It's almost 15.5 hours now I'm down to 9%, so it'll be shutting off soon. This is certainly better than yesterday, but it is little annoying to have to stay on 2G. But I still don't know whether there's anything to this battery breaking in phenomenon. Maybe tomorrow will be even better.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-11 09:26 PM
    It's almost 15.5 hours now I'm down to 9%, so it'll be shutting off soon. This is certainly better than yesterday, but it is little annoying to have to stay on 2G. But I still don't know whether there's anything to this battery breaking in phenomenon. Maybe tomorrow will be even better.

2G may be necessary for you if you are in an area of weak 3g signal, you may be draining your battery jusy searching for signal. Have you tried juice defender? It shuts down your radios when not being used.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk
    11-20-11 05:24 AM
    Thanks for the advice. If life hasn't improved (the phone was dead by 6:15) by Sunday, I'll try something else. Or go back to the BBc I guess. I wonder if the HTC mytouch is any better.

trouble is that these devices very such reports, concerning battery life.

I had the G2x for like 3 days and had tons of problems with it. I got the HTC Sensation and loved it, until I tripped and shattered the screen. After that I could never get a decent replacement so now I have the HTC Amaze. This is a GREAT PHONE, but holy balls the battery on it completely blows. I hope tmo comes out with an update that fixes it. In the meantime I bought 2 spare batteries from ebay. If its battery life you're after though, you can't go wrong with the Sensation.
    11-20-11 11:44 AM
    Typing from my new Amaze. I think this definatly a great phone but I got to admit, I do miss my 9700.
    11-20-11 01:21 PM
    There are some things from the BB that I miss. I had different alerts for incoming text messages and IMs, so I could tell by the sound what it was. I don't seem to be able to do that on the G2x, although I haven't hunted for an app for this yet either.
    Simply download a 3rd party SMS program such as Handcent, or GoSMS. These allow you to customize the notification sound. Obviously any IM program will allow you to customize it as well. Depending on the IM, you can customize a different sound per person, but as far as I know, it's not possible with SMS programs.
    11-20-11 03:31 PM
    Typing from my new Amaze. I think this definatly a great phone but I got to admit, I do miss my 9700.
    The Amaze is alright, but the GS2 is better.
    11-20-11 05:19 PM
    There are something's I miss about BlackBerry...my 880 MB's internal storage AFTER installing a **** LOAD of APPS (FYI...BBApp World is a JOKE!!!!!) MAKES IT BETTER...I CAN MOVE APPS TO MY MEDIA CARD!!!...I never knew...with ALL DO RESPECT TO RIM and Kevin...BlackBerrys are GREAT for businessmen/women...BUT its FAR from a SMART phone...I always considered smartphones to be more like a computer (the closer the "smarter")...this Droid IS Incredible!!!...oh AND...FLASH!!!!!

Last edited by mcaples; 11-20-11 at 05:35 PM.
    11-20-11 05:32 PM
    Have you tried to use a custom ROM? I know my phone gets better battery life on a custom ROM.

11-20-11 05:41 PM
    I haven't tried rooting and custom ROMs yet, since I'm still in the trial period. But read on...

It's Day 4. As expected, the G2x died just a few minutes short of 16 hours of uptime yesterday, and once again I repeatedly tried restarting it, to tap the battery out completely. I forgot to mention that I had Juice Defender running yesterday as well.

Today was certainly a welcome change. I decided to leave Juice Defender turned off. I kept Wifi on at home, but switched to 2G when out and about. I had a few phone calls, downloaded a 30 MB and a 12 MB podcast. I downloaded and installed a number of apps and utilities from the Market: a file manager, dropbox client, PageOnce, etc. I listened to one podcast for about a half hour and listened to stored music for about 45 minutes. I did some web browsing, email, etc., and read on Kindle for about an hour.

Right now, it's about 7:15, so over 12 hours uptime since unplugging from the charger. I'd call today a moderate use day. At the moment, I have 37% remaining. That comes to about 5.1% per hour, averaged over the whole day. Before I did the heavy downloading this afternoon, I was averaging about 3%/hour, which is comparable to what I was getting on the BB 9780! Downloading huge podcasts certainly took a bite out of the 9780's battery too, so taking that into consideration, I got about the same battery performance on the G2x today that I usually get on the 9780.

This is very satisfactory!

I don't know if today's performance was a result of not running Juice Defender, or the battery finally being "broken in" (whatever that means), or both, but it certainly was impressive. I want to drain it one more time tonight before recharging, and it's clear that when I go to bed in a few hours it'll be nowhere near finished, so I'll have to do some things to run the battery down on purpose; maybe run the video recorder for a while.

Tomorrow I think I'll leave 3/4G on when not in Wifi and see how much difference that makes.

But, unless today was a fluke, I've now demonstrated that I can get the kind of battery life that I want out of this gadget, and switching over to 3/4G manually for data-heavy operations is not a huge inconvenience. I have a suspicion, however, that I'll find out tomorrow that it's not necessary, and the OS will handle it efficiently without my help. I think it's been all about the battery conditioning--or maybe something to do with the way the OS meters the battery.

For the rest of the trial period, I can concentrate on functionality instead of battery life, and get a real feel for how I like working in Android, as opposed to BB OS.
    11-20-11 06:27 PM
    Lol the amaze is far better buddy. Specs wise, built, everything. Not to mention the discoloration issues the tmobile sg2 has. The only sg2 that could rival the amaze is the att version since it mantained the exynos cpu. And even there the amaze has its pros.
    11-20-11 06:39 PM
    To each their own but this was totally not my experience. I couldn't stand the SGS2 when I used it for a week.
    11-20-11 08:14 PM
    To each their own but this was totally not my experience. I couldn't stand the SGS2 when I used it for a week.
    What did you not like about it?

11-20-11 08:22 PM
    The Amaze has light leak issues, will get dust under the screen eventually, has poorer battery life, poorer reception, sense UI is heavily bloated compared to TW 4.0, speakerphone is terrible, overheating issues, doesnt have get as loud with line out or headphones, worse WiFi reception, poor audio recording with videos.. very unrealistic colors with the camera

This is coming from a Sensation owner prior. The Amaze is the same with a new shell, more ram, normal clockspeed, slightly better rear camera and a new modem. My Sensation 4G got dust under the screen like no tomorrow.

Vs issues for the GS2?

Lines visible in low light on low brightness with gray colors. Battery indicator can get stuck at 100%, resolution not as tight as the Amaze..
    Last edited by watbetch; 11-21-11 at 03:11 AM.
    11-21-11 01:24 AM
    Day 5 now, and I've kept Juice Defender off, but left 3/4G on. Last night, it took quite a bit of extra effort to drain the battery down. I took it off the charger this morning at 6:00 am, and now at 11:00, five hours later, it's down to 70%, averaging 6%/hour. I did install one app, the SmartKey keyboard. I know that downloading and installing things uses more juice, but it's just one app. Other than that, my usage has been light.

The odd thing is, I'm at work, and we have a Wifi network, so I have Wifi on. I thought that when Wifi is on the 2/3/4G radio is off, so I wouldn't have thought it would make any difference that I don't have the "2G only" box ticked.
    11-21-11 10:06 AM
    The Amaze has light leak issues, will get dust under the screen eventually, has poorer battery life, poorer reception, sense UI is heavily bloated compared to TW 4.0, speakerphone is terrible, overheating issues, doesnt have get as loud with line out or headphones, worse WiFi reception, poor audio recording with videos.. very unrealistic colors with the camera

This is coming from a Sensation owner prior. The Amaze is the same with a new shell, more ram, normal clockspeed, slightly better rear camera and a new modem. My Sensation 4G got dust under the screen like no tomorrow.

Vs issues for the GS2?

Lines visible in low light on low brightness with gray colors. Battery indicator can get stuck at 100%, resolution not as tight as the Amaze..
    Nah... Mine is working flawlessly, Wi-Fi is ultra-fast, and none of the things you mentioned are 0.01% as bad as you make them sound. Maybe with your Sensation you had a bad unit? I did hear the Sensation had a Wi-Fi issue, but the Amaze does not and it is clearly a better and different device.

However, the screen on the Amaze is, just check the specs too if you want, better, built too is solid, the SGSII is a Samsung so, cheap materials, camera is nowhere near as good as the Amaze, as well as the software. Pentaband, which means the Amaze will work on AT&T or in Italy on 4G when I go and it has Stereo FM Radio with RDS.... etc etc etc... I am not saying the SGSII sucks, just that the Amaze costs a bit more for a reason, and that overall, after a lot of research, it seemed to be much better IMO.
    11-21-11 07:02 PM

Vs issues for the GS2?

I used the Sensation too, and one really can't judge a device just because they used a previous one by the same manufacturer. I had a great Sensation with none of those issues you mentioned, but then I tripped and it shattered. The next couple replacements had really bad bugs, so I got the SGS2. The resolution was just horrible for the size of the phone. It seemed like I was using a phone for the elderly that need large icons and menus. I like my screen crisp and clear.

I did not like samoled+. It didn't work well doing day to day activities like browsing the web and viewing apps. Whites were blue. I like my colors the way they are meant to be seen.

Yes the Amaze has light bleed issues. I fix that with the app "screen filter" which allows you to turn off the backlight on the capacitive buttons. And battery life is a bit worse than the SGS2, and both are worse than the Sensation which was a total battery sipper. I've talked to tmo and they said htc is aware of both the battery and light bleed issue and will be sending out an update. But the sgs2 will always have a crappy screen that I couldn't stand.
    11-21-11 08:44 PM

Vs issues for the GS2?

I used the Sensation too, and one really can't judge a device just because they used a previous one by the same manufacturer. I had a great Sensation with none of those issues you mentioned, but then I tripped and it shattered. The next couple replacements had really bad bugs, so I got the SGS2. The resolution was just horrible for the size of the phone. It seemed like I was using a phone for the elderly that need large icons and menus. I like my screen crisp and clear.

I did not like samoled+. It didn't work well doing day to day activities like browsing the web and viewing apps. Whites were blue. I like my colors the way they are meant to be seen.

Yes the Amaze has light bleed issues. I fix that with the app "screen filter" which allows you to turn off the backlight on the capacitive buttons. And battery life is a bit worse than the SGS2, and both are worse than the Sensation which was a total battery sipper. I've talked to tmo and they said htc is aware of both the battery and light bleed issue and will be sending out an update. But the sgs2 will always have a crappy screen that I couldn't stand.
    Edited to add: I prefer Sense to TouchWiz. It has more useful options and widgets. My phone needs be a tool and Sense let's me do what I need.
    11-21-11 08:52 PM
    You have my same phones! I had a 9700, and now the Amaze!
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    11-21-11 11:35 PM

Edited to add: I prefer Sense to TouchWiz. It has more useful options and widgets. My phone needs be a tool and Sense let's me do what I need.
    Screens can have a tinge to them, no way around it. A Sensation with the Acer panel had a horrible purple tinge to whites and ones without the tinge, not to mention the annoying dot pitch. I haven't looked into the Amaze's LCD long enough to see if the same poor QC carries over but it has for tons of HTC phones.

The Sensation a battery sipper? Surely you jest. I have a Sensation now and the only reason why it lasts so long is because I don't have any apps on it and don't even use the thing really. Battery life is a #1 complaint for the Sensation and Amaze. My Galaxy S 2 kicks the dirt out of the Sensation and especially the Amaze when it comes to life. Being able to have at least 10 hours of up time with heavy usage is very good for an Android phone, let alone a dual core Android phone with a SuperAMOLED screen.

Sense does have a lot of widgets, but that's where the problem therein lies. It has too many widgets. The launcher is too fancy, it slows the phone down because the effects require more RAM and more processing power.

Light bleed is not something they can fix with an update. That is a design defect.
    11-22-11 08:06 PM
    Nah... Mine is working flawlessly, Wi-Fi is ultra-fast, and none of the things you mentioned are 0.01% as bad as you make them sound. Maybe with your Sensation you had a bad unit? I did hear the Sensation had a Wi-Fi issue, but the Amaze does not and it is clearly a better and different device.

However, the screen on the Amaze is, just check the specs too if you want, better, built too is solid, the SGSII is a Samsung so, cheap materials, camera is nowhere near as good as the Amaze, as well as the software. Pentaband, which means the Amaze will work on AT&T or in Italy on 4G when I go and it has Stereo FM Radio with RDS.... etc etc etc... I am not saying the SGSII sucks, just that the Amaze costs a bit more for a reason, and that overall, after a lot of research, it seemed to be much better IMO.

The resolution is tighter, that's about it. The contrast levels & viewing angles are unmatched by any simple LCD screen. The only time I encounter oversized fonts and such is in apps that don't allow adjustments. The E-Mail app looks comical before you change the text size to small and add in a preview line. Same for TweetDeck and other apps. I also loaded a slightly modified stock rom that has a 5x4 grid for the app drawer and a 5 row icon dock at the bottom. Looks fine to me, even going back to the Sensation with it's similarly oversized Sense 3.0 launcher icons and widgets.

The GS2 has a pentaband antenna. It also has better antenna reception.

Video recording on the Amaze is atrocious thanks to horrible audio recording. The difference between the cameras is not huge without all of that software processing crap they put in. None of that stuff is realistic. It does have a FM Radio which the GS2 does not. The camera sensor is better, only gimped by HTC's photo processing.
    11-22-11 08:16 PM
    ^Bell's version of the SGSII does have FM radio. I also think the Sensation screen is a no match against the SGSII. Viewing angles are horrible on the Sensation and reviews are saying the same thing with the Amaze.There is also many complaints with Bell about the Sensations battery. Glad. I chose the SGSII instead...a much better phone imo.

11-22-11 08:27 PM
    The Amaze has gotten praise for its screen...not sure what you're reading.

HTC Amaze 4G review | The Verge
    Telus HTC Amaze Review | MobileSyrup.com
    11-22-11 10:37 PM
    Those same reviewers praised the Sensation 4G's screen too but it's far from praise with the viewing angles and poor contrast. Not at all like a true SLCD panel.
    11-23-11 04:38 AM
    The Amaze has gotten praise for its screen...not sure what you're reading.

HTC Amaze 4G review | The Verge
    Telus HTC Amaze Review | MobileSyrup.com

I read it here: http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/15/htc-amaze-4g-review/

Last edited by GG1; 11-23-11 at 11:01 AM.
    11-23-11 05:11 AM
    Those same reviewers praised the Sensation 4G's screen too but it's far from praise with the viewing angles and poor contrast. Not at all like a true SLCD panel.
    If you bothered reading the review of the Telus version, they actually condemn the Sensation's panel. Good try though.
    11-23-11 05:17 PM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD