Hi all. I just got my Droid and love it! However, battery life sucks. I did a search and couldn't find anything. I'm looking for a good app killer. Thanks in advance.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-23-10 02:47 PM
    Advanced Task Killer. Now if you're running Froyo 2.2 I would not use it as task killers not only conflict with Froyo, but cause more problems than anything. Do you have the Droid 1 or 2?
    11-23-10 02:51 PM
    Advanced Task Killer. Now if you're running Froyo 2.2 I would not use it as task killers not only conflict with Froyo, but cause more problems than anything. Do you have the Droid 1 or 2?
    I've got the 2. Not running froyo. Where would I find that app? Thanks for your help

11-23-10 02:57 PM
    Yes you are, the Droid 2 was the first Android device to come preloaded with 2.2 Froyo software. So do not use a task killer cause it won't work. Try turning the screen brightness down and check to see how often you have your widgets updating. Many widgets like Facebook, Twitter, News, by default will update every 10-15 minutes...
    11-23-10 03:00 PM
    the best task killer is the built in one, dont install anything else and your phone will thank you for it.
    11-23-10 03:12 PM
    Yea Android 2.2 has a auto task killer in it. And they really do not recommend it for OLDER OS's either. They way the memory management protocol is made it's alot of over kill.
    11-23-10 03:13 PM
    ^^^ Thanks for confirming that guys. I was waiting for one of you to show up.
    11-23-10 03:16 PM
    Oops. Didn't know. I hope I find some solution. May get stronger battery, too.

11-23-10 03:17 PM
    Kind of sad to hear some verizon reps talking about how task killers are needed ...
    11-23-10 03:19 PM
    Kind of sad to hear some verizon reps talking about how task killers are needed ...
    Most of your Carrier Grunts will tell you they are needed. Most of the reps will tell you they are needed. When you get into XDA, or Cyanogen(mod) most of them will not even read a bug report if you are using a ATK. People who know how to push phones will recommend them, people who code ROMs HATE them.
    11-23-10 03:33 PM
    I like task killers because they not only improve battery life but also help me to micromanage my device, which my OCD loves!!! And I've yet to, no matter what all of these folk say, see any task killer do anything harmful to a phone. Everyone loves a reason to sound like they know what they're talking about, and I think this is one of those points. I'm not saying they're wrong, just that they purposefully (ignorantly) misinterpret something said to make it sound worse than it is. I'm all for a hyperbole, but embellishment for purpose of "doomsdayism" simply isn't respectable. Do some research online, I've read the documentation these people have posted and all it says is that these task killers are unnecessary or pointless, not, I repeat NOT, harmful. The kernel that auto ends programs on these devices takes forever to do it, and leaves your programs sucking up not only battery but ram as well.
    11-23-10 04:24 PM
    I like task killers because they not only improve battery life but also help me to micromanage my device, which my OCD loves!!! And I've yet to, no matter what all of these folk say, see any task killer do anything harmful to a phone. Everyone loves a reason to sound like they know what they're talking about, and I think this is one of those points. I'm not saying they're wrong, just that they purposefully (ignorantly) misinterpret something said to make it sound worse than it is. I'm all for a hyperbole, but embellishment for purpose of "doomsdayism" simply isn't respectable. Do some research online, I've read the documentation these people have posted and all it says is that these task killers are unnecessary or pointless, not, I repeat NOT, harmful. The kernel that auto ends programs on these devices takes forever to do it, and leaves your programs sucking up not only battery but ram as well.
    no one in this thread they are harmful. we said they are not needed. OCD or not, they aren't needed.
    11-23-10 04:30 PM
    Please do not install task killers. Android is perfectly capable of handling everything by itself. And if you need to kill an app go to settings- applications- manage applications- running- and you should be able to close the app. If its not listed there, check under "all". If it is still not there, reboot the phone, it takes 30 seconds anyways.
    11-23-10 04:33 PM
    Batterys on android phones suck in general, esp compared to BB. That's just the way it is. I don't use a task killer, my wife does, and believe me it don't make a lick of difference. It's just making you think you're doing something when you're actually doing nothing. The store reps love them because most of them don't have these phones and they don't know what else to do. They love Google Sky too. Like you use that much!
    11-24-10 04:41 PM
    I tend to suggest NOT using TKs as well.
    11-24-10 05:07 PM
    androids don't suck in general bro. Motorola droids trend to have good battery life. I have had a few.
    Batterys on android phones suck in general, esp compared to BB. That's just the way it is. I don't use a task killer, my wife does, and believe me it don't make a lick of difference. It's just making you think you're doing something when you're actually doing nothing. The store reps love them because most of them don't have these phones and they don't know what else to do. They love Google Sky too. Like you use that much!
    11-24-10 07:27 PM
    no one in this thread they are harmful. we said they are not needed. OCD or not, they aren't needed.
    wrong. the first poster said they do more harm than good. apply that with a "ful" at the end and voila.
    11-25-10 04:57 PM
    androids don't suck in general bro. Motorola droids trend to have good battery life. I have had a few.
    partially correct, simply because his/her scope was too small. it's smartphones in general that suck for battery life, with exception of only one, that I can think of, and that's BlackBerry, but can you really consider BB a "smart"phone?... I don't.
    11-25-10 04:59 PM
    partially correct, simply because his/her scope was too small. it's smartphones in general that suck for battery life, with exception of only one, that I can think of, and that's BlackBerry, but can you really consider BB a "smart"phone?... I don't.
    Nothing partial about it. I have owned several bb devices, and motorola droids last as long.
    11-25-10 05:38 PM
    Well what happens if you do use the ATK on Froyo?? I use ATK and I'm running Froyo...
    11-25-10 05:53 PM
    Well what happens if you do use the ATK on Froyo?? I use ATK and I'm running Froyo...
    you spend useless battery power shutting down apps that will start right back up again and use PC cycles. You can shut off programs that the OS NEEDS to run properly if you arent careful. You become OCD over things like memory, battery life and actually enjoying your phone
    Accidental Post likes this.
    11-25-10 06:07 PM
    Your device will self destruct.

J/K, may I suggest the app Autokiller Memory instead? It is an app that works with your device's built in task manager to specify how much free memory to maintain. The stricter you set the limits, the less apps and processes will be allowed to run in the background. So it does not "kill" apps, it doesn't allow as many to "open".
    11-25-10 06:07 PM
    It's best not to worry about task killers. It's a shame vzw reps download it onto phones for new users.

11-25-10 08:19 PM
    The problem with ATK's in general is that most of us came from the BB world where memory was at a premium and shutting down apps was a must because of memory leaks. With the Android OS we do not need task killers they do more harm than good and like howarmat says they are useless.

And let's not forget the fact that when you first get the phone you are customizing and downloading and installing everything. After you get your phone set up your battery life will be fine.
    Last edited by Accidental Post; 11-26-10 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Accidentally dissed howarmat.......my bad.....
    11-26-10 06:18 AM
    It's best not to worry about task killers. It's a shame vzw reps download it onto phones for new users.

If i walked into a store and they automatically installed ANY 3rd party application onto my phone we'd have words.
    11-26-10 08:19 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD