View Poll Results: Which is better the Blackberry Tour or Motorola Droid?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Blackberry Tour

9 29.03%
  • Motorola Droid

20 64.52%
  • Both about the same

0 0%
  • I Dont like either of these devices

2 6.45%
    Depends. I had a curve for years, then got a Droid for Christmas. I tried to like it and really do if I am sitting at my desk or at home. But after 28 days using the Droid on the go is a total pain. Way to easy to touch the screen and click something and very hard to hold and dial/use when or walking or driving. Also noticed the Droid does not mute the mic on the phone when you have a corded handsfree pluged in. So if you have the phone in your pocket the person on the other end gets a ton of noise. Also you think you are on mute and you are not.

Other issues with the Droid are crashes, which the bberry has but quickpull seems to fix. Also if I was to stay with an android device I think that the Nuxus One is the way to go as the keyboard on the droid is a pain and the touch keyboard is fine, but the track ball on the nexus would help moving in a text field(I would hope).

Anyway i think my Droid is getting returned tonight and I will be getting a Tour or just going back to the Curve. A few things I will miss on the Droid. 1. Dolphin Broswer, which is awesome, 2 Google Nav, and Better but not great google mail.

Can't wait to have a phone back that is not double locked and can it one key to dial many speed dials!
    Last edited by charlotterealtor; 01-25-10 at 01:57 PM.
    01-25-10 01:54 PM
    Depends. I had a curve for years, then got a Droid for Christmas. I tried to like it and really do if I am sitting at my desk or at home. But after 28 days using the Droid on the go is a total pain. Way to easy to touch the screen and click something and very hard to hold and dial/use when or walking or driving. Also noticed the Droid does not mute the mic on the phone when you have a corded handsfree pluged in. So if you have the phone in your pocket the person on the other end gets a ton of noise. Also you think you are on mute and you are not.

Other issues with the Droid are crashes, which the bberry has but quickpull seems to fix. Also if I was to stay with an android device I think that the Nuxus One is the way to go as the keyboard on the droid is a pain and the touch keyboard is fine, but the track ball on the nexus would help moving in a text field(I would hope).

Anyway i think my Droid is getting returned tonight and I will be getting a Tour or just going back to the Curve. A few things I will miss on the Droid. 1. Dolphin Broswer, which is awesome, 2 Google Nav, and Better but not great google mail.

Can't wait to have a phone back that is not double locked and can it one key to dial many speed dials!
    Why do people instist on using their phone while driving, then complaining about the difficulty to do so because of some minor issue with the phone?

PLEASE DON"T USE THE PHONE, ANY PHONE WHILE DRIVING!!!!
    01-25-10 02:36 PM
    I think those who have had bad experiences are just stuck in the blackberry ways! The droid is a great device as well as the tour is great! I say ya like what ya like...and be happy with it certain things aren't for everyone!
    You are spot on about this. If you are coming from a BB and you actually liked/loved your BB, then going to a Droid or a device like it probably won't suit you if you have the same expectations. A lot of the complaints that I hear about the Droid and other devices that are similar seem to be the same from former BB users. And usually the complaints coincide with what they really liked/loved about their BBs. Some of the things that BB owners need to keep in mind when switching to the Droid or Iphone is that there are certain sacrifices you will have to make for certain advanced features. A touchscreen device with such a brilliant screen and dynamic UI will eat battery life. BBs don't have these things so the battery life is really good. Battery life is a common complaint of the Droid and Iphone from former BB users. The messaging system is something worshiped in the BB circle. There isn't a device that compares to it on the market today. If you switch, you need to know that. BBs also have the best keyboards. If you go to the Droid, you will be disappointed. Going to any keyboard whether it be physical or virtual will not feel as good as the BB keyboard. This will have to be something that you are willing to sacrifice. Push email will not be as good as the BB's push email. But, you will benefit from email that isn't truncated, email that looks like it does on the desktop and not jumbled, and email that can be manipulated. The apps are better on the Droid and there are more of them. Google integration is far more advanced, so if you have Google, it may be the way to go. The Droid may not be as compatible with other email clients like BBs. So if you are using hotmail or Yahoo you may have an easier time with a BB. These are just my thoughts based on my extensive use of BBs and the occasional encounters with the Droid.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-26-10 04:06 AM
    You are spot on about this. If you are coming from a BB and you actually liked/loved your BB, then going to a Droid or a device like it probably won't suit you if you have the same expectations....
    This.

After evaluating the Droid for 2 weeks, I ended up back with a Blackberry (I had come from a TMO Curve to the Droid, and now have a VZW Tour)

The ubershort battery life issue was resolved by changing the screen timeout to 30-seconds...I had it set for 2 minutes, and that just killed battery life. I had it set that long because of the main reason I went back to a BB:

The "unlock" procedure.

Blackberries are easy to unlock with one hand. The Droid was awkward, at best. After removing from the holster, you had to try and find the small power button, press it, and THEN do the swipe thing to unlock the phone. It was the "wake up" portion of that which was awkward. To have to do this after a mere 30 seconds stunk. Even my BB won't lock if I set it down for a few minutes.

I was able to cobble together solutions to get the Droid to do what I needed it to do...
    * receive email from my Internet business (via POP through GMAIL, not elegant),
    * get my contacts onto the Droid (upload a .csv file to GMAIL, synch contacts to Droid, then delete the contacts from Gmail...I didn't want my contact's info in Gmail)
    * Synch my calendar to Outlook (which I use at home for my email client). Gmail has a Synch tool, which worked, but you can't accept appointments sent to you on the Droid. (Yeah, maybe with an Exchange server, but I don't use one).

After using it for 2 weeks, one of which was at a major trade show, I decided I needed a phone that did email and calendaring really well, not a micro-PC that happened to also make phone calls.

The Droid is a very capable device, just not for me. While the Droid's browser kicks the BB's ***, it's just not that important to me. Neither are most apps the Droid had out there. There were some cool ones, to be sure, but that's not why I have a phone/device.

So, I went with a Tour. I had thought about the Storm 2, because of the larger screen, but after playing with it more during my hour wait for service at the Verizon store (!!), I realized I liked a physical keyboard much more than I had thought (I used it whenever possible with the Droid), and going to a Storm2 would probably cause the same frustrations as with the Droid.
    01-27-10 09:57 AM
    obliviates any bb to shreds... never had a single problem with it either. never going to pull another batt again ever.................

01-27-10 04:50 PM
    seriously in my opinion the Droid wins, but then again these devices aren't even in the same category so i dont think they should be compared. you have a qwerty keyboard device with no wifi, and then you have a droid with wifi, better screen, they run on the same network so there isnt really anything to talk about there. i mean the droid clearly wins, but i dont think its fair to the tour 9630. just my two cents
    01-27-10 06:49 PM
    I agree. My hubby and I have had Droid since the launch n it is HORRIBLE! We constantly loose calls and have returned our phones a hand full of times. My family complains how the phones always hangs up on them
    Plus I don't get my emails like I did with the curve. Run away from this phone.

02-14-10 03:54 PM
    I agree. My hubby and I have had Droid since the launch n it is HORRIBLE! We constantly loose calls and have returned our phones a hand full of times. My family complains how the phones always hangs up on them

I have not had one dropped call. I had to return my Droid once because something happened with the sliding mechanism. My email comes in just as fast (Gmail) on my Droid as it does on my 9000 and iPhone. The Droids email is better than BB email (BIS ******* sucks) because you have all sorts of syncing and folders available. Sorry you are having a bad time with your Droids, mine is treating me like gold.
    02-14-10 05:49 PM

hmm, my buddy has a curve and he always drops his calls. I have never dropped a call on teh Droid. Could it be the area you are in? As that si his issue usually.

Of course you don't get your emails like on the BB, one is poll, one is push. Should have done your research first before buying I guess. I haven't had trouble with my email in a few weeks now.
    02-14-10 06:15 PM
    Ok here is my story. I have had the tour since July 2009. I have a phone fetish. I HAVE to have the best phone out. SO I bought the Moto Droid. The phone is kick ****. To sit down on the couch and play with it for an hour it is an awesome device. HOWEVER, as a phone and emailing tool not so awesome. The phone is hard to use without your FULL attention. If you are walking thru the mall or driving forget it. (And I'm not even talking about txting and driving, I'm just talking about answering or making a phone call while driving.) I kept the phone for a week before returning it. I kept thinking I just needed to get used to it but it never really got any easier. (I am 23 and have had touch screens in the past...such as the dare. I'm not technology challenged or anything) The phone was truly difficult to use; I felt like I txt less and emailed less from my phone because it was more trouble than it was worth to send a txt. After a week I decided to switch back to my tour and use it for a couple of days and then decide what I wanted to do. I wanted to make sure I didn't MISS anything about the droid and regret my decision. The minute I switched back it was like a huge relief. Like you've been driving two hours home in a blizzard and just pulled in your driveway relief. I mean within 2 mins I knew the droid was going back. It was so easy to use and I knew my emails would be there. (The droid had a huge delay sometimes.) There isn�t anything I miss about the droid. (There aren�t HUGE differences anyhow.) It just seemed like there were so many extra steps to do things on the droid

I'm sure some of you love the droid and feel the complete opposite. I am just giving you my experience/opinion

If you have any specific questions feel free to private message me. I will be glad to help you based on my experience/opinion!
    02-16-10 10:49 AM
    How about comparing Storm2 to Droid?
    02-16-10 11:09 AM
    IMHO, who cares
    02-16-10 11:41 AM
    IMHO, who cares
    ^^^Ultimately, this needs to be posted in every phone vs. phone thread on the net.^^^

Since coming back to Verizon in 2008, I have loved every phone more than the previous, from EnV2 to Dare to Curve to Droid. I don't think the Tour comes close to the Droid, but obviously that si my opinion, I know my wife would trade her Tour for my Droid in a heartbeat.
    02-16-10 11:59 AM
    ^^^Ultimately, this needs to be posted in every phone vs. phone thread on the net.^^^

Since coming back to Verizon in 2008, I have loved every phone more than the previous, from EnV2 to Dare to Curve to Droid. I don't think the Tour comes close to the Droid, but obviously that si my opinion, I know my wife would trade her Tour for my Droid in a heartbeat.
    Yeah, LOL. I thought it was nicer than the tour sucks!

02-16-10 12:37 PM
    This.

After evaluating the Droid for 2 weeks, I ended up back with a Blackberry (I had come from a TMO Curve to the Droid, and now have a VZW Tour)

The ubershort battery life issue was resolved by changing the screen timeout to 30-seconds...I had it set for 2 minutes, and that just killed battery life. I had it set that long because of the main reason I went back to a BB:

The "unlock" procedure.

Blackberries are easy to unlock with one hand. The Droid was awkward, at best. After removing from the holster, you had to try and find the small power button, press it, and THEN do the swipe thing to unlock the phone. It was the "wake up" portion of that which was awkward. To have to do this after a mere 30 seconds stunk. Even my BB won't lock if I set it down for a few minutes.

I was able to cobble together solutions to get the Droid to do what I needed it to do...
    * receive email from my Internet business (via POP through GMAIL, not elegant),
    * get my contacts onto the Droid (upload a .csv file to GMAIL, synch contacts to Droid, then delete the contacts from Gmail...I didn't want my contact's info in Gmail)
    * Synch my calendar to Outlook (which I use at home for my email client). Gmail has a Synch tool, which worked, but you can't accept appointments sent to you on the Droid. (Yeah, maybe with an Exchange server, but I don't use one).

After using it for 2 weeks, one of which was at a major trade show, I decided I needed a phone that did email and calendaring really well, not a micro-PC that happened to also make phone calls.

The Droid is a very capable device, just not for me. While the Droid's browser kicks the BB's ***, it's just not that important to me. Neither are most apps the Droid had out there. There were some cool ones, to be sure, but that's not why I have a phone/device.

So, I went with a Tour. I had thought about the Storm 2, because of the larger screen, but after playing with it more during my hour wait for service at the Verizon store (!!), I realized I liked a physical keyboard much more than I had thought (I used it whenever possible with the Droid), and going to a Storm2 would probably cause the same frustrations as with the Droid.
    Have had my Droid Moto for about 5 days and am leaning HARD to doing exactly what you've said here. Don't get me wrong, it's a cool device but it's just not the business device the BB is. Tour here I come I guess...oh and the battery-life just blows!!
    05-12-10 06:17 PM
    GREAT summary. The "stress" of trying to be productive on the Droid can not be dismissed.

I consider myself tech savvy but Android's crappy contact management and lack of full MS sync (lack of notes / tasks) is a non-starter for me. After nearly two weeks of fighting my Incredible and thinking perhaps I'm just getting old and not willing to try the new thing...I've come to terms with the fact the old way of doing things is OK and even BETTER if it works and lets me get things done faster.

As a professional you get to a point where the phone is a work tool and taking time to find workarounds for things that bberry's do out of the box just isn't an option. After extensively exploring the Droid I realized that there are 70,000 apps (1000's of alarm clocks) primarily because the OEM ones are crap.

I have no doubt that the Droid platform will improve and hopefully it will push RIM a bit but right now for anyone that spends more time looking up contacts / calendar events than surfing the web the BBerry is probably the right choice. It seems the iphone / droid / bberry conversation always starts and ends on the keyboard but honestly the lack of a physical keyboard wasn't the issue...it was the battery life and loss of contact searching that swung me back to RIM. A bberry for work and an ipad 3G to take along when I travel. Two devices but they are both excellent at what they are designed for...

Hope I can save someone else two weeks of "fun"
    07-27-10 03:57 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD