than what I had for what I need it to do.
    Maybe RIM will come out with a Tour 2 with trackpad Basically like what they did w/ the Pearl 2.
    12-21-09 10:03 AM
    Maybe RIM will come out with a Tour 2 with trackpad Basically like what they did w/ the Pearl 2.
    Trackpad is nice!!!! I wish there was one on the Storm2.
    12-21-09 10:04 AM
    I've never owned an iPhone (own an iTouch though) so I can't compare it to that.

My faults with the Droid...

Phone:
    Phone quality was worse than with my BBs. Occasionally had guys on the other end complain which they didn't do with prior devices and are not again now that I've returned the Droid.

PIM:
    Missing PIM features. Needs a native to-do list and memo pad (notes whatever). I downloaded every third party application made but they were worthless since they don't sync with anything. IMO, the core operating system needs to have standardized basic features that other software interacts with. Without it, there is no standardization.

Sync:
    If you use Google, your ok. If you use Lotus, Groupwise, etc, you're sunk. They need to improve the syncing of the device. Data need to be local, web access is not ok. To often I'm in locations with no web access and I need my data on my laptop at fingers reach.

Battery:
    Battery was dead by 1-2pm almost every day. Completely unacceptable.

Email:
    Email (other than Google) was slow. Email interface needs a lot of work and there is no way to delete from device and not the mailbox. Displaying of emails was nice and PC-like.

Software:
    Android crashed occasionally. Once it left my Droid useless. The radio was turned off and if I tried to turn it on the software would crash. I had to do a hard reset which left the phone "unauthorized" and unable to make or accept calls. WIFI worked, but not cell.

Touch screen:
    The damn thing kept answering the phone when in my pocket. It needs a more of an intentional way of answering calls. Mine picked up hundreds of phone calls while in my pocket before I could get it out.

Now I think the OS has a lot potential. I love Google and am extremely happy with what the future holds for the Android OS. It's just not there yet. I push everything I own to the limits. From my cars, to my computers, to my phones, they all get used hard. If you use a Droid hard, you'll find its faults. If you haven't found its faults, you aren't using it hard enough.

To me, the Droid is still a toy (a freaking cool one though). My wife still has hers and plays on it all the time. I've talked my brother into getting one and I'm sure he'll be ecstatic. For me, it needs to move into the big boy's world to be a real business device.

Unlike a lot of people who slam the Droid, I actually owned one and my wife still owns hers. I even returned my Curve 2 to get a Droid. There's a lot of things good about the device and I'll continue to recommend it to the right people. One day I hope to give it another shot.

I like that fact it is similar to Linux. I own several Linux web servers, deal with Irix machines daily, and have a machine at home running RedHat. I'm all about open source.
    You had to have had a bad handset.

Never once have I had a complaint on call quality either way.

Your battery should not have been dying at 2PM. Mine lasts all day through med-heavy use on the internet, streaming music, text, email, calling.

Email and syncing I can agree with, but I never married myself to one particular program such as outlook, so I was ok for that sutff. But the email could use some work.

My Droids (got a replacement on 12/8 for something that was my fault) have been on since 11-6-09 and never once has crashed or rebooted or froze or anything.

I don't see how the screen was answering the calls in your pocket as the screen doesn't work unless it is skin touching it. Plus, it needs to slide to answer, I would say you definately had something wrong with your set, you can't even answer the thing with gloves on.

I agree with you it needs a little touch up to be what some people need, but you can't please everyone all the time.
    12-21-09 10:22 AM
    You had to have had a bad handset.

Never once have I had a complaint on call quality either way.

Your battery should not have been dying at 2PM. Mine lasts all day through med-heavy use on the internet, streaming music, text, email, calling.

Email and syncing I can agree with, but I never married myself to one particular program such as outlook, so I was ok for that sutff. But the email could use some work.

My Droids (got a replacement on 12/8 for something that was my fault) have been on since 11-6-09 and never once has crashed or rebooted or froze or anything.

I don't see how the screen was answering the calls in your pocket as the screen doesn't work unless it is skin touching it. Plus, it needs to slide to answer, I would say you definately had something wrong with your set, you can't even answer the thing with gloves on.

I agree with you it needs a little touch up to be what some people need, but you can't please everyone all the time.
    I had 2 handsets both with the same problems. I'm basically a tech support guy that also travels. It's not uncommon for me to be on the phone non stop. I often have several hundred minutes of phone usage by 1pm.

I agree, I never married myself to an application which is why it is very important for me to have good PIM basics on the device with some sync'ing software that talks to multiple clients. I have hundreds of notes on my BB in memopad. I can do without a notes/memo type of application. I've used that function since my early Palm days and cannot imaging a smartphone without those basic functions.

I'm not sure about the touch screen then because they both did it. Since the software would not auto lock after a call ended (I'd hang up with my BT) the phone would continue to do stuff while in my pocket. I also had no problems answering my phone with gloves. I use Mechanix gloves a lot and could operate basic functions with the gloves on.

The software has phenomenal potential. I love Google and believe this software will only get better with time. Google just doesn't dabble or half-*** anything. They put a lot of energy into everything. If they make the proper changes this can fit both business and consumer needs.
    12-21-09 10:58 AM
108 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD