Well, my droid has been broken for sometime.. it wont charge because something on the inside of the phone broke ( its not the chargers because i have 3 different, and they all will charge my older brothers droid )
    So i always charged my phone by taking my battery and putting it inside my older brothers phone while his charger the other battery.. but he moved out 2 days ago, and my phone is dead..

Can I go to my Verizon today and tell them i "lost" my droid and use my insurance to get another?
    Im pretty sure when i rooted it, it voided my warranty. But even if it didn't i'd like to keep the phone, broken or not.. Im going up their with my mom and about 300$ so maybe she will help me out and get me a Droid X.. But if not, Can i just tell them i lost it and get a new one?

Tl;dr
    Droid wont charge, want to go to verizon and use insurance to get a new one..
    can I do and say i lost my droid? without them tracking or anything?

Thanks
    12-11-10 10:25 AM
    Why lie about it? Just say, "It won't charge" and they should replace it. You can't keep it and get another, that's dishonest.
    12-11-10 10:55 AM
    how bought get an external charger for like $20 with spare batteries....all said and done you spend $30 for charger and batteries probably.
    12-11-10 11:00 AM
    Plus 1 for the spare batteries, and the standalone battery charger. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to be able to charge while the phone's one.
    12-11-10 11:05 AM
    You can use your insurance if you like unless your phone is still covered under warranty or extended warranty. Or get an upgrade since you want the X.
    12-11-10 11:22 AM
    NO don't lie that's fraud. Call VXW if your phone is less than a year old it will be replaced under warranty.
    12-11-10 11:24 AM
    I cant just buy a new charger or battery.. the charger INSIDE the phone is broken.. the metal parts are torn off
    12-11-10 11:29 AM
    I cant just buy a new charger or battery.. the charger INSIDE the phone is broken.. the metal parts are torn off
    They were recommending buying an EXTERNAL charger. A charging station that just holds a battery and plugs into a wall. Get an extra battery, then just keep one battery on the charging station at all times, swapping them out.

Alternatively, un-root your phone, and then just trade it in on your insurance claim.
    12-11-10 11:35 AM
    Unrooting instructions are in the first post here:

Much simpler guide for rooting (no pc required) - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

As mentioned, just get a refurbished phone from Verizon after unrooting it. I guess you will need to ask your brother for one more "charge" so you can unroot your phone.
    12-11-10 11:54 AM
    Are you still under warranty? If not I suggest the external chargers and battery idea.

Here's a link for amazon. It says oem Motorola battery but I'm not sure. Is this the battery you currently have? Battery and external charger for $15.

amazon.com/Motorola-Droid-1300mah-Standard-Battery/dp/B00317ZW48/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1292091106&sr=8-3

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-11-10 12:14 PM
    Are you still under warranty? If not I suggest the external chargers and battery idea.

Here's a link for amazon. It says oem Motorola battery but I'm not sure. Is this the battery you currently have? Battery and external charger for $15.

Motorola BP6X A855 Droid OEM 1300mah Standard Battery

Motorola OEM P323 Spare Battery Charger Only with MicroUSB and MiniUSB Connectors for Different Battery Families

Added links to your post for OEM battery and external charger.
    12-11-10 12:21 PM
    Added links to your post for OEM battery and external charger.
    Thanks! I'm still figuring how to properly add links. :-)

12-11-10 12:29 PM
    Insurance covers everything water damage, lost, stolen, broken. But yeah if its still under warranty I'd try to get verizon to replace it... If they say no then go thru insurance. I wouldn't tell asurion its lost/ stolen if u still have the phone. Your esn goes on a list and u won't be able to activate it again anyway.

12-11-10 12:43 PM
    Insurance covers everything water damage, lost, stolen, broken. But yeah if its still under warranty I'd try to get verizon to replace it... If they say no then go thru insurance. I wouldn't tell asurion its lost/ stolen if u still have the phone. Your esn goes on a list and u won't be able to activate it again anyway.

Not to mention that it's insurance fraud...
    12-11-10 12:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD