I'm currently trying to decide whether to switch from my Android phone (G1 on T-Mobile) to a Blackberry (specifically the 8900). I liked my G1 for android, and all the things I was able to do after rooting it, (such as free tethering etc), and the variety of apps, a lot of which are free. Most of all though, I liked how fast and well it would sync with my google account. Any e-mail I get, almost instantly I receive it on my phone (without any 15 minute lag), and with it being a two way sync (anything performed on the device is also performed on the gmail account itself). Contacts were instantly synced with my google account as was google calendar. Despite this, there were some times where I felt the phone wasn't as reliable whenever the messaging app would mess up and mark some messages as unsent, or just plain wouldn't send messages, or sometimes even unable to make calls without a good 10+ second lag. Battery life was even worse. Anyway my G1 is currently broken after a sibling dropped it, and I needed a replacement phone. I was looking into the Blackberry Curve 8900 because it seems to have 3G, Wi-Fi as well as GPS, and at the same time it's going to be a sort of temporary phone that I might be buying used, and selling within 2-3 months. I say temporary because
    my entire family plan might be switched from T-Mobile to Sprint, at which time I'm hoping to get the Bold 9650.

How well & fast would you say that a Blackberry is at syncing with gmail with the unlimited data plan from each provider (which I believe includes BIS), compared to the G1? Also I have 6 email accounts (4 from gmail, and 2 from my organization which is also powered by gmail but has a separate domain name), and would I be able to sync all of them as well?

Btw I apologize for the horrible grammar, and I thank anyone who took the time to read through my post.
    07-01-10 07:21 PM
    The best opinion I got is personal experience with my own 8900 from AT&T. I honestly love my BlackBerry. I've had it since last September and it can do everything I want it too do! The 4.6.1 OS that comes factory installed is very quick with pretty much no lag and it boots up pretty quick compared to OS 5.0 running on it which I am now and have been for at least a few months now.

Now I can't honestly compare how it is to the G1 but I don't think you'll be too disappointed! There are plenty of free apps to do whatever you want or need. BlackBerry does lack free games, there are some but not nearly as many as I wish there was but whatever.

As far as Gmail goes, I've got no complaints. BlackBerry doesn't obviously have it as good with Google as Android but there's an app or plugin for everything to be able to sync you calender, contacts and email. There's an Enhanced Gmail Plugin that is available when you register your Gmail accounts with your BlackBerry which makes you able to have better control over your labels, starred items, etc. I've never really had any issues with my email 2 way syncing either. As far as I can tell it's pretty close to immediately...I get my emails on my BB right after they hit my inbox, they delete from my inbox right after I delete them on my BB.

I think you'll be happy. Especially if you already have an interest. And when you switch to Sprint and get your new Bold 9650, you'll be even happier

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-01-10 08:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD