Hello Folks,

This is a brief experience on my transition from Blackberry to Android. If you're a Blackberry user considering transitioning, this may help you make a decision. If you're not, no reason to read this really.

I went from a Blackberry Torch 9800 and Blackberry Playbook both of which I bought the first day they were available to an LG G2x phone and ASUS TF300T tablet. Overview, I am happy with the change for the most part. Below I detail what I like better on which platform and why I have decided to stick with Android going forward and no longer really interested in BB10 like I was for so long.

Between phones, I really don't find that the Torch 9800 holds a candle to my Android. While agreed it's not the latest OS from Blackberry, I have used phones of a few buddies semi regularly with the latest OS and still find the android to be superior. Thus this overview below is focused more on the Tablet/Phone combination with a focus on the tablet and how the phone helps/hurts the tablet experience.

I replaced my phone 8 months ago and my tablet 2 months ago, something to keep in mind while reading this.

Screen size: Android winner
    When you have a phone that does everything your tablet does at 4", having a more portable tablet became useless to me. I found myself going back and forth between tablet and phone based on what I wanted to do, mostly using my phone unless I was browsing the web. Once I got my tablet my phone when at home is just a phone, when out and about town I use it for everything I would use my tablet for at home.

Outdoor Use: Blackberry winner
    Yes the playbook is much brighter than my TF300T, I can use the android in the shade but struggle to use it in the direct sunlight even on the brightest setting. Though overall I find I use my phone outside all the time anyway and not my tablet so while Blackberry did win, it's a mute point.

User Interface: Blackberry winner
    Here is one area I really miss the playbook. Watching a TED video while taking notes while googling a fact stated on the video is a joy on the playbook. Multitasking in a true sense is a joke on Android unless you root your device which I have not done and don't plan to do. Most everything much like apple goes into a suspended state. The real downfall is often on flash videos like watching TED from their website causes the video to start over when you go back to it which as you can imagine is a real drain.

Further, needing to press a button to unlock vs swiping from boarder to boarder, no contest I miss the gestures a great deal. Yes the widgets are nice and I use them, but I would trade them for the gestures and multitasking tomorrow.

Build Quality: Blackberry winner
    My TF300T just feels cheap, the screen wiggles a little bit when I hold it too which makes me think it's more fragile. Also the raised rubber thing on the playbook really kept it from getting scratched, the TF300T doesn't have that and I worry about scratches. Not that I have any.

Accessories: Android winner
    Most accessories it's a wash either way. In one big area playbook always bothered me. Mine and friends of mine couldn't always get a good connection for it to charge. Sure the playbook said it was charging but it wasn't and it would die. I had to get an app to show me the wattage just to make sure the alarm would be on to wake me in the morning. I even bought the cradle to help get past this problem, no luck, still existed. No such problem on the android.

Tethering: Android winner
    Yes blackberry has a more full featured tether than android, but android can tether up to six devices via wifi and my blackberry couldn't. I work from home and sometimes Comcast dies, being able to use my phones internet to get me through is very helpful. Something that to do with my blackberry took all sorts of extra work and not just a push of a button.

Applications: Android winner
    Yes everybody knows this, arguments on if you need em or not are there. Netflix, Xfinity, and real drawing applications are the clincher for me. Tether my tablet to my phone while driving a few hours with the kids in the back and handing them our tablets to watch Netflix or Xfinity is really nice. And having a real painting application for me is awesome, I love drawing on my tablet vs the junk that was available on the playbook as far as two months ago.

In the end, I am happy with my transition for the reasons above. Hopefully you'll read this if your on the edge and it will help you make your decisions.
    Marty_LK likes this.
    07-03-12 02:19 PM
    Just a head-up, I also have TF300 and found the stock launcher was bogging the system down badly with lagging and such, so I installed an alternate launcher...Go Launcher for Tabs...and all has been buttery smooth since. I guess the stock ICS launcher is such a resource hog that it affects the system badly. There are many other launchers that can used, but Go Launcher for Tabs has a nice and appealing dock.
    07-03-12 02:51 PM
    Having owned six berries over the last several years and having recently transitioned to a GS3 as my daily driver, the GS3 user interface is far more customizable than my 9810, which is now in a drawer, and my 9900, which I use for work. Each Android brand puts their own skin to make their individual user experience more unique. The TouchWiz of the GS3 is snappy and crisp. Hopefully, BB10 devices will kick it up a notch with a dual or quad core processor clocking at the higher Android speeds with at least 2 GB of RAM which the GS3 has. The London or Milan may fit the bill but are not expected out til early to mid 2013.
    07-04-12 10:13 PM
    Having owned six berries over the last several years and having recently transitioned to a GS3 as my daily driver, the GS3 user interface is far more customizable than my 9810, which is now in a drawer, and my 9900, which I use for work. Each Android brand puts their own skin to make their individual user experience more unique. The TouchWiz of the GS3 is snappy and crisp. Hopefully, BB10 devices will kick it up a notch with a dual or quad core processor clocking at the higher Android speeds with at least 2 GB of RAM which the GS3 has. The London or Milan may fit the bill but are not expected out til early to mid 2013.
    I so don't want quad core phones any time soon. Its just not needed.
    07-04-12 10:26 PM
    Thought the same until I actually tried an Android phone. I resisted the dark side for many years but I didn't think I could wait for BB10 so I am giving the Android platform a real go. I have had my GS3 for nearly two weeks and am realizing how much the platform has progressed in terms of the overall UX.
    07-04-12 10:36 PM
    The US version of the SGIII is the dual core Snapdragon S4 processor, not the Quadcore S3 on the world version.
    07-05-12 09:16 AM

Tethering: Android winner
    Yes blackberry has a more full featured tether than android, but android can tether up to six devices via wifi and my blackberry couldn't. I work from home and sometimes Comcast dies, being able to use my phones internet to get me through is very helpful. Something that to do with my blackberry took all sorts of extra work and not just a push of a button.
    Keep in mind the 7.1 phones can do this too.

Sent from my BlackBerry PlayBook using Tapatalk 2
    07-05-12 09:49 AM
    I bought a GS2 from a friend.
    Hated it, made me remember why I got rid of my first Epic.
    Never switched to it, just used as a wifi device for all of 24 hours. Sold it.

Thought I'd try the Evo 4G LTE.
    Traded my 4S for it. Liked it for the first few hours then all of a sudden was no longer interested.
    Traded it for a new 4S. My old 4S was 16 GB but I traded the Evo for a 32 GB this time. Winning? Lol.

Android just isn't for me anymore.
    Blackberry & iPhone combo is my thing now & probably will always be. Just not a fan of the new changes Google made with Android 4.0 (call me crazy but I think it looks ugly)

But I'm glad you're happy with yours! Enjoy your Android. ^_^

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    07-05-12 01:03 PM
    I bought a GS2 from a friend.
    Hated it, made me remember why I got rid of my first Epic.
    Never switched to it, just used as a wifi device for all of 24 hours. Sold it.

Thought I'd try the Evo 4G LTE.
    Traded my 4S for it. Liked it for the first few hours then all of a sudden was no longer interested.
    Traded it for a new 4S. My old 4S was 16 GB but I traded the Evo for a 32 GB this time. Winning? Lol.

Android just isn't for me anymore.
    Blackberry & iPhone combo is my thing now & probably will always be. Just not a fan of the new changes Google made with Android 4.0 (call me crazy but I think it looks ugly)

But I'm glad you're happy with yours! Enjoy your Android. ^_^

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Each OS platform meets a different need and is a matter of personal preference. I like the i4s but not the uni-body design and I don't like being basically told what I need and to take it or leave it. With the i4s, there is not the customizability of BB OS or Android OS. The Android OS focuses more on the user experience and desire for customization. I got tired of waiting for BB10 so I did my research of the i4s and an Android platform. Based upon my research, the choice was clear in terms of what met my needs and appealed to me most. Right now it is the GS3.
    jivegirl14 likes this.
    07-06-12 08:54 PM
    My work just upgraded me from a year old Curve 3G to a new Samsung Galaxy SII Epic 4G Touch.. Love it!
    Blacklatino likes this.
    07-10-12 11:41 PM
    Never understand these threads.... As much as I admire the OP honest comparison.... it is a matter of personal taste. what the OP put forth a merits are only a merit in fact for him.... For myself personally I could take his points and the BB for me would win.... Does not mean the OP is wrong or I am right.... just a different pointof view....What would be the point. I am unsure the point made of tethering devices... I have had my internet out on numerous occassions as I live in the country... When it happens.... I use the bridge off my phone for my PB... Tetherbridge on my two laptos.... just a matter of connecting and I am away..... Not an issue.... It is the post like this that cause flaming because again it is put forht as a fact....
    07-11-12 02:04 AM
    Never understand these threads.... As much as I admire the OP honest comparison.... it is a matter of personal taste. what the OP put forth a merits are only a merit in fact for him.... For myself personally I could take his points and the BB for me would win.... Does not mean the OP is wrong or I am right.... just a different pointof view....What would be the point. I am unsure the point made of tethering devices... I have had my internet out on numerous occassions as I live in the country... When it happens.... I use the bridge off my phone for my PB... Tetherbridge on my two laptos.... just a matter of connecting and I am away..... Not an issue.... It is the post like this that cause flaming because again it is put forht as a fact....
    With all due respect, the OP had posted it in the android section - so your point is moot. This section is for the appreciation for android devices along side blackberry devices, so what seems to be the problem?
    07-11-12 10:45 AM
    I also made the switch from BlackBerry to Android in December. From my Tour 9630 to a Droid Razr. I wish I stayed with a BlackBerry. I really miss the BlackBerry interface. It just felt right. Android for me (Gingerbread) has been glitchy and just a bit annoying to use. ICS is MUCH better but I would still take my OS5 (ok well at least a new BlackBerry) over that. Android does have a better selection, but the apps are of a cheesy quality. Email was much better on my BlackBerry. Just can't describe it, but it worked out better. Plus with Android, emails won't be automatic, you just have to refresh everytime you check. The only thing I like better on Android is the internet, but hey...my Tour was before tabbed browsing haha. Android is a great OS, but not for me. To each their own. Just find what works.
    07-11-12 06:20 PM
    I went from Blackberry to Android very recently. I was someone who would tell anyone who'd listen about my 9900, even converted a few people. I thought I "needed" a physical keyboard. I even worried about the stories about Androids having no LED, no push email, etc, etc. There was nothing wrong with my Bold, it remains a good phone. But I wanted more and I've got it. All I can say is my own experience in moving from Blackberry to my SG3 has been like night and day - I don't miss my Blackberry at all.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    07-11-12 09:16 PM
    Been reading through the Android forms because I'm thinking about the G3. I love my 9900 in general, but cant stand the hour glass. Every time I use google maps that damn hour glass pops up and I miss my turn. I want a fast responsive phone that I can customize like my berry without having to jailbreak anything. I'm not an iPhone hater, just don't want to be like everyone else.
    07-12-12 06:59 PM
    I went from Blackberry to Android very recently. I was someone who would tell anyone who'd listen about my 9900, even converted a few people. I thought I "needed" a physical keyboard. I even worried about the stories about Androids having no LED, no push email, etc, etc. There was nothing wrong with my Bold, it remains a good phone. But I wanted more and I've got it. All I can say is my own experience in moving from Blackberry to my SG3 has been like night and day - I don't miss my Blackberry at all.
    This seems to be the story of all BB converts. They think they need a physical keyboard but moving away from that is all too easy and once you do, you never look at a physical keyboard device the same again. As far as an LED light that's just another crutch that befalls BB users that they think they must have.

I'm glad you like your SG3, that's probably the best Android device out there and I'll go as far to say IMO the best mobile device hands down.
    07-12-12 08:27 PM
    This seems to be the story of all BB converts. They think they need a physical keyboard but moving away from that is all too easy and once you do, you never look at a physical keyboard device the same again. As far as an LED light that's just another crutch that befalls BB users that they think they must have.

I'm glad you like your SG3, that's probably the best Android device out there and I'll go as far to say IMO the best mobile device hands down.
    Converts doesn't mean that it doesn't work both ways. If BB10 devices prove their worth, you may see a shift back to RIM from Android.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-12-12 09:12 PM
    Been reading through the Android forms because I'm thinking about the G3. I love my 9900 in general, but cant stand the hour glass. Every time I use google maps that damn hour glass pops up and I miss my turn. I want a fast responsive phone that I can customize like my berry without having to jailbreak anything. I'm not an iPhone hater, just don't want to be like everyone else.
    blackberry traffic app is the best gps ive used on anyphone. go try and download it
    07-19-12 01:30 AM

Thank you, very true.... once you take the step you find you don't need those crutches at all. I already look at physical keyboards differently as in "do not need one." As for LEDs... I've got so many more customized options on my S3, plus all the other alerts. I am so glad I got it, given it's my first Android phone.

The S3 is fun and powerful and it's the one to beat
    07-19-12 09:19 AM
    Thank you, very true.... once you take the step you find you don't need those crutches at all. I already look at physical keyboards differently as in "do not need one." As for LEDs... I've got so many more customized options on my S3, plus all the other alerts. I am so glad I got it, given it's my first Android phone.

The S3 is fun and powerful and it's the one to beat
    I could not have said it better myself.
    07-19-12 11:22 AM

I appreciate the OPs comments and whether we (the readers) agree with all, partial, or none of his comparisons, they are his comparisons. Apples vs. Oranges. I like both. OP, thanks for posting.
    07-19-12 12:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD