Having to use DM to make a backup and restore always bugged me.

How does Blackberry Protect compare to Android restore (stock) for restoring contacts, calendar, apps.

Does one backup more data? Which platform is easier to restore and more complete?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-06-11 08:47 AM
    never got to experience BB protect but i would assume it would work quite well like the cloud backup that android has. I always used a 3rd party backup for the BB. several out there would backup contacts, calender email and even photos.
    09-06-11 10:09 AM
    Any reason why settings and screens cannot be backup with either?
    09-06-11 10:14 AM
    Since I'm rooted, I use Titanium Backup to backup and restore data and apps (including application settings and data). Things like contacts, appointments, and such, are all tied to Google, so they are pretty much backed up to the cloud already. It has me using Thunderbird on my laptop (instead of Outlook) since everything can tie in with Google - it keeps everything synced between laptop, Google, and SGS.
    09-11-11 10:27 PM
    Android restore (I assume you mean the market restore) and bb protect serve totally different purposes...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-11-11 11:27 PM
    They do? I thought besides the locate and remote wipe features of BlackBerry Protect, it also restored contacts, calendar and emails OTA.

That's what I'm wondering.

No so much App restoring. But on Android when you have a wiped or fresh device and you enter your email address, all your contacts, calendar, docs are restored.
    09-12-11 07:19 AM
    They do? I thought besides the locate and remote wipe features of BlackBerry Protect, it also restored contacts, calendar and emails OTA.

That's what I'm wondering.

No so much App restoring. But on Android when you have a wiped or fresh device and you enter your email address, all your contacts, calendar, docs are restored.

Its only restored to what the latest info is though, and only one gmail account. BB protect can manage multiple devices with completely different info and restore to any backup you select (based on date).

Chrisy likes this.
    09-12-11 09:47 AM
    Thanks, good info. I only have one email account and one device so that's good with me.
    09-12-11 09:50 AM
    Its only restored to what the latest info is though, and only one gmail account. BB protect can manage multiple devices with completely different info and restore to any backup you select (based on date).

is it possible to restore to an earlier point than the four restore dates that appear on the screen?
    09-12-11 05:27 PM
    Do you have more than 4 backups? I have 6 on my 9930 not counting the other 4 on my 9650.
    09-12-11 05:52 PM
    i do have more than 4. been using blackberry protect since the 12th of July bt only see backups since 18th august
    09-12-11 08:26 PM
    Do you have more than 4 backups? I have 6 on my 9930 not counting the other 4 on my 9650.
    i do hav mor than 4. installed blackberry protect on the 12 july, but i cant find that first backup it did on that day. on the screen where i choose dates to restore from on my fone, ther are only four dates
    09-12-11 08:32 PM
    If you re-registered BB Protect after an OS wipe or something like that and picked "Add Device" instead of "Swap Device", it might have removed the previous backups. "Add Device" actually wipes out the previous backups.
    09-12-11 08:43 PM
    If you re-registered BB Protect after an OS wipe or something like that and picked "Add Device" instead of "Swap Device", it might have removed the previous backups. "Add Device" actually wipes out the previous backups.
    but i dont think i did that. so your device, u can scroll further than 4 backups without doing anything but scrolling down? i have never wiped my device. will check properly tho, thanks
    09-12-11 08:48 PM
    Yeah I have 6 backups for one of my phones right now.
    09-12-11 08:52 PM
    chrisy thinking about making the switch back to BB, eh?

09-12-11 08:57 PM
    Yeah I have 6 backups for one of my phones right now.
    is ther perhaps another way to restore except through the fone? coz i cn backup from the website but cant seem to find an option for restore
    09-12-11 08:58 PM
    Don't think you can restore from the web. All restores are initiated from the client app.
    gunnerberry likes this.
    09-12-11 09:07 PM
    chrisy thinking about making the switch back to BB, eh?

Not quite yet. Still some things I'm waiting for.
    09-12-11 09:22 PM
    Not quite yet. Still some things I'm waiting for.
    like.......?
    09-12-11 09:23 PM
    Flash browser. May get the 9930 in a year or 6 months when the glitches are resolved. I'm seeing way too many error message threads. I hated that with my 9630. I had to reload the OS at least 10 times.

I also want to make sure the applications I need are compatible and available. Including BOA, Slacker, Orbitz, YouTube. I also would like a FFC but could live without that if video quality was good both taking and viewing. It's how I keep in touch with family.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-13-11 08:22 AM
    Slacker is supported on basically every BB device right out of the gate. Youtube is web capable so you don't really need an app, BofA I dunno, don't use it.

HD video recording works very well on the 9930/9900.

I've been on .353 since it leaked on the 24th of last month and there aren't really any major software issues. Actually, there are only two main issues I can actually verify since the launch 9930 OS until now (I don't necessarily consider peoples random complaints as actual bugs, because a lot of the time they don't know what they're talking about or it's service/activation issues with their carrier).
    1 - Back button bug, was fixed in the newer OSes within a week and was pretty easy to work around.
    2 - On earlier OSes occasionally opening an email would return back to Messages and you'd have to open it again.

The 9630 initial OSes were a joke and barely worked. Same with the Torch1 (not as bad, but it had various serious issues). Hardly the case with any of the OS7 devices...
    Chrisy likes this.
    09-13-11 01:32 PM
    The 9630 really made me not like BlackBerry. It's a shame. But since I had the 8330 before that, I know what BlackBerry is capable of. It can be good.

I'll give OS 7 device a try.
    09-13-11 01:36 PM
    Just the usual disclaimer of not doing a full data restore from an older OS to OS7, as that can cause weirdness. I just use BB Protect to do the initial migration.

But that shouldn't be an issue since you aren't going from another BB.
    09-13-11 01:39 PM
    I'd get a Bb if I was on capped data. But, even then, I won't use a phone needing a desktop software program, like Desktop Manager. Android has enabled me to easily wipe, and restore my device. Also, if I need to, I can use it in Linux. Unfortunately, Linux support for Blackberry devices is severely limited. The same can be said for Apple products.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    09-13-11 02:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD