Ok here we go. I'm an app junkie. seriously. I look constantly all day for new apps that work good on the droid. I've seen other people's lists and I wanted to share mine with everyone. Sorry for any typos. Just writing these reviews up real fast. I was supposed to create this list last weekend but ran out of time!

FOR ANY APP, just search for the underlined name in the market. I listed them exactly as they are listed in the market!

Section I - Apps.

Section II - Games.

Section III - Rooted Droid Apps.

ONE GREAT THING ABOUT THE MARKET IS YOU CAN INSTANTLY REFUND ANY PAID APP YOU DON'T LIKE BY GOING BACK INTO THE MARKET THEN VIEWING YOUR DOWNLOADS. SELECT THE APP AND HIT UNINSTALL + REFUND. I believe it allows up to 24 or 48 hours to refund.

Section I - Apps.

1. GDE - The new home experience! v0.1.9.7 Application for Android | Tools - Home screen replacement app. allows up to 7 home screens, you can select which home screen is default. has 4 different types of home screen transition effects. Standard, Cube Effect, Stretch Effect, Fade Effect. It also has sensor-based rotation. which means you can put the homescreen into landscape without having to open the keyboard. Also lets you customize 2 docked bottons on the home screen. Definitely the best UI so far for droid. One thing though, to use any other effect besides standard you have to use a generic wallpaper. I use the background from the next app I am listing.

2. Hero Theme for GDE v1.5 Application for Android | Themes - For those of you who love the SENSE UI on Hero or Eris this theme is for you and its Free. MUST HAVE GDE to make it run. I use one of the theme wallpapers it comes with and it works perfect with all the different transitions GDE has to offer.

3. Weather Widget - Donate v3.0 Application for Android | News & Weather - IMO the best Flip Clock / weather widget. Its much better than the Beautiful widgets one and uses less memory and uses less battery. Weather Widget Mimics the SENSE UI flip clock. it also has 4 other options for weather only widgets without the flip clock. The Clock and Weather Widgets are also SKINNABLE. Beautiful Widgets is NOT skinnable.

4. Weather Widget Forecast Addon v1.2.2 Application for Android | News & Weather - must have #3 installed for it to work. When you click on the weather widget, it gives you a full screen animated Weather screen + 3 additional day forecast. Awsome.

5. RemoteDroid - Without a doubt one of the coolest apps out there. And its VERY easy to set up. It allows you to control your mouse and your keyboard from your phone! You must have a wifi connection. It allows you to control your mouse and keyboard anywhere in your house/office as long as you have a good wifi connection. I tested it on the other side of the house and it was awsome. AND ITS FREEEEEEEE. Must download the server app to your PC/LAPTOP. Its free too. check it out.

6. Google Sky Map - Use your GPS + Compass to look into the sky. Basically you point your phone in the air and you can see the stars that are out there. Its hard to explain. So if look into the sky and see a set up stars, you can hold your phone up in that direction and your phone will tell you which stars/constellations they are. You can turn the phone at another set of stars and the app will follow.

7. Google Goggles - Use your camera to take a picture of something, and the app will scan your picture and try to identify it and look it up. NOT JUST BARCODES! I think that they should have released it in beta form cuz its not always accurate but its definetely an awsome concept. Can't wait till they perfect it. ie I took a picture of my Hennessey Bottle. lol. and it scanned the photo and found the item.

8. Handcent SMS (NEW) - Without a doubt, the best SMS/MMS App replacement. It can completely replace your messaging app. SUPER DUPER EXTREMELY CUSTOMIZABLE! You can basically customize everything you can think of in this app. A definite MUST HAVE. Also I sent out around 400 texts at once :P

9. Barcode Scanner - The name says it all. It works faster than google goggles for scanning barcodes. A def must have app also. Able to scan 2D barcodes as well so when people post 2D barcodes online, you can scan it from your phone and it will take you directly to the Market to the app.

10. DockRunner (DROID) - Simulates phone being docked in the docking station even if you don't have it!

11. Spare Parts - Allows you to access settings that are not found in the default setting menu. You can set actual speeds of transitions, versus just ON or OFF. And it has a few other settings.

12. MotoTorch LED - Flashlight widget. Just click it and it turns on your LED camera light. Click it again to turn it off. Also does strobe and morse code. Must have app.

13. VizBattery Widget - Simple 1 x 1 battery widget. Changes color when you battery starts going down and shows percentage. this uses very little memory and very little battery life compared to other battery widgets. Only sad thing is EVERY BATTERY WIDGET only shows in multiples of 10 till you get down to 15. Its the same as when you go to "about" > "status" So far no one has been able to figure out how to get a real accurate percentage.

14. ShopSavvy - Similar to barcode scanner except this is more made for products only. It shows you local stores that has the item.

15. PicSay - Photo Editor - Easy to use photo editor on your phone. ALSO HAS MULTITOUCH Enabled!

16. Pure Messenger Widget - Best so far Messenger widget. It can display SMS, GMAIL, POP3 EMAILS, TWITTER, and FACEBOOK. Also has this experimental feature which seems to be working, allows you to preview the item on your home screen versus having to have to open the app which it is referring too. I have set up 2 seperate widgets, 1 for SMS and 1 for GMAIL. Its also skinnable.

17. Pure Grid Calender Widget - Best Calender Widget so far. shows FULL calender in a widget. Also skinnable.

18. Reality Browser 3.0 - Look through the camera of your droid and see digital information displayed on top of it. many cool features.

19. Hi AIM Beta - AIM App. works great.

20. Bloo - Facebook 1.4.3c Beta - Facebook replacement.

21. EStrongs Task manager - Ok this allows you to easily force close any open app. It also remembers what you closed last time. I generally would not recommend apps that help you kill tasks because people do not know what they are doing when they do it. NEVER EVER use a "KILL ALL" function in ANY TASK KILLER! You have been warned! this causes major unstability in your phone and could damage your OS because it closes necessary functions for the phone to operate. Thankfully this app does not have a "kill all" function. ONLY CLOSE APPS you have opened yourself. Never close anything else. 90% of the time Android OS redirects memory anyway so you don't really need to kill tasks. you only need to kill them if its a 3rd party app that won't close. ie: a game.

Section II - Games.

Everyone has their own taste in games so I'm gonna keep this short. I am addicted to Tower Defense games, just FYI lol. Most of these apps have FREE demo versions. Tower defense games can help you kill HOURS and HOURS of time. Seriously. lol

1. Spiral Defense
    2. Void Defense
    3. Robo Defense
    4. Trap!
    5. Solitaire
    6. Bazooka Rabbit
    7. Retro Defense
    8. Frozen Bubble
    9. ProjectInf
    10. m:Vampire (RPG GAME)

Section III - Rooted Droid Apps.

Ok now I keep reading different forums that tell you to download TERMINAL APPS. Terminal apps are apps that allow you to access linux command line in your android software. Sorta like DOS. But its a pain in the *** to type it all out plus knowing all the commands.

As for me, I'm not linux savvy at all. I found a great app that has a GUI interface like a file manger but it has super user accessability. You don't need to know any linux commands if you have this program. Its sorta like an ALL-IN-ONE File manager for rooted android phones and it works great for the droid.

I was able to delete all the pre-installed software with no damage to my phone. But please be careful what you delete. if you are not sure, look it up first or don't delete it.

SU File manager & Terminal

This is a must have app if you have a rooted droid.

We are all still waiting for the app to overclock the droid. so far no app can access that function (yet...) But the manufacturer of the processor boasts the droid processor can be overclocked to 1Ghz and still be stable, but it will just eat up your battery. If and when this is avail, definitely buy a 2nd battery.
    Last edited by x1208x; 12-17-09 at 07:11 PM.
    12-13-09 10:40 PM
    Just FYI I am no android expert. I have been a crackberry junkie for YEARS and thats why I am posting this here. Any indepth questions I will try my best to answer. and also, I have all these apps installed on my droid. Still have PLENTY of memory left, RAM and ROM. unlike my storm where I could only have a few apps installed before my memory was gone.
    12-13-09 10:47 PM
    I hear GDE doesn't support the droid's resolution yet. I want GDE but i can't have it look like **** if it doesn't support its res right now.

So Home++ I stay until i hear otherwise
    12-13-09 10:49 PM
    I hear GDE doesn't support the droid's resolution yet. I want GDE but i can't have it look like **** if it doesn't support its res right now.

So Home++ I stay until i hear otherwise
    whoever said that is incorrect. Try it for yourself. I would not listed it if it was crappy. trust me. lol. Oh also, GDE Comes with a slider widget that you can put ANY app on the slider, not just a selection from a few "most used apps" like home++

Trust me, I tried every home screen replacement. It was one of the first things i did.
    12-13-09 10:55 PM
    whoever said that is incorrect. Try it for yourself. I would not listed it if it was crappy. trust me. lol. Oh also, GDE Comes with a slider widget that you can put ANY app on the slider, not just a selection from a few "most used apps" like home++

Trust me, I tried every home screen replacement. It was one of the first things i did.
    thats all i needed to hear. ill do it now...that bottom slider pisses me off lol
    12-13-09 10:56 PM
    thats all i needed to hear. ill do it now...that bottom slider pisses me off lol
    yeah he has a great concept going there, but why is the clock in the home++ slider? and the notifications down there is a pain in the ****. I know you can unhide the top notification bar, but then you have double of the time notification bar.

If you don't like the GDE home replacement you can always refund it immediately too. And its still MUCH MUCH cheaper than themes for the storm. lol.

Oh yeah, once you install the GDE. The wallpapers are tricky. I highly recommend downloading the HERO Theme for GDE and using the green and black wallpaper there if you plan to use the cube effect or any others. if you use the default transitions, you can use any wallpaper.
    Last edited by x1208x; 12-13-09 at 11:02 PM.
    12-13-09 11:00 PM
    hero theme or white hero?
    12-13-09 11:02 PM
    the regular hero theme. The white one doesn't have the black and green wallpaper. plus darker wallpapers + darker theme = more battery life
    Last edited by x1208x; 12-13-09 at 11:20 PM.
    12-13-09 11:12 PM
    the regular hero theme
    i didn't see that. when i search hero gde on the market i only got hero and white hero theme should be all good i like the way it looks

i would like the notification bar be able to be hidden like home++ though </3
    12-13-09 11:18 PM
    hero theme for GDE is the regular hero theme. sorry for any confusion. the white hero theme doesn't have a compatible wall paper for the other transition effects. Any apps I listed above is the exact name of the app listed in the market.
    12-13-09 11:58 PM
    I will agree whole heartedly that GDE is the best Home Replacement app. Im having FC occasionally, but its okay... due to how amazing it is.

The App Dock Slider... amazing
    Amount of Screens... amazing
    Transitions... amazing
    Options... amazing
    Auto Rotate...amazing

Worth a couple of bucks.

Btw. I had the Hero as well for the longest time. Until I tried Obsidian black something. lol.
    12-14-09 12:29 AM
    I will agree whole heartedly that GDE is the best Home Replacement app. Im having FC occasionally, but its okay... due to how amazing it is.

The App Dock Slider... amazing
    Amount of Screens... amazing
    Transitions... amazing
    Options... amazing
    Auto Rotate...amazing

Worth a couple of bucks.

Btw. I had the Hero as well for the longest time. Until I tried Obsidian black something. lol.
    Obsidian is an awesome GDE skin, it is definitely my favorite.
    12-14-09 12:37 AM
    What's the best twitter app? Going to an eris from a tour on wednesday

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-14-09 02:51 AM
    Rooted apps:
    Ad Free blocks ads
    Utilities: Phone tools from moto allows you to access the phone through WiFi via you web browser
    Apps:
    Key ring dump your reward cards on the phone
    Lookout AV and Backup
    Screebl Lite keeps screen on when using phone for browsing
    Awake Stay Keeps from from locking all the time

More to come
    12-14-09 07:19 AM
    Rooted apps:
    Ad Free blocks ads
    Utilities: Phone tools from moto allows you to access the phone through WiFi via you web browser
    Apps:
    Key ring dump your reward cards on the phone
    Lookout AV and Backup
    Screebl Lite keeps screen on when using phone for browsing
    Awake Stay Keeps from from locking all the time

More to come
    I was going to list ad free but for some reason it won't update the data base. I get an error and it closes.

Screen mode widget is similar to stay awake. I was going to list that too but the widget isn't spaced correctly but works nice. Has a stay awake function so screen lock does not come on, and also has a stay on function. All 1 button press in the widget.

Also that obsidian theme is super nice. Liking it better than the hero theme.

12-14-09 01:00 PM
    What's the best twitter app? Going to an eris from a tour on wednesday

You are in luck if you are going to buy the eris. Htc makes the best widgets for everything useful and they are all preinstalled. Best ui out of any os. There are tons of twitter apps. Its probably going to be based on what your preference is. I think the eris has a preinstalled twitter app but I'm not positive. I'm not a big twitter person.

12-14-09 01:06 PM
    So if I get my Android in January, how many of those apps should I actually download before my memory is gone? LOL

Also, I have another question about the Droid. On my storm, I can't save apps on my SD card, I'm guessing on the Droid you can only save apps on the internal memory am I correct?

(is there any memory drain with the droid, I have a lot on my storm)
    12-14-09 01:31 PM
    So if I get my Android in January, how many of those apps should I actually download before my memory is gone? LOL

Also, I have another question about the Droid. On my storm, I can't save apps on my SD card, I'm guessing on the Droid you can only save apps on the internal memory am I correct?

Downloading all of those apps will bring you no where near having no memory left.

As of right now, you cannot install apps on the SD card. You can when you have a rooted phone, although I am not sure if anyone has done it successfully on a rooted Droid yet. But, Google is supposed to be developing a way to do this so you don't need to have your phone rooted.

Also, Android does an excellent job with memory management. All the memory leak worries you have with a BlackBerry seem to be non existent with an Android phone.
    12-14-09 01:41 PM
    Downloading all of those apps will bring you no where near having no memory left.

As of right now, you cannot install apps on the SD card. You can when you have a rooted phone, although I am not sure if anyone has done it successfully on a rooted Droid yet. But, Google is supposed to be developing a way to do this so you don't need to have your phone rooted.

Also, Android does an excellent job with memory management. All the memory leak worries you have with a BlackBerry seem to be non existent with an Android phone.
    Thank you!

The apps on the SD wasn't a huge concern for me since there is a lot of app memory anyway. I'm just curious about how I'm gonna get used to that phone, seems like there are so many things to it (which I like, I won't get bored with it) the BB is so simple it got kind of boring now.
    12-14-09 02:26 PM

ummm you couldn't be more incorrect. I have all those apps plus MORE installed on my phone. I have right now 166 MB of internal ROM Free.

So i am using about 100 megs between the OS and the third party apps.

Keep in mind, Android phones have ROM and RAM unlike blackberries which used shared RAM for ROM for OS and applications.

So yes, you can have all these apps plus many many more. Theoretically, I could install another 60 apps on my phone and still have around 10 megs left.
    Last edited by x1208x; 12-14-09 at 02:37 PM.
    12-14-09 02:34 PM

almost most of the apps I listed do not use that much ram. thats why i recommended them. GDE is the highest RAM usage app there because its a home screen UI replacement, but it does not leak any memory.
    12-14-09 02:38 PM
    ummm you couldn't be more incorrect. I have all those apps plus MORE installed on my phone. I have right now 166 MB of internal ROM Free.

Keep in mind, Android phones have ROM and RAM unlike blackberries which used shared RAM for ROM for OS and applications.

So yes, you can have all these apps plus many many more. Theoretically, I could install another 60 apps on my phone and still have around 10 megs left.
    Blaqk is saying the same thing you are. Downloading all of these won't bring me anywhere near having no memory.

But thank you for the additional info. I was thinking about getting the iphone in January when I can switch, but idk I don't want to have a phone that everyone already has and I love the Android look (except that keyboard!)
    12-14-09 02:41 PM
    almost most of the apps I listed do not use that much ram. thats why i recommended them. GDE is the highest RAM usage app there because its a home screen UI replacement, but it does not leak any memory.
    Yea I checked out youtube videos of it right after I saw this topic, looks nice!
    12-14-09 02:41 PM

The first sentence I said was saying that you can have all those apps and many more.
    12-14-09 02:43 PM
    The first sentence I said was saying that you can have all those apps and many more.
    LOL ok your wording was more complicated than necessary. easily misread- sorry
    12-14-09 02:46 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD