Came across this article today

Samsung Galaxy S II (S2) vs BlackBerry Bold 9900: Sure Winner : Online Social Media

I am upgrading in the next 2 - 3 months and it is between these two phones. I have been hardcore BB the past 3 years, but the limited app space of the 9900, lack of hotspot, missing flash support, have me weighing all options.

This article has lots of good points, but it does miss some others. The Bold 9900 has a smaller screen, but it does have a better 'pixels per inch' and although it isn't 'super amoled plus', pixels do matter and make a screen truly beautiful and clear (see the Ip4 in real life if you disagree)

Also, the S2 runs 21mb/s over hspa+ whereas the Bold only runs 14mb/s. My carrier is on this, and I would like to get the most out of my data plan.

What are your thoughts? Is the 9900 just a stop gap this year, until the more powerful dual core qnx berries arrive next year?
    Guatiao likes this.
    05-08-11 04:43 PM
    on paper these two phones are not in the same league. it all comes down to what you want it for. i for one as long as the bb performs superfast and i don't see much of that hr glass im going to be happy with it.
    05-08-11 04:57 PM
    i was under the impression that the phone is going to have hot spot. i for one love the android browser, miss the flash support. however battery life and keyboard are a must for me, if worse case i now have my playbook to browse the web. i for one want this new one. its like a dream come true for me.
    05-08-11 05:09 PM
    I'd choose the galaxy s2. I really wouldn't buy a bb right now with qnx coming and older hardware most likely wont get the update.
    05-08-11 05:15 PM
    There is no way I would purchase a BB until QNX is on board. These devices coming out now will never leave OS 7 because QNX requires multicore processing. These devices are going to end up like the Torch. It will EOL with the OS it shipped with.
    05-08-11 05:27 PM
    I'd choose the galaxy s2. I really wouldn't buy a bb right now with qnx coming and older hardware most likely wont get the update.
    That's my biggest fear. I love the 9000/9900 form factor, and BBs in general, but if this device never sees an update past OS7, and becomes dated after one year, I'd be pretty upset (I'd probably feel like the 9550 owners, who had devices less than six months old when OS6 came out, and didn't get an update). I don't know what I'll do, the 9000 keyboard alone is such a massive plus, I'll need to hold and use both devices...
    05-08-11 05:29 PM
    That's my biggest fear. I love the 9000/9900 form factor, and BBs in general, but if this device never sees an update past OS7, and becomes dated after one year, I'd be pretty upset (I'd probably feel like the 9550 owners, who had devices less than six months old when OS6 came out, and didn't get an update). I don't know what I'll do, the 9000 keyboard alone is such a massive plus, I'll need to hold and use both devices...
    Seeing as Verizon will likely get the 9930, my initial thought was "wow I want it". The 9000 form factor is really appealing, but as you said its a stop gap and is already EOL.
    05-08-11 06:26 PM
    I see these phones on two different playing fields.
    05-09-11 12:43 AM
    I see these phones on two different playing fields.
    What do you mean? As in the comparison isn't fair? I'm comparing one of this summer's premier Android phones to THE premier BlackBerry.

I can see the 9900 being a superior 'messaging' device, in that it has a sexy keyboard, bbm, great email support, hopefully great battery, ect. However, in the past year I've noticed that 90% of the time I spend on my BB is *not* using bbm, text messages, and phone calls. The majority of my time is spent on the browser, or in social apps like Facebook, Twitter, ect, I check my Google Reader at least 6 times a day to keep upto the minute on my RSS feeds, ect... I really wanted the 9900 to be the best BlackBerry possible for right now (in a technology/software/hardware sense) and I don't feel this device will be that.
    05-09-11 08:17 AM
    This is joke!!Man get u a SG2 when it comes 2 the states on VZW and b happy,next question!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Greenghost2212 likes this.
    05-09-11 09:58 AM
    The blackberry will be nice but it sounds like you need something more than a blackberry and the galaxy s two is an awesome choice. :-)

05-09-11 10:12 AM
    I've been a long time BB user because I've always placed a huge emphasis on efficiency/productivity, and have always found major faults with past android and iphone devices. But I seem to be coming to a crossroads as android is improving in UI efficiency and eliminating the faults, and as I start to value web, video, and camera features more. I'm at the point now where I don't FB through the computer at all anymore, only the phone. And I get frustrated when someone posts a video that everyone's commenting on and I can't view it because it's only flash. Maybe I can fill this void with a Playbook, not sure. And even though I own some nice camera equipment, it never seems to be handy for those priceless candid moments that young kids are full of. But my phone is always with me so that's what gets used most often and every little bit of extra quality here is of great value. Here's my take on the advantages of each (for me anyway).

Samsung Galaxy S II
    -------------------

+ My most used apps are Google apps... maps/latitude, docs, gmail, calendar sync, etc... and they are likely to be first and better on android phones. Although I can't currently complain too much about the google apps on the BB (worried about Playbook, though).

+ More and better apps for kids, for times when we're out and they need to be occupied. Although, these times can often be predicted and some other device could potentially be brought along in addition.

+ Multi-platform video chatting (gtalk). Although I'm generally near a laptop when I'd want to video chat, I can see how being able to do it through the phone would be more convenient.

+ K9 mail supports imap push, OpenPGP encryption. Although I'm trying to get away from needing encryption, and I'm not sure if I want my phone's mail to have the same folder organization as the server.

+ Widgets provide vital info at a glance. This is more flexible than BB, but OS6+ still seems to have the fundamentals covered with the pull-down screen of recent email and message subjects, phone calls, tasks, cal items. And also BB icons can show the current date, weather, etc.

+ Bigger screen for more efficient web browsing (less need to zoom) and more comfortable video viewing, although overall pixel count is more important, and isn't too much different (25% more pixels).

+ Faster web browsing and support for flash for overall better web experience.

+ Ability to get non-truncated email attachments.

+ Free apps to do basic things that cost money on BB, such as wifi file transfer, add number/addr to existing contact, encrypted email, etc. Although, I don't think I'd let a few bucks influence a decision of this magnitude.

+ Unified phone and tablet apps coming sooner (Q4) and more likely to support current hardware. We can't know at this point, but it doesn't seem like this summer's BB's will support next year's merged QNX/BBOS and universal apps.

+ 1080p video recording vs. 720p on BB, and 8MP cam vs 5 MP cam on BB. Although image quality isn't all about pixel count. We'll need to judge the output, particularly low-light quality.

+ Swipe missed calls or messages on lock screen to unlock straight into the corresponding app. Sounds about as fast as using wakeup button and keyboard shortcut on the BB.

Blackberry Bold Touch
    ---------------------

+ Landscape oriented screen is most useful, and with Bold you don't need to physically rotate the device to get it. With android you're constantly rotating the device back and forth for situations that are more appropriate for certain orientations. i.e. landscape for email, portrait for phone calls.

+ I've practiced typing on Android for quite some time, but I'm still consistently 6% faster on my Bold 9700. Although 6% isn't a whole lot. Although I may be a little faster and more accurate on the larger keypad of the Touch.

+ There are a number of things about the BB interface that make me more efficient/more productive. Keyboard shortcuts are a biggie. i.e. from the home screen I can press 'd', 'g', 'enter' (or select button) and be editing my grocery list in the time it takes to do 1 screen swipe on Android. I also value 'alt'-'back' to toggle back and forth between 2 running apps, much like alt-tab/cmd-tab on a PC/Mac. On android you have to long-press the Home button, then select the 2nd icon in the list to achieve a similar thing... little bit slower. Spacebar for paging down a screen in email or browser is much easier and more accurate than swiping. I can switch to vibrate, lock/unlock, mute, launch camera all by feel, often before I pull the phone all the way out of my pocket, which greatly speeds up those operations. One-touch speed dialing from the home screen. Android has 1-touch speed dialing, but you have to go to the phone app first, or specifically create a shortcut for it on the home screen. But you can't have as many shortcuts on a single home screen as you have keys on the BB keyboard... and especially key combinations.

+ Track pad makes hitting links in the web browser more precise, and selecting text for copy and paste much faster.

+ Even without the track pad, the touch screen supports 2-finger multi-touch for selection. Not as precise as the trackpad but great for quickly selecting a range of emails, for example.

+ Which brings me to mass delete of email. Easy as punch on the BB... hold shift and swipe the trackpad down to select as a lot quickly, the hit 'del'. Android requires individually selecting each email. Perhaps use of imap syncing and a different usage mdoel could reduce the need for this.

+ Email filtering through BIS. I have a lot of types of emails that I wan't to receive and have archived on my computer, but aren't important enough to come to my phone. BIS makes it easy to filter these out, which saves my data bandwidth, prevents disturbing me unnecessarily, and consumes less memory on my device. The only solution I've seen for Android is to conditionally forward mails to another account which only the device syncs with, but that's too ugly for me. You'd be replying from a different account.

+ Punctuation seems easier because it's displayed on the keys so you know where you're finger needs to go before you've hit the alt key. Perhaps there are alternative keyboards for Android that do the same thing.

+ Key layout more optimized for professional use. For example, the numbers are in a numeric-keypad arrangement rather than a row across the top. I greatly prefer this. Also, the $ is readily available, without even hitting alt. On GS2 it's buried in the 3rd-level symbol screen.

+ Keyboard doesn't cover screen real-estate when you're using it. So when writing notes, tasks, etc. you can see the other items in the list for reference while you're typing, rather than just the line you're typing.

+ Reliability. My Blackberries have always been unwaveringly reliable, unlike other makes I've had. Even with numerous dropping without cases.

+ Battery life. BB's batt life is amazing. Android users typically struggle to get through the day. GS2 seems like it might be barely OK.

+ RIM's data compression saves network bandwidth. If Android pushes me over the $15/mo. plan, it's a non-starter.

+ Drop-in charging dock and automatic bedside mode`. I appreciate just dropping the bold into the charging dock and not having to fiddle with lining up a USB connector. I love the evolving dream alarm... wakes me up gently if it can and only gets obnoxious if I'm in a coma. I don't know what alarms are available for android, but I'm skeptical there's something better.

+ NFC. Not sure what I'd use this for, or if it will get much traction in the 1-2 years I have the phone, but adds a tad bit more future-proofness.
    05-12-11 01:56 AM
    Unfortunately BlackBerry is falling away from what makes them a better device, to those who love them, trying to compete with the Androids & iPhones by focusing on Internet experience rather than phone calling, which they are doing miserably. It's getting harder and harder to support RIM products and look down my nose at those others so highly regarded. I'm still happier now with my 9700 & 8900 than I ever was with any iToy or Andradle, as a phone, but I'm left wondering, once these BBs of mine hit the dirt, where am I left? I fear that I'll be ever-so unfortunate to be stuck with having to go back to Android "phones". Then again, maybe I'll just go back to a flip phone or something basic with a QWERTY keyboard. Time will tell...
    05-12-11 05:38 PM
    I've been a long time BB user because I've always placed a huge emphasis on efficiency/productivity, and have always found major faults with past android and iphone devices. But I seem to be coming to a crossroads as android is improving in UI efficiency and eliminating the faults, and as I start to value web, video, and camera features more. I'm at the point now where I don't FB through the computer at all anymore, only the phone. And I get frustrated when someone posts a video that everyone's commenting on and I can't view it because it's only flash. Maybe I can fill this void with a Playbook, not sure. And even though I own some nice camera equipment, it never seems to be handy for those priceless candid moments that young kids are full of. But my phone is always with me so that's what gets used most often and every little bit of extra quality here is of great value. Here's my take on the advantages of each (for me anyway).

Samsung Galaxy S II
    -------------------

+ My most used apps are Google apps... maps/latitude, docs, gmail, calendar sync, etc... and they are likely to be first and better on android phones. Although I can't currently complain too much about the google apps on the BB (worried about Playbook, though).

+ More and better apps for kids, for times when we're out and they need to be occupied. Although, these times can often be predicted and some other device could potentially be brought along in addition.

+ Multi-platform video chatting (gtalk). Although I'm generally near a laptop when I'd want to video chat, I can see how being able to do it through the phone would be more convenient.

+ K9 mail supports imap push, OpenPGP encryption. Although I'm trying to get away from needing encryption, and I'm not sure if I want my phone's mail to have the same folder organization as the server.

+ Widgets provide vital info at a glance. This is more flexible than BB, but OS6+ still seems to have the fundamentals covered with the pull-down screen of recent email and message subjects, phone calls, tasks, cal items. And also BB icons can show the current date, weather, etc.

+ Bigger screen for more efficient web browsing (less need to zoom) and more comfortable video viewing, although overall pixel count is more important, and isn't too much different (25% more pixels).

+ Faster web browsing and support for flash for overall better web experience.

+ Ability to get non-truncated email attachments.

+ Free apps to do basic things that cost money on BB, such as wifi file transfer, add number/addr to existing contact, encrypted email, etc. Although, I don't think I'd let a few bucks influence a decision of this magnitude.

+ Unified phone and tablet apps coming sooner (Q4) and more likely to support current hardware. We can't know at this point, but it doesn't seem like this summer's BB's will support next year's merged QNX/BBOS and universal apps.

+ 1080p video recording vs. 720p on BB, and 8MP cam vs 5 MP cam on BB. Although image quality isn't all about pixel count. We'll need to judge the output, particularly low-light quality.

+ Swipe missed calls or messages on lock screen to unlock straight into the corresponding app. Sounds about as fast as using wakeup button and keyboard shortcut on the BB.

Blackberry Bold Touch
    ---------------------

+ Landscape oriented screen is most useful, and with Bold you don't need to physically rotate the device to get it. With android you're constantly rotating the device back and forth for situations that are more appropriate for certain orientations. i.e. landscape for email, portrait for phone calls.

+ I've practiced typing on Android for quite some time, but I'm still consistently 6% faster on my Bold 9700. Although 6% isn't a whole lot. Although I may be a little faster and more accurate on the larger keypad of the Touch.

+ There are a number of things about the BB interface that make me more efficient/more productive. Keyboard shortcuts are a biggie. i.e. from the home screen I can press 'd', 'g', 'enter' (or select button) and be editing my grocery list in the time it takes to do 1 screen swipe on Android. I also value 'alt'-'back' to toggle back and forth between 2 running apps, much like alt-tab/cmd-tab on a PC/Mac. On android you have to long-press the Home button, then select the 2nd icon in the list to achieve a similar thing... little bit slower. Spacebar for paging down a screen in email or browser is much easier and more accurate than swiping. I can switch to vibrate, lock/unlock, mute, launch camera all by feel, often before I pull the phone all the way out of my pocket, which greatly speeds up those operations. One-touch speed dialing from the home screen. Android has 1-touch speed dialing, but you have to go to the phone app first, or specifically create a shortcut for it on the home screen. But you can't have as many shortcuts on a single home screen as you have keys on the BB keyboard... and especially key combinations.

+ Track pad makes hitting links in the web browser more precise, and selecting text for copy and paste much faster.

+ Even without the track pad, the touch screen supports 2-finger multi-touch for selection. Not as precise as the trackpad but great for quickly selecting a range of emails, for example.

+ Which brings me to mass delete of email. Easy as punch on the BB... hold shift and swipe the trackpad down to select as a lot quickly, the hit 'del'. Android requires individually selecting each email. Perhaps use of imap syncing and a different usage mdoel could reduce the need for this.

+ Email filtering through BIS. I have a lot of types of emails that I wan't to receive and have archived on my computer, but aren't important enough to come to my phone. BIS makes it easy to filter these out, which saves my data bandwidth, prevents disturbing me unnecessarily, and consumes less memory on my device. The only solution I've seen for Android is to conditionally forward mails to another account which only the device syncs with, but that's too ugly for me. You'd be replying from a different account.

+ Punctuation seems easier because it's displayed on the keys so you know where you're finger needs to go before you've hit the alt key. Perhaps there are alternative keyboards for Android that do the same thing.

+ Key layout more optimized for professional use. For example, the numbers are in a numeric-keypad arrangement rather than a row across the top. I greatly prefer this. Also, the $ is readily available, without even hitting alt. On GS2 it's buried in the 3rd-level symbol screen.

+ Keyboard doesn't cover screen real-estate when you're using it. So when writing notes, tasks, etc. you can see the other items in the list for reference while you're typing, rather than just the line you're typing.

+ Reliability. My Blackberries have always been unwaveringly reliable, unlike other makes I've had. Even with numerous dropping without cases.

+ Battery life. BB's batt life is amazing. Android users typically struggle to get through the day. GS2 seems like it might be barely OK.

+ RIM's data compression saves network bandwidth. If Android pushes me over the $15/mo. plan, it's a non-starter.

+ Drop-in charging dock and automatic bedside mode`. I appreciate just dropping the bold into the charging dock and not having to fiddle with lining up a USB connector. I love the evolving dream alarm... wakes me up gently if it can and only gets obnoxious if I'm in a coma. I don't know what alarms are available for android, but I'm skeptical there's something better.

+ NFC. Not sure what I'd use this for, or if it will get much traction in the 1-2 years I have the phone, but adds a tad bit more future-proofness.
    Excellent post! Lots of great points on both devices, thanks for your input

08-08-11 09:56 PM
    Unfortunately BlackBerry is falling away from what makes them a better device, to those who love them, trying to compete with the Androids & iPhones by focusing on Internet experience rather than phone calling, which they are doing miserably. It's getting harder and harder to support RIM products and look down my nose at those others so highly regarded. I'm still happier now with my 9700 & 8900 than I ever was with any iToy or Andradle, as a phone, but I'm left wondering, once these BBs of mine hit the dirt, where am I left? I fear that I'll be ever-so unfortunate to be stuck with having to go back to Android "phones". Then again, maybe I'll just go back to a flip phone or something basic with a QWERTY keyboard. Time will tell...
    If you are happy with the basic blackberry than why are you concerned about going android and iphone? Get the Bold 9900 or new OS7 curve if 9700 and 8900 is what you need. OS7 is essentially Blackberry 6.1. Still has the legacy code. Partitioned memory, push email, enhanced security, battery pulls, and app install reboots.
    08-08-11 10:18 PM
    However, in the past year I've noticed that 90% of the time I spend on my BB is *not* using bbm, text messages, and phone calls. The majority of my time is spent on the browser, or in social apps like Facebook, Twitter, ect, I check my Google Reader at least 6 times a day to keep upto the minute on my RSS feeds, ect... I really wanted the 9900 to be the best BlackBerry possible for right now (in a technology/software/hardware sense) and I don't feel this device will be that.
    Seeing's how the majority of your useage seems to be more for the multi-media aspect..i'd definately have to say go with the SGSII. The fact that you can have Twitter, Facebook and Reader's ALL as widgets on your screen..to keep you updated without ever needing to log into anything is awesome..and is one of the reason's I love Android. I can have all my Facebook status updates and Twitter updates (via Launcherpro) on one screen and just scroll up or down to view all the posts..as well as post to one or both using the same widget. It really takes social media to a whole new level. All this coupled with the amazing browsing experience on these devices make it an easy choice imo.

Despite the BB's current "benchmarks" for web browsing..i'm reeaally skeptical about actual real world performance. Considering the fact that the Playbook (running dual core and QNX) web browsing left me with a terrible taste in my mouth (*cough* checkerboarding *cough*)..I don't have high hopes for any of these other devices.
    Chrisy and mechanic_joe like this.
    08-09-11 01:21 PM
    And my Android is as formidable a messaging device as my BBs ever where. If one is open to overcome the nature avoidance of virtual keyboards, sky is the limit.
    lssanjose and Greenghost2212 like this.
    08-09-11 01:28 PM
    Seeing's how the majority of your useage seems to be more for the multi-media aspect..i'd definately have to say go with the SGSII. The fact that you can have Twitter, Facebook and Reader's ALL as widgets on your screen..to keep you updated without ever needing to log into anything is awesome..and is one of the reason's I love Android. I can have all my Facebook status updates and Twitter updates (via Launcherpro) on one screen and just scroll up or down to view all the posts..as well as post to one or both using the same widget. It really takes social media to a whole new level. All this coupled with the amazing browsing experience on these devices make it an easy choice imo.

Despite the BB's current "benchmarks" for web browsing..i'm reeaally skeptical about actual real world performance. Considering the fact that the Playbook (running dual core and QNX) web browsing left me with a terrible taste in my mouth (*cough* checkerboarding *cough*)..I don't have high hopes for any of these other devices.
    In that case Im going with SGS2!!!! I have a berry but all I ever really use it for is, texting/calling... web sometimes.. *CAMERA* and msn messenger/Gtalk. BBM and Email is a plus... but I only use BBM cuz I have it.. maybe just talk to one guy that bout it. And I could care less about email.. don't get anything important or need to check really. I want my phone to be more than a phone so I'll go with the SGS2.
    08-09-11 02:13 PM
    Proud to have sgs2 :P
    08-11-11 04:42 AM
    I like the blackberry 9900 but it really is no match for a high end Android device.

08-14-11 08:15 AM
    What do you mean? As in the comparison isn't fair? I'm comparing one of this summer's premier Android phones to THE premier BlackBerry.

I can see the 9900 being a superior 'messaging' device, in that it has a sexy keyboard, bbm, great email support, hopefully great battery, ect. However, in the past year I've noticed that 90% of the time I spend on my BB is *not* using bbm, text messages, and phone calls. The majority of my time is spent on the browser, or in social apps like Facebook, Twitter, ect, I check my Google Reader at least 6 times a day to keep upto the minute on my RSS feeds, ect... I really wanted the 9900 to be the best BlackBerry possible for right now (in a technology/software/hardware sense) and I don't feel this device will be that.
    Kind of answered your own question

Sent from my Incredible using Tapatalk
    08-14-11 10:35 AM
    And my Android is as formidable a messaging device as my BBs ever where. If one is open to overcome the nature avoidance of virtual keyboards, sky is the limit.
    A F'n men

Sent from my Incredible using Tapatalk
    08-14-11 10:38 AM
    I want the SGS2 but would get killed on data roaming charges since there is no intl data plan with TMO or an intl email plan like they have for BBs. I would also move to ATT but think TMO's UMA is worth too much to lose out on.
    08-15-11 02:57 AM
    I use both BB and Galaxy. I still prefer BB for any sort of messaging.
    08-20-11 11:30 PM
    I had the Captivate on 2.2 and while is was a fantastic media device I found it a little clucky for messaging...much like Jehelam provided in his summary. Now that both devices are out and mainstream are there any other significant improvements on SGII over the 9900?

I'm liking the 9900 and because I'm not big into social media, browsing, games, picture/movies I don't think I'm missing out...but I'm not sure e.g. from a messaging perspective is there any benefit of the SGII over the the 9900? Again, I couldn't find any on the SG1.
    09-01-11 12:50 AM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD