So I just got a new Torch in the mail on Saturday but honestly I'm not a huge fan right now.. I really want the Samsung Captivate but I don't know if AT&T will let me exchange the Torch since I've opened it and used it..

My question is: If I get a Captivate from somewhere like craigslist and just switch the SIM card from my Torch to the Captivate, will everything still work properly? I'm asking because when I got my Torch I just put in the SIM from my old curve and even though it let me use call, texts, web, ect. it wouldn't let me set up my emails or sign into the facebook app until I put in the new SIM it came with. Would I run into a similar problem by switching to the Captivate?
    Thanks alot!!
    01-19-11 11:39 PM
    Don't you have 14 days to return a device on AT&T?
    01-20-11 12:21 AM
    Also, Blackberry email works on a BIS or BES data plan, Android email doesn't, so I'm sure AT&T sets up your account differently for a non Blackberry smartphone.
    01-20-11 12:24 AM
    It's 30 day return policy with AT&T, if you bought directly from them. Phone has to be in like-new condition. Like xliderider said, internet won't work. But SIM card will for voice. All you have to do is call AT&T and tell them to switch the data to a non-Blackberry one. (you can also do that by yourself in your account settings on the AT&T website)
    01-20-11 09:41 AM
    Above posters have good point, you shouldn't need to buy a new device, you just won't be able to do it in a store because it sounds like you purchased the Torch via online or over-the-phone sales, which is where you'll need to do the exchange. Unfortunate side-effect is that you'll have to wait again for the shipping time, but they will ship immediately upon you sending Torch back, all you need to do is provide them with order/shipping number for tracking info on returned package.

As for your question, yes and no. Yes you can put your sim in and it will work, partially. It will make calls and send text messages, but your BB and Android devices require different data packages to operate the more specific features like BBM and App world use. So you'll have to call in to customer care and have them change the provisioning for your internet from BB to Android. Doesn't cost anything and only takes a moment, once you actually get someone.
    01-20-11 01:13 PM
    i did it two days ago.switched from style to evo.did it myself on my comp.everything is working fine.
    01-24-11 12:46 PM
    I still have a BlackBerry data plan (I still have a BlackBerry) but I've been using an android phone mostly for about 2 weeks now. I have not told AT&T anything and everything works just fine.
    01-24-11 04:59 PM
    I still have a BlackBerry data plan (I still have a BlackBerry) but I've been using an android phone mostly for about 2 weeks now. I have not told AT&T anything and everything works just fine.
    Yeah, it is more applicable when switching the other way around. Going from a non Blackberry smartphone to a BlackBerry smartphone for the BIS or BES to work.
    01-24-11 06:56 PM
    Call AT & T and ask. With Verizon if you purchase from their website you CAN return to the store.
    01-25-11 01:51 PM
    I picked up my captivate off Ebay and put in my sim from my bold and have had no problems for the past 3 months you will be fine
    01-25-11 03:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD