News Headlines

What a lot of people here who have jumped ship have been saying for a while and the BB diehards deny.
    06-25-10 03:45 PM
    And here it is. Android isn't taking away from Apple but going straight for BB shares.
    06-25-10 04:29 PM
    That doesn't surprise me at all. RIM isn't really throwing out anything amazing with their new phones. I read about the 9800 and I'm not really impressed with it. 9670? GTFO. That phone looks ridiculous. I'd rather buy a Curve.

As for iPhone, it's a great device but it's crippling AT&T. It would really put a dent in Android sales if it was on every major U.S. carrier rather than just one which is being bogged down by heavy data consumption.
    06-25-10 04:29 PM
    I am completely shocked! Let everyone in here tell you Android (Google) and RIM cater to two COMPLETELY different audiences. Must be a little spillover!
    06-25-10 04:34 PM
    It a well know fact rim is not keeping up with the Jones. But if you read all the different forums people are leaving and they are coming back. Yes rim needs to get on the ball with Os issues and faster phones but I think by the holiday seasom you will see a lot more from rim.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-25-10 04:56 PM
    If a Tour user can sneak in here and leave a perspective, I'd say that the reason for the Blackberry exodus to Android has a lot to do with carrier limitations at time of contract renewal. I just wonder how many Verizon users would have bought Blackberry had the Android or Iphone been available at the time they decided to upgrade their feature phone to a smartphone. I think the Blackberry users that are now ditching Blackberry and going to Android are probably the ones that wanted an Iphone in the first place, and would have settled for an Android.

I also wonder how popular Blackberry and Android would be if they had a device like the Ipod Touch to sell the world on their operating system without the world needing to give up their current phone. The Ipod Touch, which features the Iphone OS, was a brilliant marketing move by Apple to generate significant interest in the Iphone. They also get the added benefit of whenever statistics of their apps success is given, all those Touch users who may have Androids, Blackberries, and WinMo devices, are buying up a lot of those millions of apps. But all the credit goes to the Iphone!
    06-25-10 04:59 PM
    I don't know, I am sure a droid bot broke into apples manufacturing plant and short circuited the antenna to the case.....
    06-25-10 05:05 PM
    It a well know fact rim is not keeping up with the Jones. But if you read all the different forums people are leaving and they are coming back. Yes rim needs to get on the ball with Os issues and faster phones but I think by the holiday seasom you will see a lot more from rim.

Go ahead hold your breath.
    06-25-10 05:29 PM

If RIM keeps themselves as the "lower priced alternative" that they are now, you wont see better hardware.
    06-25-10 05:32 PM
    If RIM keeps themselves as the "lower priced alternative" that they are now, you wont see better hardware.
    RIM isn't really "lower priced". My Droid was the exact same price as my storm.
    06-25-10 05:37 PM
    RIM isn't really "lower priced". My Droid was the exact same price as my storm.
    Then why is it that everyone seems to think BBs are more affordable. And I'm not talking about the data compression.

AT&T use to give Curves away, Verizon BOGOs every BB. Yes VZW BOGOs Android as well.
    06-25-10 05:42 PM
    I was a huge BB nut (Pearl > Curve > Storm > Tour) but I became sick and tired of the horrible web experience and lack of innovation. Essentially BB OS 5 (and even 6) is the same BB OS as the old school OS that the scroll wheel BBs used but RIM has just added polish over time and tweaked things here and there. Meanwhile Apple and Google keep refining and refining and adding new features. I went to the Droid last November and although I still have my Storm and will occasionally use it as a backup, its just so night and day between the two. I went back and forth between my Tour and Droid at first and I was just so much more productive on the Droid. The web browser let me do pretty much anything I could do on a laptop, including log into BlackBoard and complete school assignments on the go.

BB OS6 looks real nice and will FINALLY have a good browser but still compared to iOS4 and Android 2.1+, it still doesn't hold a candle and really is more of the same. Now with the iPhone 4 I don't even miss typing on the Tour. Its so effortless to type on the iPhone. I can say that had RIM made the original Storm a true capacitive touchscreen phone and done a new OS just for it, they would be in a much better position. Now they are a little too late to the party.
    06-25-10 09:40 PM
    Then why is it that everyone seems to think BBs are more affordable. And I'm not talking about the data compression.
    It's because RIM has been forced out of the high-end and now has to market to the low-end of the market. I'm willing to bet that their revenue per handset is a fair bit lower than it was during their heyday (around Q4 2008.)

BB OS6 looks real nice and will FINALLY have a good browser but still compared to iOS4 and Android 2.1+, it still doesn't hold a candle and really is more of the same. Now with the iPhone 4 I don't even miss typing on the Tour. Its so effortless to type on the iPhone. I can say that had RIM made the original Storm a true capacitive touchscreen phone and done a new OS just for it, they would be in a much better position. Now they are a little too late to the party.
    OS 6 may look nice in that it won't feel like using my nearly 5-year old 8700 with prettier graphics (hello 9700.) It looks outdated already to iOS 4 and Android 2.1., let alone what Google is going to do with Gingerbread later in the year.
    06-25-10 10:57 PM
    Double post...
    Last edited by nate8u; 06-26-10 at 12:48 AM.
    06-26-10 12:23 AM
    RIM you had a good run. But the future is now !

Android phones are coming out at lightning speed with state of the art everything ,
    while BB waits for a new storm, tour whatever. etc.. with a crappy dated os

By by rim waaaaaay to late

Gotta run I have a video call.
    Last edited by nate8u; 06-26-10 at 12:50 AM.
    06-26-10 12:24 AM
    RIM you had a good run. But the future is now !

Android phones are coming out at lightning speed with state of the art everything ,
    while BB waits for a new storm, tour whatever. etc.. with a crappy dated os

By by rim waaaaaay to late

Gotta run I have a video call.
    Whoops - you missed the call - your battery is dead
    06-26-10 06:55 AM
    OS 6 may look nice in that it won't feel like using my nearly 5-year old 8700 with prettier graphics (hello 9700.) It looks outdated already to iOS 4 and Android 2.1., let alone what Google is going to do with Gingerbread later in the year.
    Yea that's exactly what I'm screaming. I watched the few videos of it several times and really its more of the same. I guess it works well for those who just want to do email and BBM but I'm one of the minority that think Android and iOS4 now handle email better than BB.

I've said it last year when the Moto Droid came out and I'll say it now. RIM will suffer the same fate as Palm, except their fall from grace wont be quite as fast.
    06-26-10 07:14 AM
    It's because RIM has been forced out of the high-end and now has to market to the low-end of the market. I'm willing to bet that their revenue per handset is a fair bit lower than it was during their heyday (around Q4 2008.)
    So I was right then. They are the lower cost alternative.
    06-26-10 11:49 AM
    Whoops - you missed the call - your battery is dead
    Fail. Especially coming from a storm user.

Anyways, its no surprise that Android is picking up, every carrier but ATT is pushing it because they don't have the iPhone. Apple is hurting themselves by being on one single carrier in the US (which is where the bulk of Android sales are).

Nevertheless RIMs atrocious touchscreen offerings don't fare well at all against the likes of Apple, HTC, Samsung. The only answer RIM had to the iPhone was the Bold 9000 (real BB fans remember this, tons of comparisons as they were 2 devices on top of their game, the Storm just a mere afterthought).

RIM needs another true Bold phone, not these cheap clones but a phone that pushes the brand, with a bigger overhaul than what OS6 is supposed to bring.
    06-26-10 04:19 PM
    Yea that's exactly what I'm screaming. I watched the few videos of it several times and really its more of the same. I guess it works well for those who just want to do email and BBM but I'm one of the minority that think Android and iOS4 now handle email better than BB.

I've said it last year when the Moto Droid came out and I'll say it now. RIM will suffer the same fate as Palm, except their fall from grace wont be quite as fast.
    I much prefer Android to BlackBerry for e-mail because Gmail works great as expected on Android.

RIM won't be as broken as Palm because of the corporate market. Unless Microsoft comes in and convinces corporations that they don't need to pay the extra for BES and service outages with Windows Phone 7. They'll end up like how Nokia is now, catering to the low-end of the market because they lost the high-end for consumers. RIM's already starting.
    06-26-10 04:40 PM
    If a Tour user can sneak in here and leave a perspective, I'd say that the reason for the Blackberry exodus to Android has a lot to do with carrier limitations at time of contract renewal. I just wonder how many Verizon users would have bought Blackberry had the Android or Iphone been available at the time they decided to upgrade their feature phone to a smartphone. I think the Blackberry users that are now ditching Blackberry and going to Android are probably the ones that wanted an Iphone in the first place, and would have settled for an Android.

I also wonder how popular Blackberry and Android would be if they had a device like the Ipod Touch to sell the world on their operating system without the world needing to give up their current phone. The Ipod Touch, which features the Iphone OS, was a brilliant marketing move by Apple to generate significant interest in the Iphone. They also get the added benefit of whenever statistics of their apps success is given, all those Touch users who may have Androids, Blackberries, and WinMo devices, are buying up a lot of those millions of apps. But all the credit goes to the Iphone!

You nailed it square on the head for me. My wife and I wanted a smartphone and the saleswoman really sold us on the Storm. Because it was the latest greatest phone. At first we both love it until we started having problems with it. Some updates and leaks helped but isn't enough. Now that I know alot about phones and really got into it, Android here I come!
    06-26-10 07:43 PM
    News Headlines

What a lot of people here who have jumped ship have been saying for a while and the BB diehards deny.
    That journalist loses credibility when he implies that WebOS may compete with Blackberries.
    06-28-10 12:05 PM
    I made the switch to android and I have to say with the flash support blows iphone out of the water for me
    06-28-10 12:08 PM
    A part of RIM's issue too is that bb users really aren't locked into bb with services. If you have an iPhone, you become trapped by the iPhone ecosystem. You invest money in apps, games, music, and movies that for the most part cannot be used with any other devices. Kind if the same with Android devices. Once you become hooked on Google services, it just makes sense to have an android smartphone. outside of BBM there really isn't anything about the blackberry experience that locks you into the device. Therefore, it seems likely that they will be the ones experiencing the biggest exodus. I see much if the same happening when WM7 is released. Everyone who likes Windows Live services will flock to that platform and leave blackberry smartphone behind. I'm starting to see the same from myself. since getting an android device, I have begun to use a lot of Google services; Google voice, listen, navigation, email, picasa, buzz, docs, and more. After a year of heavily investing in these services, it will be very difficult to change to another platform.

07-11-10 06:02 PM
    The only way the iPhone will win more market share is one they DUMB AT&T exclusive.

iPhone is already seeing a shrinking marketshare. Android is picking up the slack.

It was a touch choice for me to leave after 5 yrs on a BB, but I won't be back.

RIM states they have a pipeline that will 'blow you away', but I just don't see how. OS6 looks cool, but can't hold their ground compared to Android 2.1. I can't believe you STILL CANNOT WIRELESS TETHER a BlackBerry. WM has had that for years.. Android has it.. Half the BB's don't even support WiFi.

The 9800 is promising, but will probably have another carrier exclusive. Real dumb RIM, real dumb move. Say goodbye to ever eroding market share.
    07-11-10 08:30 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD