Ok, so after 2 years with Blackberry, I decided to make the switch to Android given the current state of RIM got my DX 2 days ago and am wondering about this whole "rooting and unrooting". On my BB, I could backup, wipe, install hybrids, leaks, etc. with my eyes closed, I'm not ignorant when it comes to tapping into the internals of a device, but having been a "faithfull"follower of RIM, I never saw the need to learn anything else.

1. I assume "rooting" is the equivalent of "jailbreaking"

2. Should I wait until "froyo" is released for mine and then root?

3. Can someone explain what "more features" I can get out of my device by "rooting"

4. How easy or hard is it to root.

5. I figure there is "step by step" instructions somewhere if someone could post links.

6. Is there a way to organize the "app" screen with folders and putting the apps in folders like with my BB, if not it's ok too.

7. Please don't "flame" or be an a$$ as I'm being as sincere as I can possibly get.

TIA
    08-05-10 06:48 AM
    Ok, so after 2 years with Blackberry, I decided to make the switch to Android given the current state of RIM got my DX 2 days ago and am wondering about this whole "rooting and unrooting". On my BB, I could backup, wipe, install hybrids, leaks, etc. with my eyes closed, I'm not ignorant when it comes to tapping into the internals of a device, but having been a "faithfull"follower of RIM, I never saw the need to learn anything else.

3. Can someone explain what "more features" I can get out of my device by "rooting"

5. I figure there is "step by step" instructions somewhere if someone could post links.

6. Is there a way to organize the "app" screen with folders and putting the apps in folders like with my BB, if not it's ok too.

7. Please don't "flame" or be an a$$ as I'm being as sincere as I can possibly get.

TIA
    A BB convert here as well, would like a little insight on some of these things also please?
    08-05-10 07:09 AM
    What's up BigCat, hey what part of Michigan you from? Lansing here.
    08-05-10 07:14 AM
    What's up BigCat, hey what part of Michigan you from? Lansing here.
    Ann Arbor. Go Blue! lol.......
    08-05-10 07:16 AM
    Lol, that's ok, just like with devices, everyones entitled to what suits them best.
    08-05-10 07:39 AM
    Lol, that's ok, just like with devices, everyones entitled to what suits them best.
    I like U of M but am a huge Cornhuskers fan. I was floored when I heard the news that they will be joining the Big Ten next year. I can't wait!!!!!

But anyway...... Back on topic, lol.....
    08-05-10 07:42 AM

TIA
    Hi how are you,
    After been a BBerry addict for many many years I finally jumped the fence with the green dude....just added a couple of Droids to the lineup to see what the fuss was all about, now I'm finding it very hard to even pickup the Berrys ! oh well, back to your questions; yes you may say that rooting is the equivalent of jailbreaking, as of today there is a 2.2 non official Froyo leak available ROM for download and various developers creating custom ROMS as well, some of the benefits are customization of the device to your taste, again installing different OS or ROMS as they are called, KERNELS and what not among other, rooting is not a big deal as long as you get well informed, download the require software properly and follow the instructions patiently....I rooted my Droid within the first week, piece of cake, then got the Incredible which followed thru the same road, while quite a different process, very doable ! now they are both overclocked running even faster than what they already were.............this link might help you: [VIDEO] Root DroidX - Android Forums
    Welcome to the Green-Side, good luck and enjoy !!!!!!
    08-05-10 07:49 AM

Yes, basically. It allows you to have access to more areas of your device.

You don't have to. You can always unroot before FroYo comes out.

Basically you get free wireless tethering, the ability to removed bloatware locked into the device by Verizon/Moto. A lot of other cool features too.

Actually, at this point, all it takes is one click

No need

I don't use folders but I'm pretty positive you can.

Gotta learn somewhere right?

TIA
    Responses in the quote. Go to droidforums.net to find out more about that one click root. It should be in the Droid X section under "Hacks".
    08-05-10 11:03 AM
    Android Central has some pretty good info on rooting the Droid X. Heres a link to the forums. Lots of good info for you.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/motorola-x-roms-hacks/
    08-05-10 01:24 PM

You should root then upgrade to 2.2. I don't think froyo has been rooted yet.

Not really in the app drawer. However, folder Organizer and App Organizer both by the same developer, allow you to "assign" your apps to different "Labels", think folders, which are predefined, and you can add your own Label names for custom folders. Apps can be assigned to one or several different Labels/folders. then you can create a folder on your homescreen by doing a long press on an empty area and choose shortcut, Folder Organizer/App Organizer Label, select the label, choose your icon, done.
    08-05-10 01:38 PM
    I'm just learning rooting and flashing ROM's on a MyTouch I had around. I read and read on XDA dev's and got completely overwhelmed, seemed alomst impossible compared to blackberry and the iPhone. I ended up checking out a site called the unlocker or something to that effect, layed it out in plain english and i was rooted and flashing ROM's in five minutes.

Check that site out!
    08-05-10 01:52 PM
    YES

YES. In some case when upgrading to froyo, root will be lost.

You can load custom ROMs, You can install apps that require Superuser privileges such as Wireless Tether. By the way, the latter is great. I use it for my laptop all the time and Verizon doesn't charge me the B.S. $20 extra a month.

Depends on the phone but in most cases a "one-click" root method is available. It's only a matter of time.

xda-developers Search for your phone and go to the appropriate forum

No. There is no need to. That is why you have 7 customizable screens.

No problem Noob. I'm only kidding. I was a noob at one point . I left my crappy Blackberry Storm and got a Droid Incredible. Best phone I ever had. The XDA Developers forum is easy to follow for custom ROMs and rooting. In no time, you won't feel like a noob.
    TIA
    Check my answers.
    08-06-10 06:07 AM

TIA
    Rooting is limited, easiest on 2.1 so far but not on all devices (some has locked ROMs) but you'll have to wait until a 2.2 root comes out, your X is rootable though (check Android Forums). When rooted, you can add many apps that normally aren't available to a normal Android, but be aware of them because some can be malicious (accessing your personal information).

You get 7 home screens, there'll be tons of room to organize apps.

Also to improve battery life, grab the app that lets you put widgets on the phone's desktop to toggle on/off WiFi, bluetooth, sync services, 3G services, etc. and get taskiller.
    08-06-10 09:56 AM
    That Droid x root video sucks!
    Nice of them to do it but the jumping around is quite annoying.
    the later vids in that thread are good though
    Last edited by bigbadwulff; 08-06-10 at 02:09 PM.
    08-06-10 12:49 PM
    Also to improve battery life, grab the app that lets you put widgets on the phone's desktop to toggle on/off WiFi, bluetooth, sync services, 3G services, etc. and get taskiller.
    Be very careful with task killers. Be aware what you are shutting down. The Android OS does not need it but if you do use it make sure you know what you are doing. For example, if you kill the clock, your alarm will not go off. If you kill Google Voice, you won't get notifications of calls and text messages.

Don't bother killing GMail or Voice Dialer as it will start up again within an hour or so.

And don't kill anything that begins with com.* Learn to use the ignore lists so that you'll never make a mistake in killing apps.
    08-08-10 02:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD