1 - Anyone who has corporate mail and is not using exchange is a moron.
    2 - You do realize that using BIS to poll and push is EXACTLY the same as using Gmail to poll and push? Separate folder, configurable filters, even sets up the same flucking way. The difference is that Gmail admits this is what they do, and RIM says nothing and gives you a button to push so you think you're getting the same services and security that they use in the White House. That and Google has about 8000% more bandwidth dedicated to email than RIM does, and its initial polling check is 2 minutes faster. Simply put, email is another area where RIM is starting to fall behind.

This deal with "android is toy cuz mah mail is no gud" is getting old. If you're too stupid to set it up correctly, you don't deserve to read your mail and I hope it causes you to lose money. Less stupid people with smart phones is a good thing. Take a hint from the OP. If you do not know, you ask. You don't assume, then cry because you flucked it all up. Thats how these stupid rumors get started.

OP - It will work just fine. Set up your ISP pop mail and you can have the device check every 5, 10, 15, 25, 30, 60, 120, minutes etc. Any different answer you get here is coming from a moron or a troll. Unless the acct is from Yahoo, an android device will check the same as a BB, or can check by itself without a 3rd party intercepting your mail like RIM does. Choice is yours. If you use Yahoo, you either pay RIM for BIS and they subsidize it, or you pay Yahoo directly. Or you can set your Yahoo acct up using IMAP settings and have 2 way sync for FREE.
    11-20-09 11:00 PM
    Thanks gbhil. that's sorta what I thought, but then I heard you had to do the whole gmail account thing and run your POP through that bla bla. KISS is my motto, I've lived this long without gmail/googlesynch whatever. It may be the greatest thing since forever but I'm fine right here. Most email I get I don't want anyway. Nobody ever sends me money lol
    11-21-09 01:45 PM
    gbhil is correct in all he says.

I just want to add that you should do yourself a favor and checkout K9-Mail.

It's a free app that just blows the doors off the stock email client on the Droid. I just started using it today, and without going into detial you can find in the app, lets just say it is the email client that should have been the stock app.

Probably the most important thing between the two is the stock email app won't forward attachments. Oh yeah, you heard that right! Dumb as it seems, it's true.

K9-Mail does that and more. It's as good as any computer based email client out there except the big boys for corporate use.

Check it out. You won't regret it.

Don
    11-21-09 02:00 PM
    Yes, you can use POP and IMAP type, as well as Exchange, email accounts with the Droid. You will need to know, of course, the incoming and outgoing server addresses- which your provider can 'provide'. Typically you can also simply open up your email on your computer, go to preferences and find out what these server names are. Some email/out going servers also use a security type and not the Droid's default name/password (taken from the incoming sever user name and password that you previously entered in the Droid email setup). If so, you need to know that security type, unclick the use of username & password and select the correct security (eg SSL) type from the pull down menu. Droid walks you through this.

One that Droid doesn't seem to have, that BlackBerry does have, is an icon which one can click on that shows all the email and txt that has come in. I have an email icon for my gmail, an email icon for my embarqmail and an email incon for my university email (which I have as a IMAP, but could have switched to Exchange if I wanted). I have to click on each one to see what email might have come in. And there is a separate icon for checking text messages. I find this to be a grand pain, while Blackberry has a sum-icon which shows everything that has come in. So I went ahead and in Embarqmail and in my univeristy mail, set it up for email to be forwarded to my gmail (but to keep the emails on both servers). So now all the email that get sent to any of these email addresses but others, or is sent to any of these email addresses by me from my COMPUTER, ends up in my Gmail email icon. BUT, be warned, if I send an email from my Droid, and copy it to the embarqmail or University email address, somehow the Droid knows this and it does not get forwarded to the gmail email on the droid (though it does end up in the gmail email on my computer). Yeah, weird and troublesome because I can't depend on just looking at my gmail account to find 'everything'. Perhaps if I deleted my Droid accounts/incons for the embarqmail and university email accounts, the Droid would put everything into the droid gmail. But I sometimes need to have my email 'come from' the embarqmail or the university email address- so I need those email accounts on the Droid.

The Droid does have some email bugs. Like not forwarding attachments (gee, seems like a basic operation that they should have figured out). I also have found that when I forward an email from my droid, it deletes the original email and replaces it with a copy of the forwarded email. And (ARGH) the forwarded email very often doesn't have the actual content of the original email that I was trying to forward- just the new text that one enters in the forward message (though if you look at the forwarded email on your computer, there is text which says something like "click here to read text"- and when you do you see the original email that you were trying to forward.

... liking a lot about my Droid, but not the email... If you are email intensive, I would stay with the BBerry for another year until/if Droid provides some software fixes/updates...

ps: wrt the argument that one should just change all one's accounts to gmail because sooner or later you are going to change providers and hence loose your email address. Appealing arguement in the abstract, but not, at least, in my reality. I have a university email associated with my work, and have over 30 years of 'recognition' to that email in my research field from collaborators (and I'll be able to keep this address even after I retire or change jobs). Also, having a university address sometimes opens doors/gives you credibility with industry, vendors and gov agencies that you are for real. And the same goes with the Embarqmail address- been using that for non-university stuff for25 years and there is a lot of name recognition/history. If there were things I could do with the gmail account that I couldn't do with my other two accounts, then I could see consolidating to the gmail. But I can enter all these accounts in droid just as I previously did with my BBerry. I again see no reason to change to all gmail.

ART
    11-28-09 01:43 PM
    Could you add a bit more detail here wrt K9-Mail? I am two days into Droid and already don't like how it forwards email (deletes the forwarded email and typically doesn't actually pass on the forwarded content) and doesn't forward attachments. If I download and install K9-Mail, do I still need to leave the Droid's Gmail account intact, or did you remove it?

thanks,
    ART

[QUOTE=dtrust;4144267]gbhil is correct in all he says.

I just want to add that you should do yourself a favor and checkout K9-Mail.

It's a free app that just blows the doors off the stock email client on the Droid. I just started using it today, and without going into detial you can find in the app, lets just say it is the email client that should have been the stock app.
    11-28-09 01:51 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD