I have just a quick question. My blackberry bold is coming this weekend, and while I have been on android for several months I have missed my berry love. All of my contacts and messages are saved through gmail backup, how do I go about retrieving them on my blackberry. I did some google searchs and couldn't get a clear answer. I really dont want to have to re-enter all 300+ contacts that I have in my phone.

thanks in advance for all the help!!
    02-02-11 07:14 PM
    there is a google sync app or you can sync via BIS to get contacts. Not sure if the google mail will sync though
    rockrchic923 likes this.
    02-02-11 07:17 PM
    Google Sync will work to get your contacts onto your phone. Messages, I don't think it can be done.
    02-02-11 08:18 PM
    when you set up your email accounts on your new bold, (assuming you have one of the latest versions of BBos), it'll ask if you want to sync your contacts and calendar too with your gmail account. It takes 5-30 minutes for it all the work itself out, but it does work flawlessly. I too left BB to go to Android and have come back to BB. i was happy to discover the latest versions of BBos have gmail enhanced plugin built in so it can sync with gmail accounts easily. It will not, however, retrieve past messages on your account like android or ios will do.
    You don't need the goggle sync app (like I did in the past).

Also if you use google voice, the app isn't going to get txt messages instantly...you can set it to check for messages either never, 5 mins up to 20 mins. I found that kind of a bummer since I do use gvoice a lot. Calls are no problem of course and neither are voice mails.
    02-02-11 08:28 PM
    You can have your Google Voice SMS forwarded to your email though. This way you'll get the SMS instantly (in your email).

This is what I do. I have the Google Voice app set to never refresh. Then when I get a GV SMS it is forwarded to my email. Then I can open the GV app and refresh to SMS back!

Works great. I have VZW SMS blocked. I love saving $20/month on text.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-02-11 08:37 PM
    very nice to see someone coming back to BB! Welcome back
    02-02-11 09:53 PM
    when you set up your email accounts on your new bold, (assuming you have one of the latest versions of BBos), it'll ask if you want to sync your contacts and calendar too with your gmail account. It takes 5-30 minutes for it all the work itself out, but it does work flawlessly. I too left BB to go to Android and have come back to BB. i was happy to discover the latest versions of BBos have gmail enhanced plugin built in so it can sync with gmail accounts easily. It will not, however, retrieve past messages on your account like android or ios will do.
    You don't need the goggle sync app (like I did in the past).

Also if you use google voice, the app isn't going to get txt messages instantly...you can set it to check for messages either never, 5 mins up to 20 mins. I found that kind of a bummer since I do use gvoice a lot. Calls are no problem of course and neither are voice mails.

You mentioned that you can set to get text messages or check for messages either never, 5 mins or up to 20 mins...
    Where do you find that setting??? I can't find that either on the phone or on google voice setting on the computer.
    02-03-11 12:08 AM
    Open Google Voice app on BlackBerry
    Menu
    Settings
    Background Refresh: Never

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-03-11 08:29 AM
    I came back to the Bold from my Droid X.
    02-03-11 02:38 PM
    I too just made the switch to BB. I am coming from AT&T, with whom I've been a customer for the past 6.5 years. I've used the iPhone 2G and 3G, as well as the Samsung Captivate.

However, my company is providing us with Verizon BB's, and I finally decided to port my number over to what I believe is a better network (at least in my area). Plus, I no longer have to pay ATT $60/mo. when my firm will pay for my voice and data services.

Making the decision to port over was difficult, as I have gotten used to the touchscreens and user interface of both the iPhone and Android. However, after I took a close look at what I used my phone for, I decided that switching over to a BB would be worthwhile. I primarily use my phone for (duh) phone calls, email, texts, music & videos, and some web browsing, and the BB can handle all of that.

Additionally, most of the apps that I used on the iPhone and Android are also available on BB. The only thing that the BB doesn't have are games such as word feud/words with friends, but I realized that I really didn't play those games that often. Additionally, I had rooted my Android and jailbroke my iPhone to be able to wirelessly tether my phone. However, this wasn't a feature that I used that often, so I determined that this was a non-issue as well.

After a few days of playing around with the BB, I believe that I've gotten the hang of the OS. However, IT just sent me instructions on how to upgrade the OS to 6, so we'll see how this goes!
    02-03-11 04:06 PM
    if the OP is with Verizon and has the back-up assistant he can get his contacts that way
    02-03-11 07:01 PM
    I too just made the switch to BB. I am coming from AT&T, with whom I've been a customer for the past 6.5 years. I've used the iPhone 2G and 3G, as well as the Samsung Captivate.

However, my company is providing us with Verizon BB's, and I finally decided to port my number over to what I believe is a better network (at least in my area). Plus, I no longer have to pay ATT $60/mo. when my firm will pay for my voice and data services.

Making the decision to port over was difficult, as I have gotten used to the touchscreens and user interface of both the iPhone and Android. However, after I took a close look at what I used my phone for, I decided that switching over to a BB would be worthwhile. I primarily use my phone for (duh) phone calls, email, texts, music & videos, and some web browsing, and the BB can handle all of that.

Additionally, most of the apps that I used on the iPhone and Android are also available on BB. The only thing that the BB doesn't have are games such as word feud/words with friends, but I realized that I really didn't play those games that often. Additionally, I had rooted my Android and jailbroke my iPhone to be able to wirelessly tether my phone. However, this wasn't a feature that I used that often, so I determined that this was a non-issue as well.

After a few days of playing around with the BB, I believe that I've gotten the hang of the OS. However, IT just sent me instructions on how to upgrade the OS to 6, so we'll see how this goes!
    Just take your old iPhone with you and make it an iPod!
    02-05-11 12:54 AM
    Thanks everyone for all the help with my contacts! I knew there was a way to do it but just couldnt remember where to find the app
    02-06-11 07:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD