So it appears this is what transpired. I was pretty skeptical of a "silent update" No idea how they could flash the firmware without an install/notification (not saying it NOT possible but don't understand how)

I got this off of Droid Forum - Covering all Verizon Droid Phones & the Motorola Droid

Explains the 11th push for the update maybe?

So glad I left BB. If this was a RIM issue we'd be waiting for months : )

Nope. Google’s Dan Morrill explained that the camera issues have been pinned down to a date-related bug:

There’s a rounding-error bug in the camera driver’s autofocus routine (which uses a timestamp) that causes autofocus to behave poorly on a 24.5-day cycle. That is, it’ll work for 24.5 days, then have poor performance for 24.5 days, then work again.
    The 17th is the start of a new “works correctly” cycle, so the devices will be fine for a while. A permanent fix is in the works.
    Last edited by cereal killer; 11-17-09 at 11:56 AM.
    11-17-09 11:54 AM
    It's nice to know that they take the time to explain the details with everyone. At least you know something's in the pipeline, as opposed to with RIM where you would NEVER know anything about future updates.
    11-17-09 12:08 PM
    There’s a rounding-error bug in the camera driver’s autofocus routine (which uses a timestamp) that causes autofocus to behave poorly on a 24.5-day cycle. That is, it’ll work for 24.5 days, then have poor performance for 24.5 days, then work again.
    The 17th is the start of a new “works correctly” cycle, so the devices will be fine for a while. A permanent fix is in the works.
    gtfo, right now, I mean it....

that is strange...
    11-17-09 12:23 PM
    Wow, that is so funny.
    11-17-09 12:25 PM
    So we can all be ready to become unfocused in 24.5days???
    11-17-09 12:32 PM
    So we can all be ready to become unfocused in 24.5days???
    I would be willing to bet just about anything that it will be fixed befoer that. Especially since they now know exactly what the problem is.
    11-17-09 12:35 PM
    Nice stab at RIM OP, then you wonder why the trolls come in the Android section. lol
    11-17-09 12:38 PM
    I would say this is a cover story and that the goog really can access your phone and do whatever they want....

their tak'n yer info!!!! prep the tin foil hats!!!
    11-17-09 12:40 PM
    Hmm, this date bug sounds well and good. However, I tried the "camera fix" while it was still 11/16/09 and my autofocus was working.
    11-17-09 01:19 PM
    Pictures still look like crap on a computer though.
    11-17-09 01:26 PM
    I would say this is a cover story and that the goog really can access your phone and do whatever they want....

their tak'n yer info!!!! prep the tin foil hats!!!
    If it really is because of a bug, then that means it was not a silent software push and access to peoples phones didn't happen.
    11-17-09 01:27 PM
    That was a joke
    11-17-09 01:40 PM
    Nice stab at RIM OP, then you wonder why the trolls come in the Android section. lol
    It's unfortunately the truth. Lets not mix words and sugar coat things....

and remember it was a blanket statement. Not a jab at a particular device
    11-17-09 01:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD