If anyone is interested in rooting their Sprint Hero - How to root the CDMA Hero - xda-developers there are fully detailed instructions at this site. They are already cooking ROMS for the Sprint Hero as well. I would expect they'll have an Eris root at some point.
    11-09-09 11:07 PM
    Eris owners, Dont bother with this. I've already tried. the sdroot2 won't load in our phones. So installations halts at the mount function.
    11-09-09 11:27 PM
    Eris owners, Dont bother with this. I've already tried. the sdroot2 won't load in our phones. So installations halts at the mount function.
    They'll do one for the Eris specifically, I'm sure.
    11-09-09 11:56 PM
    Can someone elaborate on what exactly there is to gain by rooting a phone that already has Sense? I've mostly heard of people rooting Android phones that ran vanilla OS's and put on custom UI's, but I like Sense plenty...
    11-10-09 12:01 AM
    Can someone elaborate on what exactly there is to gain by rooting a phone that already has Sense? I've mostly heard of people rooting Android phones that ran vanilla OS's and put on custom UI's, but I like Sense plenty...
    They have some pretty SICK custom ROMs out there. I mean like really cool and creative stuff. I won't root my phone, because if you brick it, there is no fix, and I really like Sense. Rooting the phone allows you to tether with WiFi, get rid of all the carrier specific bloatware, among other things. The custom ROMS guys at XDA are cooking are sweet, but its too risky for me to try to mess around with.
    11-10-09 12:04 AM
    Also, some apps only work on rooted phones. Stuff like CPU overclockers etc.
    11-10-09 12:14 AM
    If anyone is interested in rooting their Sprint Hero - How to root the CDMA Hero - xda-developers there are fully detailed instructions at this site. They are already cooking ROMS for the Sprint Hero as well. I would expect they'll have an Eris root at some point.
    >> that runs an exploit in Android's linux that allows us to run root.<<

This can't be true???? an unpatched security exploit in Android
    11-10-09 11:28 AM

One of the reasons that BB will always remain king of the corporate world.
    11-10-09 02:14 PM

You're kidding me right. Everything... EVERYTHING has its weaknesses.

One of the reasons that BB will always remain king of the corporate world.
    Give me a break. The only reason why people say it's secure is because not a lot of people have bothered to hack the platform. It's not appealing to hackers at the moment. Same reason why no one bothers with Macs too much...

Bottom line is, everything has its weaknesses. Those weaknesses don't always have to be a bad thing. A lot of good comes from opening up platforms for self issued code. The idea of Jailbreaking an iPhone has sold more iPhones then if it wasn't capable of this. CFW's have sold more PSPs in the past then anything else that Sony tried to bring to market to make the PSP more fun. More people are drawn to the idea of "doing more" with their purchased products then not. People like to have options when they buy stuff and a lot of tech nerds will buy something that's hackable to extend its capabilities rather then buy something that's stagnant and locked down to what the man wants it to do.

Heck, I know normal people that wanted to buy an iPhone because they heard they could Jailbreak it and run it on their carrier. So, as you can see, it's not all bad. Hacking something does not always mean bad! Take off the tin foil hats.
    11-10-09 02:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD