- CrackBerry User
- 97 Posts
BlackBerry Storm 1 Switchers
I have some questions for those of you who have switched from the BlackBerry Storm to the Droid.
1) Compared to the Storm how easy are the menus to navigate?
2a) How is the web browsing experience?
2b) Will most websites appear on the droid as they do on my PC?
2c) Will the droid browser show flash video?
3) Are there a lot of free applications that are useful, are paid applications overpriced like many are on the BlackBerry platform?
4) I know the droid has a 5mp camera but how good are the pictures in a "real life" situation?
5) Are you pleased with your decision to switch from the Storm to the Droid?
6) What do you miss about the Storm?
7) What would you like the Droid to have that it does not currently have?Running Lyricidal's 126.96.36.1999/.607 hybrid and loving it!
- 03-17-10, 01:49 PM #4
1) Compared to the Storm how easy are the menus to navigate? They are much easier than the BB OS imo
2a) How is the web browsing experience? Web Browsing using a BB browser was a joke. Stock browser to stock browser the Droid 1000 times better
2b) Will most websites appear on the droid as they do on my PC? for the most part yes, unless they are a mobile site
2c) Will the droid browser show flash video? not yet, sometime soon though
3) Are there a lot of free applications that are useful, are paid applications overpriced like many are on the BlackBerry platform? 1000's of free ones, and the most expensive app I have is Touchdown (use it for work), I bought it at 9.99 but now it 19.99.
4) I know the droid has a 5mp camera but how good are the pictures in a "real life" situation? Outside they are great, some washout in low light situation, but in all fairness my phone isnt for taking amazing pics.
5) Are you pleased with your decision to switch from the Storm to the Droid? I wont go back to BB
6) What do you miss about the Storm? I liked the Storms camera quality actually... and I missed BBM for about 2 days.
7) What would you like the Droid to have that it does not currently have? Flash support (coming), and Nike+ support. The lack of Nike+ is the only reason I still use my iPod touch lol
Last edited by Lynx83; 03-17-10 at 01:53 PM.Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com/andrewbahr
- 03-17-10, 02:48 PM #5
I came from the Storm 1, and may I preface this statement by saying I really enjoyed the Storm and my first Blackberry, but the Android OS is MUCH more user friendly and fluid. The Web experience and keyboard typing alone is worth the change. Now I can actually check my balances in my bank accounts in 2 minutes instead of waiting 5 to 10 minutes for a page to load and reload and accidentally hit the back button and so forth.Dont Worry. Be Happy
- CrackBerry Addict
03-17-10, 03:23 PM #8Portfolio | My Twitter
- 555 Posts
Phone: Samsung Fascinate
Rom: Stock Deodexed 2.1
Recovery: CM 188.8.131.52
Kernel: JT's 1.2GHz Voodoo Enabled + AOSP Boot Anim.
Phone: Motorola Droid 1 [SOLD]
Theme: Dark Edge
- 03-18-10, 08:43 AM #11
i am waiting on the N! or the Incredible to switch from my S1.........
my question is:
What is the email push like on the android phones? the storm is almost instant, and I an only a BIS user (not BES). How quickly do you get your emails on the ANdroid phones? What about truncated messages on android? (really bugs me about the BB.)
- 03-18-10, 10:29 AM #15
I loved my Storm 1 and loved everything it could do but moving to the Droid is a whole new world. What everyone said above is true.
- CrackBerry Abuser
03-18-10, 10:37 AM #16
- 264 Posts
2. A lot lot better than the Storm
2b Depends. A lot of websites detect it’s a phone’s browser and automatically switch to mobile view.
2c. Yes, but not at this time. Gotta wait for the update.
3. yes a ton of free useful applications. Paid ones are pretty much spot on, on price. Not to expensive.
4. pretty dang good.
5. yes very. Never going to a Blackberry again.
6. push email for Yahoo
7. push email for yahoo and better facebook app. That’s about all for now.Phone: Motorola Droid
OS: 2.1 ESE81
Recovery: ClockworkMod Recovery 184.108.40.206
Theme: Bugless Beast Stock until Darkedge is ported to BB v1.1
ROM: Bugless Beast V1.1
Kernel: Bekit 1Ghz LV 7X
Using ADW Launcher.
- 03-18-10, 10:38 AM #17
- 03-18-10, 10:39 AM #18
- 03-18-10, 01:26 PM #19
I will play a little devils advocate here
I miss my storm sometimes. Big thing is the sure press. I actually liked it. I miss being able to just touch the screen and not accidentally start an app. I actaully like the screen brightness better on the Storm. It just seems brighter. It is not as precise and more dumbed down in some respects but it is brighter.
My battery on the S1 was better too.
All that being said, I love the droid. I would rather have the same thing with no physical keyboard though. Depending on if Verizon gets the N1, I might look at switching.
The app support on the Droid kills the BB. I could not go back in that respect. I liked tweaking the Storm with Hybrids and such and the rooting of my Droid has been a lot of fun as well. Plus the roms are more of a "true" hybrid.
I worried about the email and the fact that I used my Storm for work. I kept reading that the BB was the only real device for business users. I call BS on that. The Touchdown App blows away anything the BB ever could do and it so much cheaper than the BB alternatives. I have not seen any real issues on on email push either. Is yahoo a little slower ... yes but it is still my primary email on the droid.
I will be going overseas in a month and I will be activating the Storm so I can have a smart phone in Europe. It will be an adjustment for sure but I know for a fact that the droid will be back in action when I return.
- CrackBerry Abuser
03-18-10, 10:58 PM #20
- 182 Posts
Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
- 03-18-10, 11:09 PM #21
When I got my storm, I loved it. That was years ago, now I love my droid, next? what is it going to be? It is just a phone, as I say, I will put it under my 3/4 ton Chevy, then throw rubber! What is left? Garbage! No matter what! In psych, we call it fixation, when someone defends inanimate objects to great degrees, just like a raccoon with shiny objects, it is not a hierarchy of intelligence, just a fixation, and unresolved conflict from childhood, no need to debate
- 03-19-10, 12:41 AM #22
Went back Storm1 for a few more weeks
I'm one of those lucky ones who had a positive experience with the STORM1.
I used it for a year with no major problems and it worked every day. Yes it reboots by itself sometimes and has a few other quirks, but it works and I never lost or missed a call in a year. However, last month I switched to the Droid Eris to see what the big deal was. While I was impressed with the android system it is completly different then BB. The internet experience was much better than BB. I was happy with the Android system but after 29 days I returned the Droid Eris and went back to the old Storm1. Mainly due to the Eris being to small and slow. Now I have to use my Storm until another android phone comes out that I like.
Returning to BB was like being with an old friend again. I know the STORM1 has way to many problems to keep using it much longer but it just feels so much better for me right now.
I think anyone interested in switching to another phone or operating system should just pick a phone and try it out. Only you will be able to determine if you like something. You can always switch back and it will only cost a few bucks.
- CrackBerry User
03-19-10, 09:04 AM #25
- 14 Posts
I agree with the other posts. Droid rules.
One thing that has pleased me: the Droid voice call quality at my house is better than the Storm1. Since the late 90's I have owned several Moto phones and one consistent thing about the ones I have owned is the voice call quality.
I have also noticed, that perhaps contributes to better calls, is that the reception at my house and around my area is a bit better.