Hi

* Is it possible to connect a Blackberry Bold 9700 to a WIFI only Android (Honeycomb 3.1) tablet (Galaxy 10.1) via blue tooth so that I can use the Blackberry as a 3G "modem" to connect to the internet?

* Is this called tethering?

* Would I need the equivalent of an Android Blackberry Desktop Software program on the tablet to achieve this? If so, where would I get a copy?

* Would I gain access via the free Blackberry internet access contract, or would one have to pay for data?

Regards
    Leonard
    06-09-11 08:44 AM
    * Is it possible to connect a Blackberry Bold 9700 to a WIFI only Android (Honeycomb 3.1) tablet (Galaxy 10.1) via blue tooth so that I can use the Blackberry as a 3G "modem" to connect to the internet? Yes, but I'd recommend ISH connection

* Is this called tethering? Yes

* Would I need the equivalent of an Android Blackberry Desktop Software program on the tablet to achieve this? If so, where would I get a copy? No

* Would I gain access via the free Blackberry internet access contract, or would one have to pay for data? No, you will be charged a fee.
    06-10-11 08:44 PM
    Hi K Bear

Thanks for the reply.

1. What is an ISH connection?
    2. How does one establish the connection?
    3. Once the connection has been established, is the Bold automatically set up as a modem and is one ready to go using 3G.

4. If it is as simple as this, why are people spending extra on the 3/4G tablets, which in turn will require a data contract and where one will end up paying for data anyway?

Regards
    Leonard
    06-11-11 04:20 AM
    Sorry, I've been playing with the stock Android keyboard. Fast typing & autocorrect do not go hand & hand. ISH = USB.
    06-11-11 02:38 PM
    Try Smart Keyboard. I find it's like the Android keyboard but a lot better IMO. It gives my Droid 1 iPhoneesque typing.
    06-12-11 08:07 PM
    Hi K Bear. Thanks. Makes sense now, but tethering via a cable seems so "low tech". Blue tooth would be much classier.

That said, I am now getting more excited by the Playbook, particularly given that it will run all Android apps.

For a BB phone user, the Playbook sounds like a really good option.

Regards
    Leonard
    06-13-11 04:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD