Forgive me ignorance lol, never had an android...

But do manufacturers update the UI "skin" for existing devices as they progress?

Specifically, if I bought an HTC DNA from Verizon, which now uses Sense 4+ I think... and then HTC releases Sense 5 with it's new M7 model... would my DNA ever be updated to Sense 5 at some point?

I realize Android versions are "pushed" out as updates now and then, just not sure about UI skins... ?
    02-15-13 11:47 AM
    Probably be best you go ask that in Android Central.
    02-15-13 11:50 AM
    They do, though in my experience, it would usually follow a major OS release.

Outside of an OTA, a custom ROM is the only other option.
    02-15-13 11:58 AM
    If it's just the UI you want to change, there's a lot of home launchers on the play store and many are actually better than the skin your manufacturer put on it. And you can change them whenever you want, no need to mess around with rooting or ROMs
    02-15-13 02:55 PM
    If it's just the UI you want to change, there's a lot of home launchers on the play store and many are actually better than the skin your manufacturer put on it. And you can change them whenever you want, no need to mess around with rooting or ROMs
    Oh I didn't know! I figured the UI was kinda locked into the phone, and you had to "root" it or whatever to change that.

I don't mind Sense that much overall, but I hate it's Task Switcher... the screen that shows running tasks in a carousel kinda thing you flip through sideways one at a time. I much prefer the standard up/down list of tasks that you swipe sideways to clear. I was afraid I'd be stuck with the Sense carousel... but you're saying I can just download a "launcher" to replace all that stuff?
    02-15-13 03:05 PM
    Oh I didn't know! I figured the UI was kinda locked into the phone, and you had to "root" it or whatever to change that.

I don't mind Sense that much overall, but I hate it's Task Switcher... the screen that shows running tasks in a carousel kinda thing you flip through sideways one at a time. I much prefer the standard up/down list of tasks that you swipe sideways to clear. I was afraid I'd be stuck with the Sense carousel... but you're saying I can just download a "launcher" to replace all that stuff?
    He is right... you could use a Launcher to replicate some Sense features, and get rid of others. Check out Nova, ADW, Circle, Launcherpro etc.

Sense will still be there, just not activated for use as launcher.
    02-15-13 03:16 PM