i suggested earlier, get meebo, it is sort of like beejive or trillain, all in one messenger client....you can login to aim, yahoo, etc, all in one app.
    11-10-09 09:33 AM
    People I know don't want to be bothered making a google account. Bbm is much better than simple texting.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    You have to make one just to use the Android marketplace anyways.
    11-10-09 10:22 AM
    Sorry but that's a lame reason to not get the Droid. Just because of BBM?
    11-10-09 10:27 AM
    why would the driod have anything like bbm? its not a bb. maybe one day it will have dm(droid messanger)
    11-10-09 10:29 AM
    So I tried downloading G-talk onto my gf's verizon curve and it told me it was not a supported device. WTF?
    11-10-09 11:15 AM
    I have been an avid BB user for years, and still don't understand why people are so attached to BBM. Sure its nice, but there are many ways to chat with ppl on your data plan over IM, and unlimited text messaging is what $10? Its not hard to use another form of messaging.

Limiting yourself to only talking to those with BB's is intriguing in and of itself.
    11-10-09 11:20 AM
    BBM works throught RIM servers and messages and pics are sent instantly, thats why its superior over SMS and MMS which work over cellular networks

11-10-09 11:22 AM
    But it also limits you to BB users where other types of messaging can breach any phone carrier and maker (for the most part). I can deal with not getting an instant picture on my phone, and it shouldn't be a deal breaker unless every single person you know and ever will know has a BB lol.
    11-10-09 11:28 AM
    BBM works throught RIM servers and messages and pics are sent instantly, thats why its superior over SMS and MMS which work over cellular networks

BBM still goes through your cell carrier's stuff too it doesn't go any faster in my experience at all. Google chatting or MMS/SMS is just as fast.
    11-10-09 12:01 PM

Lol. And how does it get to RIM's servers?

The ethernet cord in the bottom of your phone?
    11-10-09 12:10 PM
    So I tried downloading G-talk onto my gf's verizon curve and it told me it was not a supported device. WTF?
    BlackBerry - Google Talk

That's the very link I sent to my g/f on AT&T running an 8300 I believe. Either that or 8310. Her and I chat regularly b/t my Droid and her Curve, so I know it's available as an option .

Good luck getting it to work!
    11-10-09 12:12 PM

Going thru Rims servers are just another hop and another place something could go wrong such as when their servers are down.
    11-10-09 01:14 PM
    Going thru Rims servers are just another hop and another place something could go wrong such as when their servers are down.
    Which has been often over the past 4 months. In fact, I'm not sure my verizon sms has been down once in the past 4-5 months while BBM gave us what, about a week of problems?
    11-10-09 03:30 PM
    Which has been often over the past 4 months. In fact, I'm not sure my verizon sms has been down once in the past 4-5 months while BBM gave us what, about a week of problems?
    Not to mention, on CDMA, you can't receive BBMs if you are on the phone but you can receive text messages. I'd say thats a huge plus for SMS over BBM.

AND, ever since moving to 5.0, EVERYTHING is THREADED so I honestly don't even think about which protocol I'm using. They actually made it easier for people to leave when they threaded sms. IMO
    11-10-09 11:32 PM
    I wonder if RIM knew just how important BBM would be to the Blackberry user. Always on, always instant. I know every time I contemplate another phone, the BBM loss is a deal breaker.
    11-11-09 07:35 AM
    BBM is a HUGE factor for me right now as I've been a DIE HARD BB guy for the past 5 years who is thinking about going to the Droid. Using my bb, I can fly around my phone jumping in and out of applications using shortcuts without even thinking about it. But the hardest thing I'll have to give up will be the BB Messenger!

The group chats are just ridiculous when you have a bunch of friends all around the country watching a football game.

Is there a group chat capability with Gchat? Even if there is, I don't believe I would be able to get all my BB friends to start using that religiously.

My point is (finally) that BB messenger is huge for people that truly appreciate the easy peasy flexibility that it provides.

If I go Droid, I know I'd be gaining a bunch, but I will be giving up one very cool feature.
    02-01-10 10:58 AM
    Yeah, I know how difficult that broadcast bbm can be.
    Yup. Broadcast that you're switching. One simple message with your Google Talk s/n. End of story.

Anyway, I use Google Talk with some friends that don't use BB, works just as good for me.

02-01-10 11:08 AM
    It would be great if there was an Android Messenger. When I switched from the BB Tour to the Samsung Moment I just sent out a broadcast saying I wouldn't have BBM anymore and left my GT screen name. I had a good amount of people add me.
    02-02-10 12:30 PM
    I've used nothing but blackberry for 4 years, and I use bbm quite a bit. Even though i agree it's the best mobile instant messaging service ever, this one feature isn't enough to keep me from moving away from the disaster bb os. My tour is much more stable and less frustrating with .419 on it, but I'm still looking forward to switching to Android OS. I already sent out a bbm broadcast saying i'm going to not be using a blackberry anymore, and one of the first messages i got back was an offer to buy my tour! BBM is awesome, but with sms, GTalk, AIM, LIVE, YAHOO, and the zillion other chat platforms, you'll find a way to keep in touch with people.
    02-02-10 01:42 PM
    That's the one thing that BB users can claim superiority with. "I would leave, but no other phone has bbm." Please!
    I know that it sounds odd considering how much more amazing the driods and iphone are, but it really is a huge consideration in going from a blackberry to a new phone. After communciating with friends and my boyfriend on the bbm its really super annoying to go back to deleting piles of incoming and outgoing sms or mms messages.

Seems like it wouldnt be too hard to throw a messenger that is similar to bbm on some droids.
    03-07-11 03:25 PM
    liveprofile anyone?????
    03-09-11 12:05 PM
    I don't ever use bbm so don't care about it but I still like my bb. Maybe upgrade time it'll be something different.
    03-09-11 01:00 PM
    I do have to say I miss BBM Groups.

But, yes, Android (Google) has Messenger (Google Talk). It's just not BBM.

There are plenty of cross-platform apps you can use: PingChat and WhatsApp already have BlackBerry versions. LiveProfile is probably better, and their BlackBerry app will be out soon. Kik works really wewll on Android - too bad it is no longer available for BlackBerry.

The nice thing about LiveProfile is that it has the S/D/R confirmations, and can send pics and files (not just pics). They said they will be working on adding group chat in the near future.

Other than those apps, there are all the standard IM apps: Google Talk, Yahoo Messenger, AIM, MSN, even Facebook Chat. I use Trillian to connect to most of those (although the native GT app is always connected).

Point being, there are plenty of communication methods outside of BBM to be able to keep in contact with others. Hopefully, there will be some more cross-platform group chat options as well.
    03-09-11 03:24 PM
    there's google talk, msn or yahoo messenger
    and there's already news that bbm would be possible on a droid within this year
    03-09-11 10:22 PM
    I use gtalk or whatsapp. I have ppl from bb and iphone and it works great! You can share files, videos, voice notes etc. I switched awhile back to Android and I will never go back to bb.
    03-09-11 11:45 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD