I have been a smartphone user for about 10 years now. I traded in my Palm V for a Kyocera 7135 in 99 or 2000. That was one of the first smartphones, using the Palm OS. Then Treo 600, Treo 650, then about 2 1/2 years ago, my trusty 8830WE.
    I do a lot of news reading, following Twitter, and clicking on links. The 8830 is not so hot for that, but everything else, is near perfect. I decided to go for a more web friendly phone, and the wifi hotspot feature of the Droid X, made that one my choice.
    After 1 day, I really miss my BB, lol. There is just so much fluff in this Droid. BUT, the twitter client, web interface is awesome. After the built in twitter client filled my contacts with twitter people. I found Twittercast which is excellent.

I will give it a while. I have been with Verizon since 1991, so I know they will take care of me, only with their 30 day return. I missed the beta for swype, which looks like it is worth a try. Hopefully, they will reopen the beta soon, before my 30 days is up.

What is Verizon's next BB coming? The 9650 just does not get me what I want in a screen size.

I now need to find a way to get my complete contacts transferred from Outlook. The export to GMail, only gave me partial info. If someone has 2-3 phone numbers, I only got one.
    Any ideas?

Thanks
    07-31-10 12:55 PM
    Swype is on your phone already, so don't be sad about that.

Hit menu from the home screen, settings, language and keyboard, input settings. There you can set swype as your keyboard. You'll love swype, just watch the tutorial. I'm using it now to type this and my text input is crazy fast. I live Swype.
    07-31-10 01:23 PM
    The Droid X is a awesome device very powerfull tool for me at work and it is the best smart phone I have ever owned. I was going to wait for 6.0 to be released but I no longer have any faith in Rim anymore.
    07-31-10 02:11 PM
    Try syncing from your BB to Google Contacts via Google Sync. Your cloud sync will take care of the rest.
    07-31-10 06:25 PM
    Wow give it a few more days. Then ask yourself wtf were you thinking missing that fossell
    08-01-10 04:10 AM
    Swype is on your phone already, so don't be sad about that.

Hit menu from the home screen, settings, language and keyboard, input settings. There you can set swype as your keyboard. You'll love swype, just watch the tutorial. I'm using it now to type this and my text input is crazy fast. I live Swype.
    Thanks for the heads up. I have been using it for a few days. It is really incredible how intuitive it is.
    08-03-10 11:52 AM
    Try syncing from your BB to Google Contacts via Google Sync. Your cloud sync will take care of the rest.
    The only way I have found is from Outlook to Google. Is there a way from BB to Google?

I only got the name, company name, and a phone number, IF it was an office number, no Mobile numbers at all.
    08-03-10 11:53 AM
    All BB needs to do is come up with a fast browser for their Storm and that would keep most Storm users. I don't want all the fluff and junk on the Droid-X but I want a faster browser.
    08-03-10 11:58 AM
    Just an amusing observation......
    I was at a VZ store yesterday to buy a battery and there was a professional looking fellow in there buying some new accessories for his new droid x. From his conversation with the rep, it seems that he has had his phone a couple of weeks.
    He gets a call.
    He fumbles with the phone.
    He misses said call.
    Says it was just his wife and can call her back.
    A discussion ensues with the tech about how clunky the PHONE feature is. (the tech also rocks a droid)

Just sayin.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-10 06:47 PM
    I am a ex blackberry storm user. I still love blackberry bit i took a leap to a new device. Android is a lot of fluff but i like it. I might consider going back to berry when their phones are up to par especially with memory. I really do find myself wishing this droid x had a lot.of the functions of the.berry but i've only been a droid user for a week now.

08-03-10 07:58 PM
    The only way I have found is from Outlook to Google. Is there a way from BB to Google?

I only got the name, company name, and a phone number, IF it was an office number, no Mobile numbers at all.
    Within the BB Desktop Manager, export your contacts into a csv file and upload it to your gmail account.
    08-03-10 07:58 PM
    Is there a way from BB to Google?
    When I upgraded my wife's Curve to an Incredible I used the Google mobile app on her BB to sync contacts. Then when we activated the new phone, the contacts synced with the new phone.

I tried mine from the desktop and a .csv file, but had a problem with the addresses all showing up in one line, not the separate address, city, state, and zip.
    08-03-10 09:49 PM
    I am a ex blackberry storm user. I still love blackberry bit i took a leap to a new device. Android is a lot of fluff but i like it. I might consider going back to berry when their phones are up to par especially with memory. I really do find myself wishing this droid x had a lot.of the functions of the.berry but i've only been a droid user for a week now.

i was feeling the same way with my first droid device but trust me you will get used to it and u wont turn back
    08-03-10 10:41 PM
    Just an amusing observation......
    I was at a VZ store yesterday to buy a battery and there was a professional looking fellow in there buying some new accessories for his new droid x. From his conversation with the rep, it seems that he has had his phone a couple of weeks.
    He gets a call.
    He fumbles with the phone.
    He misses said call.
    Says it was just his wife and can call her back.
    A discussion ensues with the tech about how clunky the PHONE feature is. (the tech also rocks a droid)

Just sayin.

Poor guy, so he had issues tapping one button to answer a call when it rang?
    08-04-10 01:44 AM
    I don't get it really, what's there to miss on a bb? maybe it's just me... I txt better, browse the internet better, better media and gaming experience. I don't miss my S2 at all.
    08-05-10 02:19 PM
    I know I will miss my Storm. The layout is just so nice. But I'm a Droid-Xer now.
    08-05-10 02:48 PM
    I missed the BB keyboard and navigation.

Yeah, it's a fossil and a lot of it is sub-par in comparison to Droid, but it's what i'm used too and its what I like.

I don't have to worry about Advanced Task Killer, I open whatever I want on my Bold and I have quick pull set to run at night when i'm sleeping, no memory issues like I had with my Droid.

Yes, the Apps are better, but I have found everything I *needed* on the Droid for free on BB as well....the navigation is a bit better and a few other things but by no means do I miss my Droid.

Not at all knocking it though, great phone, I just prefer what I prefer, no reason to knock a BB user.
    08-08-10 10:47 AM
    I am eligible for an upgrade so on Thursday I ordered a Droid X. Today, I cancelled it. I have a Storm 2 that I haven't had an issue with since I've had it. I got to thinking about it and I never browse the web (unless I'm bored outta my mind and I'm not around a computer which is very rare), I use basically no apps on my phone, I have NO social network sites (i.e. twitter, FB, myspace, etc). Basically I use the phone to make calls, (wild, I know!) and occasionally text. I don't watch movies or listen to music on it, I NEVER play games on it and 9 times outta 10, my 1 year old has it and is eating it and putting his grubby *** hands all over it! HAHAHA! Anywho, I agree 100% (I've played with the DX, also) that the Droid makes my phone look like something from Saved by the Bell but other than the "cool" factor to just say I have a Droid X, I literally have NO valid reason to switch right now. And as broke as I am, I can't think of a lot of other things to spend $200 on right now.
    08-08-10 05:47 PM

Yes, there is.

08-08-10 06:52 PM
    Yes, there is.

I wished I had known that before I deactivated my BB
    08-08-10 08:41 PM
    I am eligible for an upgrade so on Thursday I ordered a Droid X. Today, I cancelled it. I have a Storm 2 that I haven't had an issue with since I've had it. I got to thinking about it and I never browse the web (unless I'm bored outta my mind and I'm not around a computer which is very rare), I use basically no apps on my phone, I have NO social network sites (i.e. twitter, FB, myspace, etc). Basically I use the phone to make calls, (wild, I know!) and occasionally text. I don't watch movies or listen to music on it, I NEVER play games on it and 9 times outta 10, my 1 year old has it and is eating it and putting his grubby *** hands all over it! HAHAHA! Anywho, I agree 100% (I've played with the DX, also) that the Droid makes my phone look like something from Saved by the Bell but other than the "cool" factor to just say I have a Droid X, I literally have NO valid reason to switch right now. And as broke as I am, I can't think of a lot of other things to spend $200 on right now.
    U just saved me $200. For every reason u said, I was already thinking, and reading your post helped me back to that sense. I have no valid reason to get it. My Tour from a year ago is working just fine. I will continue to hold out for this flip 9670.

Last edited by not_addicted77; 08-08-10 at 09:23 PM.
    08-08-10 09:20 PM
    I synced my contacts by installing the google app on my blackberry , I already had gmail account setup from a computer . It works just like the vzw backup app does.Then when I got my adroid I just synced it with the gmail account and everything was there on my new android phone.

PS:
    I think you could switch the "ESN" back to activate blackberry then use google backup , sync with google , then activate the android again and re sync with google .
    Last edited by DavidNC; 08-09-10 at 06:40 AM. Reason: PS added
    08-09-10 06:35 AM
    Sounds like you don't really need a smartphone at all. You can save yourself $30 a month by getting a "dumb" phone.

08-09-10 09:51 AM
    Sounds like you don't really need a smartphone at all. You can save yourself $30 a month by getting a "dumb" phone.

Let me guess u have an X and u got offended?

08-09-10 10:01 AM
    Let me guess u have an X and u got offended?

Why would they be offended. The person he quoted said they only use the phone for calls and the occasional text. They even said they have no apps on their phone. It does sound like a normal phone would fit their needs better.

Who was offended?
    08-09-10 10:13 AM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD