Right now I can't really thing how Chrome OS can really be that useful, considering it's trying to compete in an established market with high expectations as to what a laptop and even a netbook can do.

But I remembered that you login with your gmail account, and all of your information is on the cloud.

so here's my theory to make it useful:

Have Chrome OS running on guest/pay computers in internet cafes, libraries, hotels, airports, and anywhere else that has courtesy computers.

You can pay if required, then login with your gmail information. then that specific computer will be exactly like using your own chrome OS computer, as you would have all of your settings, bookmarks, and used applications right at your fingertips. anywhere, anytime.

thoughts?
    12-15-10 01:41 AM
    kinda cool idea. Depends on if you really want all that info be transfer to that terminal though. Im not sure i really do. to just check my email is one thing but to have everything else available to be cached is another.
    12-15-10 11:07 AM
    kinda cool idea. Depends on if you really want all that info be transfer to that terminal though. Im not sure i really do. to just check my email is one thing but to have everything else available to be cached is another.
    obviously there would be a protocol in place to secure delete all cached information on logout.
    12-16-10 02:33 PM
    there would be protocol but google would have to really lock down the computers from the owners of cafes so they couldnt just install some simple software to copy the info elsewhere while the user was on the PC.
    12-16-10 02:37 PM
    I think schools could benefit greatly from Chrome OS's cloud. Having your projects, homework, research, presentations etc available in any classroom or at home would be convenient. No lost, forgotten or ruined/stolen papers.
    12-16-10 04:40 PM
    I think schools could benefit greatly from Chrome OS's cloud. Having your projects, homework, research, presentations etc available in any classroom or at home would be convenient. No lost, forgotten or ruined/stolen papers.
    This is actually a great idea. A school or business could just issue a email address for each student or employee that will allow them to acces school/work rescources from home or wherever, and not have to spend a bunch of time configuring the computer that they are using or finding the URL for needed webapps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-16-10 08:53 PM
    Or think of it this way: a school can deploy chrome OS computers to their entire network, then run a chrome OS account server, which would contain all user data and files, and link to important rescources. Then students can plop in front of any of the computers in the school, and have access to all of their files any everything. After school they can go to a chrome OS internet cafe and login to access all of their files right there. And once they go home they can either login from a chrome OS computer, or a modified version of chrome for Mac windows etc and access all of their files that way. It can impose restrictions such as filr sharing if they wish, and it will happen everywhere.

Thoughts?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-16-10 09:01 PM
    Or think of it this way: a school can deploy chrome OS computers to their entire network, then run a chrome OS account server, which would contain all user data and files, and link to important rescources. Then students can plop in front of any of the computers in the school, and have access to all of their files any everything. After school they can go to a chrome OS internet cafe and login to access all of their files right there. And once they go home they can either login from a chrome OS computer, or a modified version of chrome for Mac windows etc and access all of their files that way. It can impose restrictions such as filr sharing if they wish, and it will happen everywhere.

Thoughts?
    This is a fantastic idea! If Google is watching any of the forums on this subject, they better be paying attention. When I was in school, we were just getting into using flash drives for classes (some classrooms had ZIP disk drives on the computers), and the biggest issue was leaving the flash drive behind... lets just say I lost about 4 or 5 flash drives over the course of my highschool years due to them being left behind! ChromeOS could defenitley replace that need for flash drives and removeable media (to an extent).

If google were to partner with the Dept. of Education and get this rolling into our school systems sometime in the next few years, we'd be saving money on expensive updates to software, computer hardware and more!
    12-17-10 03:07 PM
    That's exactly what I was talking about. Earlier this month, my kid was driving himself crazy running between school and home with his Robotics competition project and presentation. Forgetting to copy the latest version, forgetting to print, losing the flash drive! Then there was a "save as" problem because the school runs on some ancient windows version and we are a Linux/Mac household. It was a nightmare...
    12-17-10 03:30 PM
    I applied for the ChromeOS pilot program, and I'm hoping that I'm still one of the select few that will get one of the notebooks to try out. I'm in school at one of the local community colleges and I would love to have ChromeOS available because of the cloud.

Makes it that much easier to be mobile! Maybe we'll see some chromeOS stuff on the Android devices (besides loading the tabs from your chrome session on your computer to your phone)
    12-17-10 03:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD