I'm currently using the HTC EVO, and while it's a pretty sweet phone, I'm finding myself missing my Blackberry. I started with a Curve, then to a Pearl, the Tour, the HTC Hero, Samsung Moment, back to my old Curve and now the HTC EVO. While I don't argue the EVO is a great piece of hardware I'm finding myself missing my Blackberry (after only 4 days) and wondering if the new 9650 Bold is a real jump up from the 8330 and the 9630.

I really loved my Tour but traded it for the HTC Hero so I could try out Android. I'm hoping I can get some opinions on how much better the 9650 is than the 8330 and 9630? I know the hardware is better, but how about the feel and build quality?

Thanks!
    06-08-10 07:37 PM
    You can't really compare the 9650 to the 8330... The 8330 is extremely old.
    06-08-10 07:42 PM
    i had a 9630 on Verizon, and i have to say, if the only improvement made was the trackpad (vs trackball), this phone is well worth going back to. In addition it has wifi and all that jazz, I just like the build of this phone and the form factor so much better than the 8530 or the 8330 (both of which i had) But then again, I like my phones to have a little meat on their bones (since i have big fingers) lol
    06-08-10 07:47 PM
    There is definitely more than just a trackpad upgrade.
    06-08-10 08:34 PM
    Returning my EVO tomorrow. Just ordered the Verizon Bold.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-10 09:50 PM
    Ur not the only one I have the incredible and looking to trade it for the 9650 ,i miss the simplicity of the blackberry and also the keyboard, to bad I realized it late I just hit my 35 day,i, have called verizon many times trying to exchange it but nope they say is not possible, don't get me wrong the incredible is a amazing phone but I guess my bb state of mind keeps calling me.
    06-08-10 10:04 PM
    Same story here. Had a storm 1, went to a motorola droid. Wasn't feeling the whole droid os so I went back to the storm 1. I currently have a tour and am looking to pick up a 9650 on thursday. (Was playing with one today)

06-08-10 10:15 PM
    I'm in the same boat as most of you. Only had my Incredible since yesterday but other than the phone being great at everything, I missed the simplicity of managing my email and being prompted where I wanted to save files I wanted to download.

So I'm very sorry Incredible, even though your a bad *** phone, just remember...it's not you, it's me!
    06-08-10 10:16 PM
    HAHA you guys are to funny there is definitely crack inside our blackberries because i actually used an incredible for 5 days and already ordered my new bold and sold the incredible on ebay. But it was really an awesome phone and i have no idea why i went back to blackberry, but it just didnt feel right without one lol.
    06-08-10 10:19 PM
    I have to definitely agree with you muska! Lol! I bet you made out pretty good on your "Incredible" transaction too!
    06-08-10 10:22 PM
    I don't think I would like a device that doesn't have voice dialing with the bluetooth that is a real deal breaker for me. I have looked at other platforms and keep staying with BB
    06-08-10 10:27 PM
    First time bb user here.....after coming from a WM phone. Im mad i didnt swith earlier, checking email and texting is so EASY...plus battery power on these things are pro.
    06-08-10 10:31 PM
    I know! I tried it today an was like WTF! HAving to touch something on the screen defeats the purpose of "handsfree!"
    06-08-10 10:31 PM
    I played around today with the EVO as well. It's a fast and amazing phone, but I felt as though it would take me longer creating and editing Word and Excel documents on my phone when I'm away from my laptop. Trying to select a word or a particular letter from a paragraph seems to take longer on the EVO than on my BlackBerry. With my BlackBerry, if I come across a word I want to copy, I simply hold the Shift Key as my cursor gets to that word or letter. As I scroll it selects the text. When done, I simply let go. To copy it I can hit Alt+Trackpad. Or to cut the text I can hit Shift+Del. Then when I want to paste the text I can quickly hit Shift+Trackpad. It can't get any faster than that. Especially when doing a lot of editing. If it wasn't for me having those needs for editing documents, I wouldn't mind having the touchscreen and the better multimedia experience the EVO has to offer.

06-08-10 11:07 PM
    Been there, done that, just ordered new Bold will be here 06/10/2010. Nuf said.
    06-09-10 12:33 AM
    Comparing the Bold to the Curve is kind of unfair because its just completely better in every way. More memory, faster processor, higher screen resolution, better keyboard, wifi, better camera, etc . . .
    06-09-10 12:39 AM
    My curve was beat to sh%t and tossed down the stairs by my kid and even with a giant screen crack it still worked well. I studied the EVO for months, waited and waited, got one Friday morning, posted about my experiences here (somebody offered me some kind of shady offer for it via personal message), played with it for around 6 hours (after the 3 hours activation window), got several headaches and didn't understand why the thing was so giant and took forever to type on, turned it off, packed it up, bitched about it to my wife, returned it to an especially shocked Radio Shack dude Saturday morning, went to the Best Buy Mobile, bought the 9650, waited hours for Sprint to turn the damn thing on (twice, don't ask), got used to it Monday morning and I am a happy dude today.
    Android, I love your app market idea, Google Goggles sounds amazing, but I am getting old and I need a physical keyboard. Plus I don't want to actually have to read a manual to use a frigging phone.
    06-09-10 02:24 AM
    First time bb user here.....after coming from a WM phone. Im mad i didnt swith earlier, checking email and texting is so EASY...plus battery power on these things are pro.
    Same here!!! i was windows mobile (moto q9c, Samsung omnia) until i decided for the heck of it to activate an old 8830 in Feb to see what BB was all about. got addicted in a day and now have a 9650 and am LOVING it...wish i had started out with a BB instead of the q9c....
    06-09-10 11:15 AM
    I went from 9700 to Hero to 9630 to 9650. Hero was fun for a couple of weeks exploring apps and games but at the end of the day I needed simplicity and ability to fire off text and email with ease. Got better with a touchscreen device but never really mastered it. The predictive text was a big help. Battery life was horrendous on the Hero compared to all the Bberries I have had. I did make the jump from the 9630 to the 9650. Differences may be slight but are noticeable at least to me. I have personally experienced far less lag than on the 9630. The 9700 had far better battery life for me compared to 9630/9650.
    06-09-10 11:25 AM
    I went from 9700 to Hero to 9630 to 9650. Hero was fun for a couple of weeks exploring apps and games but at the end of the day I needed simplicity and ability to fire off text and email with ease. Got better with a touchscreen device but never really mastered it. The predictive text was a big help. Battery life was horrendous on the Hero compared to all the Bberries I have had. I did make the jump from the 9630 to the 9650. Differences may be slight but are noticeable at least to me. I have personally experienced far less lag than on the 9630. The 9700 had far better battery life for me compared to 9630/9650.

Just curious do you use the stock theme? I've used a few themes other than the stock and it seemed to run my Battery down fairly quick.
    06-09-10 12:08 PM
    There are a lot of non-stock themes that won't run down your battery. A lot of themes that use .svg animations though tend to kill it...
    06-09-10 12:48 PM
    I use different themes but tend to stick to the non-animation, non-transition ones. Same set up that I had on my 9700 but battery life is much less. I know due mostly to the smaller battery in the 9630/9650. But still, I might add, markedly improved over the Hero.
    06-09-10 01:21 PM
    I'd recommend the seidio 2600mah battery if you don't mind the added bulk (it's not much of a bulk at all though). Easily 90% more battery.
    06-09-10 01:30 PM
    I use different themes but tend to stick to the non-animation, non-transition ones. Same set up that I had on my 9700 but battery life is much less. I know due mostly to the smaller battery in the 9630/9650. But still, I might add, markedly improved over the Hero.
    Have you tried any of nates pro v 5 themes? Very nice. Runs smoothly on the Bold so far
    06-09-10 01:53 PM
    I'd recommend the seidio 2600mah battery if you don't mind the added bulk (it's not much of a bulk at all though). Easily 90% more battery.
    I will have to give that a try. I like the Epik case I am using right now though and probably would not work. I like the heft and feel of the 9650 right now. Any more weight and it may be as heavy as my Touch pro 2 I used to have. Now that phone is a brick if you have ever held one! lol
    06-09-10 02:00 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD