Did you convert from a BB to Android?

What do you like?

What do you not like?

How do you live without messenger?

How is the email performance compared to the BB?

How are the "profiles" compared to the BB? This is something I have not been able to find.
    02-14-10 04:27 PM

How are the "profiles" compared to the BB? This is something I have not been able to find.
    There's an app called Quick Profiles. There are no templates that come with the app but once you get it figured out, you won't even miss the BB profiles. It has its shortcomings but really can't complain about free.
    02-14-10 04:42 PM
    So it takes a app to manage profiles? How does it handle mulitple email accounts, SMS, MMS, and etc?
    02-14-10 06:06 PM
    I loved my storm. The Droid has replaced it in every aspect but one. I can't get a different vibrate pattern for emails. Quick profiles is an app but it does thne droid handles apps sp much better, it does not matter.

Pros:
    **I love the market. So much nicer than the BB market.
    **App support is a lot better
    **Browser. I loved the Storm with Opera but the browser on the droid is better.
    **No reboots even though I did not have a huge issue on the BB
    ** Screen is nicer but I have to keep the brightness down to conserve battery.

Cons:
    **BB had better notification options(vibe patterns) on all notificatons(email, sms & mms)
    **I liked to be able to push the screen to bring the phone out of sleep. The droid has the little button on the top
    ** The BB screen is easier to see in sunlight.

Emails are not an issue either. yahoo is a little slower but my exchange mail is 10x better/faster and cost a lot less

Sound Profile will handle your defaults. Each app(sms/mms, email, weather, exchange, etc. have to have their notifications set with in the app. This takes a little getting used too but is not a big deal.

I was really hesitant to leave the BB. I had my BB setup perfectly but I wanted more and the memory was full. I will have to get the Storm back out in a few months as I have to go over seas. That will be tough
    02-14-10 07:16 PM
    I just switched today. So far so good. I love the screen and the browser. I switched from the 9700 Bold to the Sprint Hero. I really like the device. They've really done a food job integrating some things into the IS that are really helpful. I like that I can go to one name and see all of the various ways that person and I keep in contact. That's pretty cool. I love Google Sync on this device. I could never quite het it to work correctly only blackberry. I do miss the auto text feature. This has predictive text but it Isnt the same thing. Typing is taking some getting used to, but other than that the phone has been great so far. I havent been able to test battery life yet, will let you know how my first work day goes.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-15-10 02:58 AM
    I just switched after hesitating between the T-Mobile Blackberry 8900 and the MT3G Fender Limited Edition and I decided for the MT3G. I am thrilled it does so much...I was looking for a phone that I can connect to the web browse without any problems and I found it. What I miss from my BB8900 is the BBM. Because most of my closest friends and family have BBM. I do miss also the keyboard that's the only con for the android I am having a hard time with the virtual keyboard, it's very frustrating when you want to send a quick text and your letters just don't work. But like everyone has told me I'll get use to it in time. Also the speed connecting on the android is impressive and I don't need to reboot and pull out the battery all the time. I can't say that that I'll will never come back to BB but if they make a phone to match I would.
    02-15-10 07:07 AM
    Ive tried to make the switch twice but I have come back to my S2 both times. Here is a quick breakdown of my observations;

Droid likes;
    -The screen. Oh the screen!! It is so amazing its not even funny. Everything looks incredible.
    -Widgets. Love the widgets. Being able to set up my phone to show me the information I want is a great feature. The droid needs the 2.1 update though so you can get 5 screens. Not interested in 3rd party apps as every post I read about them seems to involve problems (lag, crashes ect).
    -The browser. Excellent browser. Really like the visual thumbnails and tabbed browsing. It is fast and renders pages very nicely. Its right up there with the Safari browser on the Iphone.
    -Google navigation
    -Android Market
    -How apps are handled. So much better not to have to reset your phone everytime you delete an app. Makes trying and deleting apps so much easier it encourages you to see what apps are out there.
    -Notifications draw

Droid Dislikes:
    -Hardware keyboard is horrible. To me this is one of the main reasons I returned it. Just doesnt make sense to carry around a 6 oz phone for the sole purpose of having a physical keyboard that I will never use. Additionally, the gap between the two piece of the phone would depress when I would use the screen which became annoying.
    -Seperate inboxes for Gmail and everything else.
    -Seperate calandars for corp email and everything else
    -slide to unlock.
    -lack of custom notifications. One of the best aspects of a bb is the fact that I can set differnt vibrate patterns for different notifications. means that I know what is going on without having to phyiscally look at my device.
    -Email is a bit wonky. I would consistently get notifications of AOL email's coming in and then when I went to the inbox there would be none there.
    -Lack of voice dialing over BT.
    -No dedicated desk top media syncing software.
    -No BBM (Yeah I know, not really fair).

With all of this said, I really do like Android and I will certainly be giving the nexus one a try once it is released for Verizon.
    02-15-10 07:19 AM
    I think everyone on this forum went from a BlackBerry to an Android device. I still have my Bold 9700, but mostly use Nexus One.

Pros:
    - The browser on Nexus One is awesome. There is just no comparison at all to that of BlackBerry browser.
    - The Market. A whooooooooooooole lot of applications that are free or just $0.99, unlike BlackBerry App World where (almost) everything is $3.99 or more.
    - The search bar. Love this thing. Easy to search from the main screen for anything. Search for contacts, apps, dictionary, notes, password protector, pictures, videos, google search, all from the main screen. I hope that RIM has that in their next OS.

Cons:
    - Email notification. I hate it, just effin hate it, when I get multiple emails on multiple email accounts, and I go into one and read the emails and the email notification disappears. So I assume that I don't have new emails on my other accounts. Four hours later I accidetally check the other accounts and bam 97 emails that I missed. I wish the email notification would just stay there until all the emails are read.
    - Can't see sh*t while outdoors. I have to move the screen in different postion just to see what time it is.
    - Trackball. Why would they put that trackball on there? I haven't used it once since I bought this phone.
    - Custom notifications.
    - Need app for everything. I litterally had to install an app for: notes, password protector, tasks, lock the screen, owner info.
    - Battery life.
    - No BBM.
    02-15-10 07:54 AM
    Too funny, I desperately "wish" they'd have put a trac-pad on the Droid. I'll figure you must not need to edit text very often? Editing text is miserable on the Droid, trying to tap the screen and get the curser where you want it is just nuts. They should give you points when you actually nail it and make text editing a game...

Anyways, I cam from RIM/BB and am pretty darn happy with the Google. The Droid is many times the phone that the BB's were.

-I do dearly miss the aggregated mailbox/SMS/IMs
    -Email is iffy, and when someone makes a REALLLY good email program, it will be awesome. K9 is pretty close to great, but not yet.
    -I DEARLY miss the Chicklet keyboard and ease of text editing.
    -Physical keyboard on Droid is nothing short of terrible.
    -Droid battery is not so great. I bought extended and am pretty happy.
    -No official Yahoo IM, just a matter of time I think. At least AIM got on board with their official app.
    -Screen is hard to see in sunlight and if it's really cold and your hands are froze, it's hard to work the screen
    -No Blue Tooth dialing yet.
    -Did I mention text editing when in a hurry is insane?

-Browser is beyond steller.
    -G-Maps is just stellar as well.
    -GPS is beyond great
    -Fast as you could want.
    -Tons of apps and if you sort through the trash, there are tons of great ones.
    -Infinite customization
    -OS is very stable and no more battery pulls, memory leaks, or choking on websites.
    -No truncated emails!!!!
    -I know I'm missing a lot. I can only say I'm really happy overall.

Yeah, app for everything, but that allows for infinite customization. 10 apps that do the same thing all have special things unique to the app. Finding the "one" that fits your needs perfectly is awesome.

I was VERY worried and almost sick going to Android. But, after researching and checking it all out, I drank the Google-Aid and assimilated. Hard to give the Google all your everything, and sorta scaery they are so in control. But, oh well, someone has all your info anyways and use it just as well. At least Google is pretty open with their evil plans, haha... I think....... hahaha....

I'm thinking RIM will have to really revolutionize their product to get me back. That said, I truly miss my BB and stuff it did well, but, I'd REALLLLY not be able to go back at this point. The Android pros outweigh the cons I think.

If something Android with a lil better hardware (ergonomicallly for me), this stuff will be just short of amazing.

I'm thinking a Driod screened, vertical slider with a chicklet keyboard liike a BB 8830 or Bold and trac-pad on it and I'd be in phone heaven...
    02-15-10 09:04 AM
    For me the nexus is almost perfect. Android software on a lightweight touchscreen. The sunlight issues, BT dialing and no landscape homescreen kind of sucks.

I figure the Blueant Q1 will suffice for the BT issues. It has its own number presets. The V1 does as well but apparently the V1 will not work with the Android OS. I have that one already.

I have not looked but maybe something like Home++ exists for the Nexus?

As for the screen... who knows. I will have to see how the Droid does this summer. I remember comparing the S2 and the Droid and yes the Droid screen is nice but the S2 always seemed brighter ...
    02-15-10 10:43 AM
    OK, yeah, I TOTALLY just made a new post before I saw this one, sorry guys. Mine's the one right above this one. I went from Tour to Eris, and am about to go back to Tour after 3 days due to frustration. This posting actually gave me a couple of apps that might fix some of my frustrations, but I don't think some of them can be fixed because I refuse to use Google Calendar and Gmail. Erasing all appointments older than a month is REALLY annoying and a deal breaker for me.

I forgot about individual email in-boxes, that's annoying, like Bigtime2 said.
    I'd love and Android expert to make a post Titled "here's the apps you need to install to get your android to blackberry level, now go from there!"

Cause I'm too frustrated to spend the time on it.
    Last edited by Cymru; 02-15-10 at 11:02 AM.
    02-15-10 10:53 AM
    Interesting, its strange that Android handles email so poorly. That and the customization of notifications may keep me with my BB. Im not sure the APPs are all bad as they have to be handled better than on the BB. Its simply sad that loading Viigo and UberTwitter reduces battery life so much in the BB world. Messaging though in the BB is as good as it gets and giving that up maybe impossible for me.

Im waiting to see the next wave of phones or how Verizon is going to handle the nexus one. I'm not getting a device without insurance.

Keep the info coming...
    02-15-10 10:54 AM
    There is a combined inbox for all accounts except gmail and exchange. I did not use gmail much on the BB so this is not an issue for me. I like exchange being separate as I don't want work email mixed in with personal. Can you forward your gmail to yahoo,hotmail, etc?

I worried about the email issues with the droid but I have not been too disappointed with it. I guess we all have different needs/wants LOL
    02-15-10 11:16 AM
    I don't use exchange email, but how are SMS handled? Separate from email?

From all my research the largest concern I have it notifications or lack there of.
    02-15-10 11:43 AM
    Only issue with notifications that I have found is vibe settings on email. It will do it but you don't have any customizations. Handcent SMS will do custom vibes on individual SMS/MMS. SMS and MMs are separate from e-mail. I had this separate on my Storm so no big deal to me.

My sms vibe different than emails but I can't determine a work email from a personal email. This is my only gripe. I hope Touchdown will add this at some point. The phone can do it but most apps don't make it happen.

I was a big today theme person on my Storm. I have a full screen on my Droid that combines my work and gmail calendar together on one screen. I did this on my Storm but I had to have an app to sync to exchange and it cost a lot more.
    02-15-10 11:55 AM
    I was a big today theme person on my Storm. I have a full screen on my Droid that combines my work and gmail calendar together on one screen.
    That was the last thing I was worried about, but found out in another thread that it is doable. I depend on the Today screen on my BB 110% to remind me of what is on my calendar. I would be lost without a today theme type phone.
    02-16-10 07:00 AM

What do you like?

What do you not like?

1. Yes

2. I like the marketplace, the ability to customize screens, pinch to zoom.

3. The delay of 2.1 being released lol.

4. Its not that bad ... google talk is the exact same thing except somebody can be on the internet so possibly better.

5. Its fine for non gmail emails .... great for gmail emails. The gmail's get pushed and other emails can get refreshed every 5min or so.

6. Only the HTC phones really have profiles or there are 3rd party apps. Its ok ... also there are widgets you can put on your screen and just click to switch to vibrate so it works a little better I think.
    02-16-10 08:27 AM
    Storm1 to Tour to Droid.

the Droid is what i was (strangely) expecting with both BB's in reference to speed, browsing and apps.

i was hesitant about making the switch, mainly because i had never used an Android phone. However, within a few hours of tinkering (just like anything else) i figured it out and configured it to my liking.

definitely impressed.
    02-17-10 03:00 PM
    called VZW today and they bumped my 3/30 upgrade date to today. Ordered it online with free overnight shipping! can't wait to get it so that I can start playing with it
    02-17-10 04:24 PM

What do you like?

What do you not like?

1. Yes I did, I went from Pearl -> Storm (8 of them actually) -> Tour -> DROID

2. I like the smoothness, speed, and customization of the Android platform.

3. The keyboard isnt the greatest, I use it and do fine with it, but my complaint is that it didnt have dedicated number keys.

4. I had my friends download gTalk on their BB, problem solved.

5. For me email is the same if not better, I use Touchdown for my Exchange server and I get it on my phone before I get it on my work computer. Gmail works perfect for me also.

6. Profiles dont bother me since my phone is either on ring or vibrate and nothing in between. You can download an app called "locale" and it automatically sets your profile for you based on your gps location.
    02-18-10 07:37 AM
    Anyone miss the magnet holster to adjust profiles? I really like that feature on the BB, basically turning off sounds on when its in the holster.

I had a storm 1 and simply could not stand typing on it. Way too slow... I went to a tour and love the phone but I also love the idea of what Android will be. I want wifi since service in my house can be questionable.
    02-18-10 08:12 PM
    Just got my droid yesterday and liking it alot. I came from a tour and android is just better for my needs. I'm not selling the tour cause I would regret it.
    02-18-10 09:15 PM
    Tour > Droid Eris.

I miss my Tour. But I find myself REALLY loving this phone! I just can't seem to take a screen cap of the screen on the Eris, and this is really bugging me. Also, the e-mail push is not as perfect as my Blackberry!

I have three different devices and three different types of OS. I still love RIM to pieces! I have a palm pixi(Sprint), Droid Eris, and Tour(VZW) so it's interesting, especially when I've been on Blackberry for two years.. lol.
    02-18-10 11:05 PM
    Did you convert from a BB to Android? Yes
    What do you like? The screen and speed

What do you not like? Build qualiy, keyboard short battery life can not use one hand

How do you live without messenger? I use sms

How is the email performance compared to the BB? Terrible

How are the "profiles" compared to the BB? This is something I have not been able to find. There are none

I miss my 8330 curve

02-18-10 11:41 PM
    I'm converting on 3-1.
    I'm not waiting on RIM to step up their game.

02-18-10 11:52 PM
91 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD